Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

One of those serendipitous Luck moments

11 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,511 posts
14,640 battles

In my Mutsu, I'm in a closing battle with an opposing Mutsu.  Not in the 7km torp range yet, but will probably be in range at the torp run distance.  So I line up a shot, not on the lead marker, but assume he will turn in as we close, so I pop two off in between the marker and his current location.  We exchange vollys... and then....BAM....a torpedo hits...but it didn't hit the Mutsu....I sank...a what?  A destroyer?

Never saw him.  In fact, I didn't even know there was a DD on that side of the map. Given a Mutsu torp range is 7km, he had to be inside of 7...but still concealed.  This also meant he was likely lining me up.  Lining up that oblivious Mutsu captain (me!) for a kill shot.  And I was...really oblivious to his presence.  I shot all of two torps the entire game.  Neither come close to the target of aim, but one hits an unseen enemy DD lining me up for a kill.

2t.thumb.jpg.aa1ea98d83b4b5bbf1ffdca1b5b6dcb6.jpg

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
6 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

BAM....a torpedo hits...but it didn't hit the Mutsu....I sank...a what?  A destroyer?

Maybe the DD's icon blended in with the other ship's on the mini-map. Or it was not detected, though the other ship was.

I do like serendipitous kills though. I think the main reason I like my Gearing is those 16.5 km  torps. It's amazing how many times I get hits on ships that I either didn't aim at or didn't even know were there. Last game I saw a DD smoke about 16 km away and thought the smoke might be worth a torpedo salvo. About two minutes later I sank a Kutuzov. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[RLGN]
Members
10,052 posts
19,462 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I do like serendipitous kills though.

Mutsuki on Neighbors; line up on a cruiser and let fly...

...bam...bam...Double Strike...

Huh? What? 

Turned out an undetected destroyer was nearby...

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles

All three of my double strikes have been serendipitous. Two have been in British cruisers, throwing out torps in panic on the retreat (one is always aimed, the other luck), and one was in the Anshan, dumping torps on spec into the mouth of Two Brothers, again on the run. In this latter case I knew enemy ships were on their way up, but the torps were not specifically aimed and I never expected to sink one of them, let alone two.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,708 posts
9,439 battles

Kamikaze is the only t5 DD w/ 5.4km detect, it's no surprise you never saw him.

[CAST]
Members
1,541 posts
7,991 battles

Those bonus kills are quite a surprise when they happen.

I did it with a cruiser volley a while ago.  I fired a full volley at an enemy cruiser that was coming between two islands.  He was turning away slightly and most of my shots landed near side of his ship.  I got a devastating strike on a DD that must have been passing him, or was sitting with him passing.  Either way, it surprised me, and must have really surprised the DD to be deleted without being spotted.

[H_]
Members
1,900 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All three of my double strikes have been serendipitous. Two have been in British cruisers, throwing out torps in panic on the retreat (one is always aimed, the other luck), and one was in the Anshan, dumping torps on spec into the mouth of Two Brothers, again on the run. In this latter case I knew enemy ships were on their way up, but the torps were not specifically aimed and I never expected to sink one of them, let alone two.

I'm with you in this !!!!

I've had several that ended up with 3 ships being hit with a single volley from my Kagero (16 torpedoes)....  One with a kill and a 80% hit and then, several seconds or so later another kill on a DD I never ever saw....

Blind luck sometimes.....

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,511 posts
14,640 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

Kamikaze is the only t5 DD w/ 5.4km detect, it's no surprise you never saw him.

Correct.  But I usually give myself credit for at least having enough Situational Awareness to know a DD could be near.  Either because of a previous sighting or just realizing a DD hasn't been spotted in a while and one is still "somewhere" in play.  When I have that SA, I think "where could he be"..."what is he planning".  What WASD do I need to implement in order to throw him off.  In this case..I was TOTALLY...COMPLETELY....OBLIVIOUS.  That's on me.  I totally lost my DD SA.  

And I was 100% focused on the Mutsu as we appeared to be headed for a brawl.  i was a proverbial sitting duck (non WASD) for the Kami.  Well, to be fair, i was throwing some WASD into the equation, but that was because the Mutsu could be shooting torps at me!  But the Kami had me if he was patient.  But he just happened to connect with my torp meant for the Mutsu...and a very low probability shot at the Mutsu at that. 

The surprise was all the more because I had lost SA.  I've caught DDs like that before, but I knew they were out there...or could be...there.  This is the first time I can remember catching one that close with zero SA on my part.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,911 posts
2,810 battles

Did the DD driver comment?

[-AGW-]
Members
769 posts
10,900 battles

A couple weeks ago I let go a full GK salvo against some cruiser peaking out from an island. There must have been somebody between us with high concealment 'cause I got rewarded by a devastating strike against someone I never knew was there. Damn was he complaining in chat afterwards...  

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

How many times have you been undetected yet nearly killed because you are forced to maneuver past a friendly that is being fired upon?  I've killed them that way and certainly experienced the flip side myself a time or two.

Sign in to follow this