You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeltaHavoc

USS Texas Captain Skills

9 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
233 battles

Any recommendations for Texas captain skills?

I currently have

t1: PT

t2: EM

t3: 

t4: 

Should I get BFT our Superintendent?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,416 posts
10,935 battles

With the scarcity of CV's even in tier 4 & 5 I would suggest going for skills that help the main guns. Even then a tier 7 CV has to be very careful about getting near to you

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

With the scarcity of CV's even in tier 4 & 5 I would suggest going for skills that help the main guns. Even then a tier 7 CV has to be very careful about getting near to you

Umm wut!? I've been monitoring my matches and at T5 I see CVs around 60% of the time. Any decent CV captain will hurt a Texas with no investment in AA since it's stock AA range is so short

@DeltaHavoc is this going to be a permanent Texas captain or will it be used for other ships?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,416 posts
10,935 battles
8 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Umm wut!? I've been monitoring my matches and at T5 I see CVs around 60% of the time. Any decent CV captain will hurt a Texas with no investment in AA since it's stock AA range is so short

@DeltaHavoc is this going to be a permanent Texas captain or will it be used for other ships?

YMMV

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles
8 minutes ago, DeltaHavoc said:

@Psycodiver Prolly a permanent captain for now. AA seems to be useful but I’m not sure about superintendent. An extra heal doesn’t seem to be worth it.

It's a handy skill when you need it, but how often do you need it though. I use it on my German BBs because all the brawling that I do makes that extra heal important. Advanced firing training is a pretty universal skill since it helps 2 areas, secondaries and AA, the latter is very important to the Texas

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

The Texas' AA are mostly about deterrence against CV's though. Having the extra Repair Party and the extra from the Repair Party II gives you a potential 13,700 hitpoints, or basically another cruiser's worth, so long as you are managing your damage.

While the Texas is not invulnerable by any means, it can take a hit, and often needs to to be in a position to get its guns in play. It is also able to angle better than the New York can do it is more resilient than one would expect. 

What I've ended up running is, in order

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Superintendent 

Concealment Expert

Vigilance*

Adrenaline Rush

Advanced Fire Training (though may go for Fire Prevention instead, depending on fire when I get there)

*Note: Vigilance is not immunity to torpedoes, it's buffer space against torpedoes that I already suspect have been launched, but do not yet have confirmation on. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,369 posts
17,682 battles

I dunno man.

Yesterday I was playing Scharnhorst, the first time I've played a Tier VII ship in ages.  Very first match was a Double-CV match, Tier VII-VI CVs in a Tier V-VII match.  Our Tier VI Ryujo killed 4 ships and was a major reason why we won.

The Tier IV-V ones are more widely played.

As for Texas, OP how many points are we talking about?  10pts?

PT or PM

AR, though EM would be decent choice here.

BFT

AFT

At 14, I'd get either CE or FP.  As a Tier V you will be seeing A LOT of spammy CL guns, as well as Iron Duke.  SI is also a good choice for the extra consumable, and you'd have 1 pt left over.

FYI, Texas' AA isn't merely a "deterrent."  A basic AA build with BFT, AFT, AAGM2 upgrade shreds aircraft she encounters from Tier V-VI.  Tier VII CVs may power through but they'll eat losses so that you have less ordnance to deal with.  Texas' AA is very strong for her tier.  One ill-advised bombing run by a Tier V-VI CV against her means horrific aircraft losses to the point that the CV is crippled in aircraft for the rest of the match.  CVs below Tier VII have very small hangar capacity and that means very low replacement numbers.  The CV may initiate the attack with full bomber numbers, but after 1 attempt at an AA Texas, they'll be sending very depleted bomber units for the rest of the match.

If you want a Main Battery oriented Tier V US BB, you may as well have gotten New York for free and build it accordingly.  The special feature of Texas is AA.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles

Heres how I set up mine with my future Iowa captain, in order:

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

BFT

AFT

Adrenaline Rush

Concealment Expert

I also run Plotting Room because the range is sooooo important for those T7 matches. I've found that this is enough to shoot down 23 planes from a Kaga with only 1 torpedo hit on me (lots of WASD hacks were involved). That said this works for me, I'm very careful how I use my Repair and DCS (always run premium with flags also) and I can't remember the last times I've burned to the ground or sunk due to flooding because of how I position, which ships I target and how I respond with how my allies and enemies are moving.

This set up may not work since your new to the game, then again allot of set ups might now work for you because like the rest of us your going to have to fail allot and learn from those failure to be a better player