You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronShibby

Nerfing Gaede Back to 128's

12 comments in this topic

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles

Ok After reading the recent post about Gaede in this forum, i'm going to rebuild the Captain and adjust Gaede back to 128's.  The primary benefit/s i'm looking for are; 

Increased RoF and so better results agains't dd's using AP(?).

Increased torp range (but slower). 

Better Turret Rotation.

Considering this is an excellent ship, I think the wins and results should be a lot better than they are.

I have the luxury of a 13 point captain,  I usually train the captain's xp up to 50% of what it needs (for captain points) and buy the rest with free XP ... and I never NEVER spend free xp on anything that isn't captains skill points. I want 10pts in every dd captain and when i don't have that i'm grinding, until I get there. 

Present Captain Skills are: 

PT, PM

EM, TA

TAE

CE

I'll drop Priority target as I usually know when i'm being shot at - it's right after I get spotted. I'll drop Torp Acceleration as well, giving me 3 spare points; and i'll pick up 8.5k torps which will now exceed my detection range by 2km.

I'll drop Main Battery Modification 2 in favour of Aiming Systems Modification - net result will be that the 5% loading time penalty goes away and accuracy increases 7%. However the 15% rotation bonus goes away ... i'll have to live with it, or use A and D keys for aiming when necessary (what's new?).

The 3 extra points will go straight into BFT for RoF increase, as you'd expect. 

I'll keep TAE instead of DE; it's a close call but more torps seems more helpful than setting fires. 

The present win ratio and stats are not up to scratch; i'll post an update after some results come in on the new build. (My concern is the 0.5 ships destroyed per battle.)

5b406796c4390_Screenshot(167).thumb.png.931a6f53d348424008c0d62bc1a07c38.png

[TBW]
Members
7,383 posts
13,562 battles

You really should grind at least one 19 point Captain so you can get elite XP to use on your other captains. The only good thing about the big guns is that you can Cit cruisers from further out.

[STW-M]
Members
2,931 posts
6,969 battles

Basically, the big guns are for citadelling cruisers.

Go with the 128s for everything else.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,794 posts
4,571 battles

You will most likely overpen if shooting AP with the 128's at DD's. This starts working at tier 8+ when some destroyers become chubby and there is enough space for the shells to arm.

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles

I've had 4 wins to 1 loss; getting 1 kill or better per game. So, MM decides to step in:-

5b40ab397f4ec_Screenshot(170).thumb.png.d4313fec7721c7334e5b64c491d06ff4.png 

Not only a wierd setup with as many planes as ships; not only did we have half the team ignoring chat; but I had the "Why do you care so much, it's just a game" f***wit on my team, who was no match for the opposing Graf Spee plus an onslaught of airborne torps. 

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You really should grind at least one 19 point Captain so you can get elite XP to use on your other captains. The only good thing about the big guns is that you can Cit cruisers from further out.

Yes i'm working on that ... I have a few premium ships and have kept a bunch of elite destroyers from further down the chain. A couple of my guys are at 15. 

I'm having good results with the 128's so far, the Gaede will stay in my collection for sure. 

I'm a bit tired of getting a few kills in a game, then the team i'm on melts anyway and we lose. This means no elite xp are awarded despite your high stats <deep sigh>

Anyway the Z39 will go to 19pts, then Asashio, then maybe Graf Spee or MAASS i'm not sure. I've always thought a 19pt Clemson would be fun :)

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

You will most likely overpen if shooting AP with the 128's at DD's. This starts working at tier 8+ when some destroyers become chubby and there is enough space for the shells to arm.

Yes lately i'm finding it's HE for a while until the dd's are gone, or at least the one or two nearby; then switch to AP for most of the rest although i'll change to HE for bb's if i've got time for the changeover.

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
5 hours ago, IronShibby said:

The present win ratio and stats are not up to scratch; i'll post an update after some results come in on the new build. (My concern is the 0.5 ships destroyed per battle.)

It's now at 0.6 so i'm going to list this approach as successful. 

128's FTW!

[TBW]
Members
7,383 posts
13,562 battles
3 hours ago, IronShibby said:

I'm a bit tired of getting a few kills in a game, then the team i'm on melts anyway and we lose. This means no elite xp are awarded despite your high stats <deep sigh>

What do you mean no elite XP is awarded, you get Elite XP win or lose just not as much for a loss. A good place to farm XP of any kind is in the Operations, credits too for that matter. Unfortunately Destroyers are not so easy to play in them. The bots are better than the best Unicum at dodging torps. Once you get the first 19 pointer they start coming quickly.

shot-18_07_07_01_01.26-0736.thumb.jpg.bb6deb9487dcad6c40188baf955da30b.jpg

That is with Commander and Free XP signal and camos maxed out. 34,000 + Commander XP is cool. Level them up fast it does.

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

What do you mean no elite XP is awarded, you get Elite XP win or lose just not as much for a loss. A good place to farm XP of any kind is in the Operations, credits too for that matter. Unfortunately Destroyers are not so easy to play in them. The bots are better than the best Unicum at dodging torps. Once you get the first 19 pointer they start coming quickly.

shot-18_07_07_01_01.26-0736.thumb.jpg.bb6deb9487dcad6c40188baf955da30b.jpg

That is with Commander and Free XP signal and camos maxed out. 34,000 + Commander XP is cool. Level them up fast it does.

Thanks i will look into that. On your picture there's a 'Daily Win Bonus' 200% ... that seems to indicate that you won the battle? I still need to learn all the ins and outs of how XP works. 

For example, in a match where i sunk 4 ships and got no elite xp, it may have been due to a low tier or some other game mechanic but I thought it was because of the loss.

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Yes i've been avoiding ops due to my preference in dd's (and the fact that they don't seem well-suited to it). However i'll try that advice, i've got some cruisers and battleships lying around. 

[BIER]
Members
183 posts
3,144 battles

The 150s on the Gaede are pretty much worthless.

You take a HUGE hit to your DPM for both AP and HE, and only gain about 20% in your HE Fire chance/minute.

Unfortunately, without IFHE, you don't get any better HE penetration (where it counts, 25mm is still non-pen).

So, the 150s are pretty much good for better AP penetration against cruiser armor out past 6km, and that's it.  Inside 6km, the good old 128mm AP actually will pen quite well, and 128mm works just as well as 150mm shooting AP against BB superstructure (and as badly against every other BB part).

The 150mm on the Z-23, however, is definitely the shiznit. MUCH better DPM all around, and a big HE fire chance bump. In fact, the only downside of the 150mm Z-23 is that it can't take advantage of BFT/AFT.  But, realistically, you probably shouldn't be taking either on any KM DD captain, so it's not a big deal.