Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TypicalEngineer

How to Sims?

17 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

So I got a Sims from an American container mission. 

First battle was decent. This thing is very manouverable, but the guns take some getting used to when your comming from russian ships.

Overall first impression is that is it a decent little ship.

Any pointers to get the most out of her? I retrained one of my 10 point captains with the following build. PM, LS, SE, CE.

She appears to be a knifefighter, but I got thouroughly mauled by a Maass in my first battle. Might be me getting used ti the guns though.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,727 posts
23 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

So I got a Sims from an American container mission. 

First battle was decent. This thing is very manouverable, but the guns take some getting used to when your comming from russian ships.

Overall first impression is that is it a decent little ship.

Any pointers to get the most out of her? I retrained one of my 10 point captains with the following build. PM, LS, SE, CE.

She appears to be a knifefighter, but I got thouroughly mauled by a Maass in my first battle. Might be me getting used ti the guns though.

Your torpedo selection will decide if you're going to take a harrasser role with the sea mines (long range/slow speed) or a cap contester/ambusher with the assault torpedoes (short range/high speed)

[SALVO]
Members
20,153 posts
20,002 battles

In randoms, use the long range torps.  In coop, you can get value out of the short range ones.  The long range torps are great for firing into smoke, and worthwhile using for stealth torping. Just remember to increase your lead, because they're very slow.  And don't expect massive damage, because they're pretty weak.

As for how to play a Sims, yes, it's a knife fighter, but it's real strength is more than just looking to pick fights with DDs.  You want to be scouting, spotting torps, and grabbing caps, occasionally smoke shooting and stealth torping.  The Sims isn't a DD with huge damage potential.  It's a lot better at doing the little things that help your team win.  But she's VERY good at doing that.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
552 posts
25,846 battles
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You want to be scouting, spotting torps, and grabbing caps, occasionally smoke shooting and stealth torping.  The Sims isn't a DD with huge damage potential.  It's a lot better at doing the little things that help your team win.  But she's VERY good at doing that.

This!

The Sims gets overlooked far too often.  She is dangerous and the best jack_of_all_trades in the game.

Love her.  Have ranked out in her.  1000+ battles overall in her.

Sabene

ps_ suggest you change the SE to BFT.  Also, take the AA mod for increased AA range.  Take DFAA as Sims is quick enough without the speed boost

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

I have DefAA equipped. I kind like end on SE on my destroyers. To many matches I end on low hit points.

I need to take her out again soon to see how it goes.

[SALVO]
Members
20,153 posts
20,002 battles
4 hours ago, TypicalEngineer said:

I have DefAA equipped. I kind like end on SE on my destroyers. To many matches I end on low hit points.

I need to take her out again soon to see how it goes.

TypEng, SE is always a good choice on DDs that can end up brawling, such as the Sims.  Those extra HP can often mean the difference between life and death. So, good decision to stick with it.

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

Thanks. Since this is my first high tier USN destroyer, any gameplay tips for someone who is used to a more russian gunbote style of play?

I've noticed that my concealment is middle of the pack'ish, even with CE.

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles

Hey

I wish they would give a buff to her detection range, make her a little more stealthy to be competitive with others in her range, especially with her small size, less guns, questionable torps, it would help make it a much more relevant DD at T7 these days.  Her only redeeming quality is that turning circle/rudder shift.  She fun but needs more teeth.

Pete

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

She does turn on a dime and those turrets are quick! They seem to do decent damage if I manage to hit something with them.

Need to get a couple more battle under my belt so see how I should play her the best. It is something completelt different from whst I'm used to.

Members
1,592 posts
4,360 battles

Ah, Sims...despite its reputation as a “meh bote,” I think I might have preferred it to the Mahan. True, it’s down on DPM a bit...but, it’s balanced around 4 guns with a better RoF (or at least it used to be) which makes the DFAA version superior once both are sporting the same number of guns - mostly trivia there, because no one does that in randoms =).  

I sailed both in pretty similar fashion - kill the red DD, abuse spotting mechanics, profit.  If you can show up from unexpected directions and maneuver hard in close, your turrets will stay on target and most everyone else’s will not - and the DPM of a ship that cannot hit you is zero.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
968 posts
8,432 battles

The Sims does better when you spec and flag it out to min-max DOT damage. You don't have the raw alpha of pretty much every other tech tree and premium ships in the same tier bracket. She's a utility and support boat that can knife fight because of her ROF and rudder shift, not the damage she does.  The boat is good for stalling a push and punishing DD that blunder into an area carelessly. 

The issue is the Sims is far outclassed by the Haida and Blys when it comes to guns. She is outclassed by the Shiratsuyu/ Aktasuki and the Maass when it comes to torpedoes and again far outclassed by the Lenny when it comes to speed. So you really have to leverage your strengths, Utility and DOT, to make her shine. Without at least an iota of support from...someone... this can be a massive chore. The boat is fun thought and it does have strengths but she has been power crept a bit. 

Edited by Vekta408

Members
2 posts
1,251 battles

Sims is one of my favorite ships in this game. Basically, you're a rogue, not a tank. Dart in, do some damage, haul hindquarters to get out of dodge. I prefer the long range torps, people honestly forget about them once you've fired them. They're fairly stealthy torps and good to get a nasty surprise on the enemy. Your maneuverability is amazing, and if you work on your aim and dodge like crazy you can get a lot of shells to miss. Spot, spot, spot, spot - start shooting when your target is under fire. Don't engage in 1v1 fights if you can avoid it - you want to be the hardest target to hit.

Love this ship. 

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
676 posts
3,111 battles
On 7/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, Crucis said:

In randoms, use the long range torps.  In coop, you can get value out of the short range ones.  The long range torps are great for firing into smoke, and worthwhile using for stealth torping. Just remember to increase your lead, because they're very slow.  And don't expect massive damage, because they're pretty weak.

As for how to play a Sims, yes, it's a knife fighter, but it's real strength is more than just looking to pick fights with DDs.  You want to be scouting, spotting torps, and grabbing caps, occasionally smoke shooting and stealth torping.  The Sims isn't a DD with huge damage potential.  It's a lot better at doing the little things that help your team win.  But she's VERY good at doing that.

8 hours ago, Algaean said:

Sims is one of my favorite ships in this game. Basically, you're a rogue, not a tank. Dart in, do some damage, haul hindquarters to get out of dodge. I prefer the long range torps, people honestly forget about them once you've fired them. They're fairly stealthy torps and good to get a nasty surprise on the enemy. Your maneuverability is amazing, and if you work on your aim and dodge like crazy you can get a lot of shells to miss. Spot, spot, spot, spot - start shooting when your target is under fire. Don't engage in 1v1 fights if you can avoid it - you want to be the hardest target to hit.

Pretty much this. Sims has the carrying capacity of a wet paper bag, so don't expect to do all the heavy-lifting on your own. But it's a great support ship, and as such, you pretty much never want to be by yourself; always try to leverage the strengths of your allies to offset your own comparatively weak firepower. Work with other DD and use your maneuverability to help your buddies overwhelm the red destroyers, then go hunting BB with your sea mines (they're very weak, but if you're lucky, you can force damage-cons, or even make a flood stick to them if they've already damage-conned fires) and spotting for your friendlies. Rain down bad news on battleships and cruisers from smoke whenever you can.

--Helms

[S_B]
Members
423 posts
12,661 battles

I'm using IFHE on my Sims with a 14pt captain. I just wanted to get better HE damage and it does help the damage totals. Plus it will wittle other ships down quicker. I gave up SE to try it out. Sims is good in a knife fight against many DDs just not all in the Tier 7 and 8 range as some may have a larger health pool.

Sign in to follow this