You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I really don’t get why team damage can’t just be turned off altogether

214 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles

I really don’t see any logical reason to not get rid of team damage. It’s off in scenarios and the game still works fine, what’s wrong with just getting rid of it in randoms too. It gets rid of a major headache and streamlines gameplay. Yes it might dumb down torp spreads and lowers the skill threshold slightly but the benefits outweigh any negative effects in my mind. I don’t see any reason to keeping team damage besides nostalgia. This is an easy solution to an annoying problem that just adds unnecessary complications. I don’t see the harm in scrapping team damage. 

Edited by bubbleboy264
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,460 posts
12,810 battles

because people should not be able to blind-spam torps.

• Cool 12

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

I prefer team damage turned on.

But why? Seriously, why do you prefer it? 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

But why? Seriously, why do you prefer it? 

It's another tactical decision. Do I hold fire, or don't I. Do I get between two ships in a fight, or not? The more things you can do right or wrong, the more players abilities stand out.

• Cool 8

Members
687 posts
12,846 battles

You will find this argument similar to the detonation argument.

You can't win it so don't try.

Some people like detonations and active team damage, some don't.

If you are on team "Don't" at least be glad that they greatly reduced team damage some time ago.

You used to take 100%.

[NWNG]
Members
2,787 posts
4,654 battles

Having to watch not only where enemy ships are, but also friendly ships, adds another level required for strategic play. Friendly fire isn't for everyone, but it does add depth to a game. I personally am not a fan of friendly fire being turned off.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,572 posts
10,459 battles

Team damage only becomes an issue for people with 0 map / surrounding awareness.

If people would check the minimap and their surrounding before torping or shooting, we wouldn't have so many complains. 

The only drawback about team damage is people on TK on purpose. 

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,460 posts
12,810 battles
4 minutes ago, cometguy said:

It's another tactical decision. Do I hold fire, or don't I. Do I get between two ships in a fight, or not? The more things you can do right or wrong, the more players abilities stand out.

This.  Sometimes you just have to know when to not shoot.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I really don’t see any logical reason to not get rid of team damage. It’s off in scenarios and the game still works fine, what’s wrong with just getting rid of it in randoms too. It gets rid of a major headache and streamlines gameplay. Yes it might dumb down torp spreads and lowers the skill threshold slightly but the benefits outweigh any negative effects in my mind. I don’t see any reason to keeping team damage besides nostalgia. This is an easy solution to an annoying problem that just adds unnecessary complications. I don’t see the harm in scrapping team damage. 

WG's business model requires X amount of damage to be done to each team. That is why it has implemented detonations and CVs. That keeps arbitrary damage and kills up. TK damage also does that. 

Arbitrary damage unrelated to game effort and gameplay, returns ships to the queue faster. WG believes getting players back to the queue is more important than providing an immersive, interesting, equitable gaming experience.

And dets and CVs are totally unethical.  

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
19 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Team damage only becomes an issue for people with 0 map / surrounding awareness.

If people would check the minimap and their surrounding before torping or shooting, we wouldn't have so many complains. 

The only drawback about team damage is people on TK on purpose. 

I'm sorry, but this really isn't reasonable to me.  I do a certain about of sit awareness checking before I  fire torps, but even so, I will occasionally make a misjudgment and launch torps when I shouldn't have by accident.

I cannot and will not do the level of zoom-in/zoom-out ping-ponging that I see some players do (in youtube videos).  It makes me physically sic to my stomach when I see that or try to do it.

34 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I wouldn't mind if they made a change that prevented guns from firing if there was a friendly in your line of fire and within about 2 km or less.  Basically close enough that you can't see the friendly's ship when you're in bino mode.

However, I would not like them to remove friendly damage in general.  As crzyhawk pointed out, people shouldn't be free to blind torp through friendlies at will.  Right now, the closest you can come to this is using deep water torps.  And even then, when I'm in clan battles and I'm going to send PA DDs in a friendly DDs direction, I warn him that I'm about to do it so that the friendly player is aware of it and doesn't need to make a wild maneuver to avoid torps, forgetting that they're DWTs.  

Another reason I don't want friendly damage removed is that one thing I hate in operations is the rare occasion when you get some dopey team mates decide to start shooting each other because they know they can't hurt each other.  It's annoying as all hell.  I'd rather that friendly fire remained so that they are punished for such idiotic nonsense.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
31 minutes ago, Prothall said:

You will find this argument similar to the detonation argument.

You can't win it so don't try.

Some people like detonations and active team damage, some don't.

If you are on team "Don't" at least be glad that they greatly reduced team damage some time ago.

You used to take 100%.

Meh.

I think that there are certain aspects of friendly fire that could be tweaked.  My bug-a-boo is not seeing a friendly that's physically blocking my line of fire because he's so close that he doesn't show up in bino mode.  But rather than simply not having my shells on him do no damage, I'd rather that my "gunnery officer" order all guns to cease fire while the friendly remains in the line of fire, and have a nice big text message to that effect placed on the screen while the line of fire is blocked by a friendly.  This would be a solution that had a pleasant feel of realism (i.e. a gunnery officer telling the guns to hold fire) as well as being a very simple solution, rather than a solution that was grossly unrealistic (i.e. friendly fire doing no damage).

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,779 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

but even so, I will occasionally make a misjudgment and launch torps when I shouldn't have by accident.

and when that happens, there should be consequences for it

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,640 posts
15,896 battles
47 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

because people should not be able to blind-spam torps.

This has nothing to do with team damage and much more to do with ship capabilities and balance. 

46 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I prefer team damage turned on.

What on Earth for? Why would you want the ability to damage your team mates?

40 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Do I hold fire, or don't I. Do I get between two ships in a fight, or not?

And if you can't damage your team, doesn't that decision become easier? IMHO the only reason for wanting team damage in the game is you want to be able to damage the team you're on, which is exactly what your arguing for.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
4 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

And I'm not complaining, Ju87s.  Crap happens.  Sometimes I'm in a hurry to get the torps off.  And once in a while some dope pulls an unexpected U-turn and drives into your torps. 

Arguably, an interesting feature might be to self destruct your torps before they hit.  Very unrealistic, of course, since these aren't wire guided torps, but it would give you a way to fix an oopsie before a team mate has to pay for it.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,572 posts
10,459 battles
24 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm sorry, but this really isn't reasonable to me.  I do a certain about of sit awareness checking before I  fire torps, but even so, I will occasionally make a misjudgment and launch torps when I shouldn't have by accident.

I cannot and will not do the level of zoom-in/zoom-out ping-ponging that I see some players do (in youtube videos).  It makes me physically sic to my stomach when I see that or try to do it.

Accident can happens, but if you're always doing the same accidents then it's no longer an accident. Just pressing RMB to quickly look around is priceless. In games where team damage is toggled on, we will always have accidents, what really matter is the frequency of these accidents and why it happened (Tier also plays an important role,, I can't blame a T3 player for torping a friendly).

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,779 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And once in a while some dope pulls an unexpected U-turn and drives into your torps.

Yeah, I'm in the minority opinion on these forums where I say that person is at fault for U-turning into them.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
43 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This has nothing to do with team damage and much more to do with ship capabilities and balance. 

What on Earth for? Why would you want the ability to damage your team mates?

And if you can't damage your team, doesn't that decision become easier? IMHO the only reason for wanting team damage in the game is you want to be able to damage the team you're on, which is exactly what your arguing for.

I like playing games where it is possible to make a mistake.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,640 posts
15,896 battles
7 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I like playing games where it is possible to make a mistake.

Why should your mistakes hurt an innocent player?

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Why? There is no team damage in operations. And there is not a single forum post demanding that there be consequences for it in ops or that it be added.  I have played 00s of operations, nobody has ever complained about the lack of team damage. Indeed, people enjoy shooting harmlessly at each other at the end of the match.

Team damage is necessary to get players back in queue. That is why WG wants it in the game. It has nothing to do with "consequences" or "teaching" etc. It's just another  garbage mechanic that hurts equity and immersiveness while doing nothing for the players themselves. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles

It would change the balance in favor of the shooter.  For example, no longer could you use the enemy's formation errors to block them from risking firing torpedoes at you.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Why should your mistakes hurt an innocent player?

Because it's a team game. Whether your mistake is hitting a friendly, never hitting the enemy, or dying early, it's all the same to me. Negatively impact the odds of victory.

• Cool 1

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers, Modder
5,783 posts
7,156 battles

Removing team damage from torpedoes was discussed in closed beta and it would be possible to reverse grief more so than now. You could just catch all torpedoes prevent them from hurting anyone.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
2 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Because it provides a small sense of realism in what is basically an arcade game and …

in those rare instances when you actually want to frag someone,  you know that you can :)

Also, bad driving needs to be punished.

Edited by Commander_367

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,779 battles
42 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

That is why WG wants it in the game. It has nothing to do with "consequences" or "teaching" etc. It's just another  garbage mechanic that hurts equity and immersiveness while doing nothing for the players themselves. 

Removing team damage dumbs down the game even more than it is. PVE is easy mode for potatoes, that's why OPs don't have team damage. But team damage hurts immersiveness? Is that a joke? Do you even know what that word means?