You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thepingman

Daily Loot box dumped 50k free exp on me, what to do with it?

13 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
1,798 battles

This's the first time I posted on this forum, not surprising consider I just started playing this game a week ago.

Anyway, back to the crux of my dilemma; I got 50k free exp from loot boxes and have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestion? Or should I horde it and never spend it like in World of Tanks?

Right now my ships are Myogi, Hosho, Nicholas, St. Lois, Kolberg (not Konigsberg), Danae, that tier 2 Russian DD, the rest Tier 1, and that's it, I'm just starting out after all. I have no alt. account, so you can just look up this one for statistic, but I doubt it'll matter since, well, just starting out.

Also, I heard people saying that you need 10+ points captain before hitting Tier 5, or you'll just an exp pinata, and it seem true with my first game in Nicholas, die first, dragging one enemy dd down with me and that's it, I guess it's just my luck that I can managed that at all. So, should I stay at Tier 4 until I get 10+ points captain too?

Answer is appreciated, even if it'll take long for me to reply. Thank you

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,200 battles

Personally I would hang on to it for a while until you advance further into the game. You are at tiers where it is just starting to be grindy but it does not take much effort to advance the ship lines. From around tier 7 up, things just seem to stop and it feels like it takes forever to get up the ladder. Just consider that free xp a nest egg for later on. You may decide you want to buy one of the Free XP ships that are offered and as you grind your ships up, you are also earning xp for your captains. Staying at tier 4 is a good idea until you get a 10 point captain. You are in protected matchmaking and once you hit tier 5 you are liable to see lots of tier 7 matches. Having a 10 point captain will ease the pain of that, it can be brutal. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles

Personally, I never freeXP past (or through) a ship. Some are really painful to grind through, but they still should teach you things. 

Save it up. I think the Nelson is only 250,000 free XP. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,112 posts
19,510 battles

Agree with everyone above.

Don’t rush through lines, and save the fxp. It will accumulate faster than you think, and will be available for an fxp ship, on any of several other item that may need that,

• Cool 1

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles

....totally irrelevant comment: I'm just gland I've got like 195k saved up....that Gearing's right round the corner

Members
29 posts
1,798 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Personally I would hang on to it for a while until you advance further into the game. You are at tiers where it is just starting to be grindy but it does not take much effort to advance the ship lines. From around tier 7 up, things just seem to stop and it feels like it takes forever to get up the ladder. Just consider that free xp a nest egg for later on. You may decide you want to buy one of the Free XP ships that are offered and as you grind your ships up, you are also earning xp for your captains. Staying at tier 4 is a good idea until you get a 10 point captain. You are in protected matchmaking and once you hit tier 5 you are liable to see lots of tier 7 matches. Having a 10 point captain will ease the pain of that, it can be brutal. 

So 10 points captain is a must before hitting Tier 5 in this game huh? That's harsh compare to World of Tanks where 75%, 0 skill potato crews is good enough for Tier 5 matches. Oh, well... who am I to argue... Thanks for the info.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,200 battles
1 hour ago, thepingman said:

So 10 points captain is a must before hitting Tier 5 in this game huh? That's harsh compare to World of Tanks where 75%, 0 skill potato crews is good enough for Tier 5 matches. Oh, well... who am I to argue... Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say a "must" but it really helps. You will really, really want concealment bonus before fighting ships that are going to outrange you by a large margin. It can be very frustrating to play a lower tier ship fighting one two tiers higher. The upside to WoWS vs WoT is at least you can damage the high tier stuff without premium ammo. Well you can if you survive long enough to shoot. 

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
1,798 battles
56 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I wouldn't say a "must" but it really helps. You will really, really want concealment bonus before fighting ships that are going to outrange you by a large margin. It can be very frustrating to play a lower tier ship fighting one two tiers higher. The upside to WoWS vs WoT is at least you can damage the high tier stuff without premium ammo. Well you can if you survive long enough to shoot. 

I see, but I couldn't help but feels Myogi's guns were crewed by Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers. Shells keep landing around / bracket anyone I wanted to hit even when they're sailing in straight line. I have 30% average accuracy in this game while I got almost 60% accuracy in a Hummel (artillery) in WoT!

That make me feels like Kongo could alleviated that problem with aiming mod 1, but now after you guys' suggestions, I'm not sure anymore or should I swap out for Kuma instead.

[RLGN]
Members
10,112 posts
19,510 battles
37 minutes ago, thepingman said:

I see, but I couldn't help but feels Myogi's guns were crewed by Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers. Shells keep landing around / bracket anyone I wanted to hit even when they're sailing in straight line. I have 30% average accuracy in this game while I got almost 60% accuracy in a Hummel (artillery) in WoT!

That make me feels like Kongo could alleviated that problem with aiming mod 1, but now after you guys' suggestions, I'm not sure anymore or should I swap out for Kuma instead.

Bizarre as it is to say so, Myogi does better 'running away' like Konigsburg, Nurnburg, and Roon than it does trying to fight like a traditional battleship.

Easier to keep the back turrets firing, and occasionally expose the single front turret, than trying to fight by exposing your sides to get the back turrets firing.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,200 battles
42 minutes ago, thepingman said:

I don't remember much about the Myogi honestly, was a long time ago. I did grind her out though. The way I did it is if I didn't care for the ship, would just play it in co-op until the next ship was unlocked. Now the Kuma is a fantastic ship at its tier. I love cruisers and cruiser play and Kuma is probably one of the best. I have kept it, such a great ship for PvE and PvP play. The Furataka at tier 5 and the Tenyru are good ships for their tiers as well. IMHO all three are keepers, they are a joy to play. It was those three ships that got me into just pretty much playing cruisers.

BTW if you really want a battleship that has Stormtroopers as guns crews, get the Mikasa, she is unbelievably bad. Not only are they poor shots, I think they are blind as well. It is ridiculous where her shells land sometimes. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,546 posts
On 7/6/2018 at 11:23 PM, thepingman said:

This's the first time I posted on this forum, not surprising consider I just started playing this game a week ago.

Anyway, back to the crux of my dilemma; I got 50k free exp from loot boxes and have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestion? Or should I horde it and never spend it like in World of Tanks?

Right now my ships are Myogi, Hosho, Nicholas, St. Lois, Kolberg (not Konigsberg), Danae, that tier 2 Russian DD, the rest Tier 1, and that's it, I'm just starting out after all. I have no alt. account, so you can just look up this one for statistic, but I doubt it'll matter since, well, just starting out.

Also, I heard people saying that you need 10+ points captain before hitting Tier 5, or you'll just an exp pinata, and it seem true with my first game in Nicholas, die first, dragging one enemy dd down with me and that's it, I guess it's just my luck that I can managed that at all. So, should I stay at Tier 4 until I get 10+ points captain too?

Answer is appreciated, even if it'll take long for me to reply. Thank you

First thing to do is post in the correct thread? 

[5IN]
Supertester
1,983 posts
9,198 battles

Welcome to the forums!  I would save your FXP and use it to upgrade ships from stock once you have them unlocked.  Some ships are ok stock and only get better when upgraded, and some are just painful until you get those upgrades.

Gl;hf :Smile_honoring:

B