You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Are Legendary Upgrades Worth the Detriments?

123 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

I am working my way through the Legendary mission for the Gearing.

–15% to detectability.

+5% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship.

+15% to main battery loading time.

+5% to torpedo tubes reload time.

The lowered detect-ability might be nice, No longer with Shimi's see me first. However, I usually see them just after I'm spotted. The 5% dispersion is about the same as a good camo. I suppose a bit more would be nice too.

Unfortunately, I've used good skills and modules to get a faster torp and gun reload. I really don't think the payoff is worth it here , at least for a gunboat or general purpose Gearing. Perhaps for a torpedo build.

What do you think?  

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles

the YY module makes me puke... it went from instant yes, to why bother so fast. when there was no radar penalty it was good.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,591 posts
12,334 battles

The Groz special module is actually decent, if you compare what your swapping it out with, you gain a faster reload and faster turrets, 

Members
871 posts

Is there a post WIP report from FLAMU or other big CC yet? Because I kinda doubt anybody has earned these yet. 

Anybody?

Based on Flamu report while in development I am pursuing Yamato and Hindenburg. Big no to Gearing. Question Yueyang?, 

A lot of games to get these so it is a slow process. 

It appears that these unique mods - no longer legendary- will combine with the mods we have now. Mods have to go in different slots. Hindenburg is very interesting for mods leading to a tanking,  CA.  Add the unique Captains and these can be interesting;)

Yamamoto on Yamato with dc mod, and unique mod is the plan

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[WOLFB]
Members
2,566 posts
10,447 battles

In theory the Gearing mod is pretty strong IMO. You trade a little DPM for Shima concealment (which is the best among all T10).  But so far I never met a single Gearing running this module.

Some modules are really good, like Yamato or Zao module.

Some modules are really meh. The benefit they offer isn't enough to makes you change your current module like Henri module.

And some modules are straight up garbage like Shimakaze module

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles

All my tier 10 ships have crap upgrades (Gearing, Khaba, Moskva), it’s so frustrating 

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
401 posts
3,317 battles

The Worcester mod, which is the first Tier X that I'm actually in range of getting, looks interesting.  Yamato and Hakuryu mods, next ships on my list, are just straight up buffs and almost definitely required acquisitions now.   Even though I'm not interested in that line, the Yueyang mod just baffles me. You just straight up nerf yourself with it.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
On 7/7/2018 at 12:47 AM, Snargfargle said:

I am working my way through the Legendary mission for the Gearing.

–15% to detectability.

+5% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship.

+15% to main battery loading time.

+5% to torpedo tubes reload time.

The lowered detect-ability might be nice, No longer with Shimi's see me first. However, I usually see them just after I'm spotted. The 5% dispersion is about the same as a good camo. I suppose a bit more would be nice too.

Unfortunately, I've used good skills and modules to get a faster torp and gun reload. I really don't think the payoff is worth it here , at least for a gunboat or general purpose Gearing. Perhaps for a torpedo build.

What do you think?  

Gearing Modified Hull slot 5

It gives -15% detectability, +5% max dispersion of shells fired at you, +15% main gun load time, +5% torpedo reload time.

The Slot 5 Concealment Systems mod 1 gives you -10% detectability and +5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3 second main gun reload
7.2 second main gun 180 degree turn
106 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 90.1 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 81.1 seconds reload)
136 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 115.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 104 seconds reload)
5.94km with camo, CE skill, & CSM1 upgrade in slot 5.
+5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3.3 second rudder shift
2km assured acquisition of enemy ships

The Slot 5 Unique Upgrade 
3.45 second main gun reload (slot 6 MBM3 gives 3.036s reload, 8.3 second main gun 180 degree turn) 
111.3 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 94.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 85.1 seconds reload) 
142.8 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 121.4 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 109.2 seconds reload)
5.61km with camo, CE skill, & Unique Upgrade.
+5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3.3 second rudder shift

Check out the comparison below to see what you gain in spotting range vs T10s. Looking at just the T10s, it doesn't seem to do much, but when you look at the MM spread, the upgrade jumps the Gearing over a bunch of DDs in spotting range.

T-10 Spotting ranges (with CE module, CE skill & camo) Gearing+ is the one with the Unique Upgrade

Daring WIP  5.5km

Shimakaze   5.59km

Gearing+  5.61km

Yueyang  5.83km

Gearing  5.94km

Grozovoi  5.98km

Z-52  6.08km

Harugumo  6.23km

Khabarovsk  7.86km

Spotting ranges across the MM T8-T10 (with CE module, CE skill & camo) Gearing+ is the one with the Unique Upgrade

Asashio 5.37km

Kagero  5.37km

HSF Harekaze  5.37km

Daring WIP  5.5km

Jutland WIP  5.5km

Lightning WIP  5.5km

Yugumo   5.52km

Shimakaze   5.59km

Gearing+  5.61km

Chung Mu  5.66km

Loyang  5.8km

Hsienyang  5.8km

Black  5.8km

Fletcher  5.8km

Kidd  5.8km

Benson  5.8km

Yueyang  5.83km

Akizuki 5.94km

Kitakaze  5.94km

Z-46   5.94km

Gearing  5.94km

Grozovoi  5.98km

Z-52   6.08km

Ognevoi  6.08km

Harugumo   6.23km

Z-23   6.23km

Udaloi A  6.76km

Kiev 7.07km

Udaloi B  7.23km

Tashkent  7.38km

Khabarovsk  7.86km

Other slot 5 modules

Gearing with Target Acquisition System mod 1 in slot 5
3 second main gun reload
106 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 90.1 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 81.1 seconds reload)
136 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 115.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 104 seconds reload)
6.6km with camo & CE skill.
3.3 second rudder shift
3km assured acquisition of enemy ships
+20% to range that you spot ships
+20% acquistions range of torpedoes, stacks with vigilance

Gearing with Steering Gears mod 3 in slot 5
3 second main gun reload
6.6km with camo & CE skill.
2 second rudder shift and with SGM1 you have a 1.6 second rudder shift
-80% steering gears repair time (I could not find the repair time in the Wiki) 

So you give up at roughly 0.45s reload, roughly 5 seconds 10.5km torp reload, roughly 7 second 16.5km torp reload, but get 0.33km better concealment. Depending on what slot 6 module you use, you can get back close to the gun or torp reloads.

Edit, I redid the numbers in what I think is a better format, so I wanted to update this thread.

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Cool 2

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,221 battles

It seems like those which further the primary play style of the ship are at least getting people interested while those that actually meet the stated goal of these modules (alternative play style) are seen as worthless.

The weird thing is the way in which some are balanced.  Some are just opportunity cost, others are opportunity cost plus a pile of negative penalties.  I personally think they should have all been a new slot and all just had pros and cons, e.g. equip to get -50% torpedo stuff and +20% gun stuff or whatever.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,548 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Some of the upgrades are worth checking out.  Some are insulting the way they're implemented.

Some of them it is clear the devs don't play the game and don't know how the ships are used. 

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[NGAGE]
Members
4,365 posts
6,406 battles

Given how many Tier 10s I have....I do think the grind is a little excessive for something that's supposed to be a "side grade" and which in many cases arguably doesn't even live up to that.  But it is what it is....

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

It pretty much depends on whether you plan to play Random/Clan Wars/Ranked.

The Gearing mod would useful in clan wars/ranked, if only to get the drop on a shima and scouting.  But, as Flamu said, any gains once below 6km is not balanced out for any loses.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It pretty much depends on whether you plan to play Random/Clan Wars/Ranked.

The Gearing mod would useful in clan wars/ranked, if only to get the drop on a shima and scouting.  But, as Flamu said, any gains once below 6km is not balanced out for any loses.

The Gearing and the Shimakaze have effectively the same concealment range with the Unique Upgrade. The Shimakaze gets a 20m advantage, but I don't see very many players being able to take advantage of that. :Smile_teethhappy:

[NGAGE]
Members
3,083 posts
8,090 battles
8 minutes ago, yashma said:

Given how many Tier 10s I have....I do think the grind is a little excessive for something that's supposed to be a "side grade" and which in many cases arguably doesn't even live up to that.  But it is what it is....

Honestly I think this is the point and a good point.

Most of us have nearly all the TXs at this point and "nothing to play for." WG has to make something grindy to add some reason to play other than giving away massive rewards. These modules are good and most of us will want to try many of them.

It's annoying since some of them are "grind to win" but eh. I guess whatever.

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The Gearing and the Shimakaze have effectively the same concealment range with the Unique Upgrade. The Shimakaze gets a 20m advantage, but I don't see very many players being able to take advantage of that. :Smile_teethhappy:

By itself no. But if you pair it with RDF captain skill? Now you can go DD hunting w/o being worried about being spotted first. Which makes it useful in ln Wars/ Ranked. 

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

By itself no. But if you pair it with RDF captain skill? Now you can go DD hunting w/o being worried about being spotted first. Which makes it useful in ln Wars/ Ranked. 

True. The Gearing mod does jump you in spotting range over a lot of T8 & T9 boats as well as seen in my post above.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Honestly I think this is the point and a good point.

Most of us have nearly all the TXs at this point and "nothing to play for." WG has to make something grindy to add some reason to play other than giving away massive rewards. These modules are good and most of us will want to try many of them.

It's annoying since some of them are "grind to win" but eh. I guess whatever.

Except if you look at the quest chains to get them they're marked as expiring 12/31. That's not going to be enough time if you have a lot of T10s. I'm even avoiding playing some of mine to not unlock more yet.

EDIT: Also most of them are total crap.

Edited by w4spl3g

[NGAGE]
Members
3,083 posts
8,090 battles
Just now, w4spl3g said:

Except if you look at the quest chains to get them they're marked as expiring 12/31. That's not going to be enough time if you have a lot of T10s. I'm even avoiding playing some of mine to not unlock more yet.

EDIT: Also most of them are total crap.

I read somewhere they will go forever but WG has technical limitations on extending the date.

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Well, this replaces the Slot 5 Concealment module. That give you -10% to the detectability and +5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.

So in effect, you are getting -5% more detectablilty for giving up +15% main batter loading time and +5% torpedo loading time.

I thought that they might stack. If this is the case then the "upgrade" is hardly worth it -- it's more of a detriment than a benefit overall for most players. I think Famu had a point. If you play with known people in divisions where you can rely on your team to focus fire on the ships you spot then it might be good. However, if you play with random players, half of whom might be firing at an island or at each other when you light up that nearby DD, then its probably not worth it.

Edited by Snargfargle

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

The current dev notes on the Yamato. They boosted the stock turret traverse. With the legendary module, it comes down to 6 % buff in loading time, 2% buff in dispersion and a 0.08 degree/sec loss in turret traverse before EM CO skill.

I'm trying to determine the dev who developed the legendary mod for the DM was thinking?

–50% to time taken to reach full power when accelerating (improved acceleration)

–20% to rudder shift time

–10% to duration of the Surveillance Radar

Pros: Equipped with Surveillance Radar and shooting over islands, Des Moines has always been quite good at controlling key areas. However, the cruiser lacked agility, which hindered her in some situations. The legendary upgrade helps the cruiser conduct battle in open water more effectively by improving her maneuverability and acceleration.

Cons: In addition to a minor drop in Surveillance Radar duration, keep in mind that the new upgrade takes up the sixth slot, which also contains improvements to fire rate, firing range, and AA guns.

Bring the gun range back to 15.3 km and pair it with RDF captain skill and you have a dd hunter. Also a ship that can shoot and scoot out and in cover. It's situationally useful in random, but it will crippling in Ranked and Clan Battles once the other side figures out they can stay out of 15 km and pound you with impunity. If they had slotted it anywhere but lot 6, it would be an improvement.