You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thebigblue

Data use when running wows

16 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
2,089 posts

Road warriors and cord cutters, specifically those who use a mobile hot spot...

how much data does wows use? More specifically  I’d like to know how many gigs are consumed on a windows platform after running 10 random games.

Rhinking about setting up a mobile hotspot at a fairly remote spot for infrequent and temporary use and am not sure if I need 10g/month or 100. 

I would not be running updates on mobile data. That would wait until I had WiFi connection or back home. I would only log in and run a couple, 2, 3, 10 matches and log out

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

My wife and i use mobile hotspot only as it is all that is available here. Even with updates to the game and constant surfing we stay below 50 gigs per month combined.

Members
3,783 posts

You actually dont use much data playing games.  How ever where it hurts you is when you have to download an update.  But I don't think it would run that much.  When I play my other game with zombies I only use about 1 gig even less than that just on the game.  So I would assume World Of Warships would be about the same.  Until the updates come.  Then that will hurt you.

Edited by torpsRus

[RKLES]
Members
8,925 posts
10,828 battles

Would be curious if the data usage depended on the ships you use, graphics setting, and what ships enemy team is using and the battle mode.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Would be curious if the data usage depended on the ships you use, graphics setting, and what ships enemy team is using and the battle mode.

No, no and no.

If you're using a lot of data, make sure your launcher isn't torrenting your patch folder. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,230 posts
10,871 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

Road warriors and cord cutters, specifically those who use a mobile hot spot...

how much data does wows use? More specifically  I’d like to know how many gigs are consumed on a windows platform after running 10 random games.

Rhinking about setting up a mobile hotspot at a fairly remote spot for infrequent and temporary use and am not sure if I need 10g/month or 100. 

I would not be running updates on mobile data. That would wait until I had WiFi connection or back home. I would only log in and run a couple, 2, 3, 10 matches and log out

I'm on mobile for about 50% of my total useage. The data used during a match is next to nothing. During ranked i used around 1.5 gig in a hardcore grinding weekend of around 50 matches. That useage includes usually having the forum page open in the background and some other browsing. For 10 matches I'd be seriously surprised if you used .2 gig.

Game data requirements are so low my 5 year old Samsung S4 Mini easily handles hotspot duties. (well it did, but was retired as of noon today. I'm gonna miss that little friend.)

[WOLF6]
[WOLF6]
Members
83 posts
2,732 battles

If I recall correctly, most of the data that is passed from client-to-server-to-client in games like this is text based(ship coordinates, shell trajectory/impact point coordinates, etc) and that takes up a lot less data than images. That's the main reason for lag spikes on some wifi and hotspot clients, like myself.  Half-Life, for example (the old before steam Half-Life) was text data transfer. The large data usage was when updates or various game mods were downloaded and set up on both the client and the server. 

[WOLF2]
Members
3,065 posts
14,805 battles

Data isn't an issue, it's the response and latency on server and ISP hops I believe.

It's not even the connection, it's the hi ping limits imposed by the ISP and getting bumped by wg servers that will either make the game playable or unplayable.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

I usually have less than a 70 ping. It is a great way to game when you want no matter where you are just make sure you get enough data to cover you as overage prices are crap!

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles

.....I have a related question since you people seem to the IT wonks....I swear my laptop loads slower at tier 8 and above....am I imagining things?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,312 posts
20,171 battles
1 minute ago, commodore_torakula said:

.....I have a related question since you people seem to the IT wonks....I swear my laptop loads slower at tier 8 and above....am I imagining things?

I have noticed something similar and I THINK it has something to do with ship rendering. When playing a tier 8+ match, the ships "blink" in and out of detection and I notice that things slow when ships are being rendered. Also in OPs when the red bots spawn, I get lags and frequently the program crashes, again I think it is due to ship rendering as the computer gets overloaded with information to display. I never notice any problems playing co-op no matter what the tier and I think this is due to the few ships that the computer is dealing with (7 vs 7). PvP matches are typically 12 vs 12 and OPs are all over the place on how many bot ships are being added to the match as it progresses. 

Because the detection range on high tier ships can be really low and people have a tendency to fire, then try and scoot out of detection range, the computer has to use lots of resources to make all this happen. You don't see it at low tiers because ships are slower and the detection range is usually kind of crappy (i.e. once spotted you tend to stay spotted for a bit depending on circumstances). WoWS is a bloated program and a memory hog like I have never seen. They really need to optimize the game, it is just becoming a blob. 

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles
33 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have noticed something similar and I THINK it has something to do with ship rendering. When playing a tier 8+ match, the ships "blink" in and out of detection and I notice that things slow when ships are being rendered. Also in OPs when the red bots spawn, I get lags and frequently the program crashes, again I think it is due to ship rendering as the computer gets overloaded with information to display. I never notice any problems playing co-op no matter what the tier and I think this is due to the few ships that the computer is dealing with (7 vs 7). PvP matches are typically 12 vs 12 and OPs are all over the place on how many bot ships are being added to the match as it progresses. 

Because the detection range on high tier ships can be really low and people have a tendency to fire, then try and scoot out of detection range, the computer has to use lots of resources to make all this happen. You don't see it at low tiers because ships are slower and the detection range is usually kind of crappy (i.e. once spotted you tend to stay spotted for a bit depending on circumstances). WoWS is a bloated program and a memory hog like I have never seen. They really need to optimize the game, it is just becoming a blob. 

.....thx for your input....but hell, I can remember PONG....I don't miss that.

[SIDE]
Members
2,089 posts
14 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

.....thx for your input....but hell, I can remember PONG....I don't miss that.

Edited by thebigblue

[FGNE]
Members
591 posts
3,079 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think you might be on the right track, ship rendering might be the issue, but I would bet on the actual ship models being more complex with more stuff to be rendered and animated than lower tier ships.

and possibly also larger maps with more artifacts in them.

Edited by CO_Valle

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,674 battles

I know from experience that I can play the game in Tim Horton's on their wifi and have no issues with gameplay. A&W is sketchier, but the only time I tried there was when the server was being screwy last weekend so I can't make a reliable judgement on that.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Bandwidth is not an issue if you are using a 4G LTE connection. I can run a speed test at any time and get 15 megs down and 5  megs up. Ships render just fine and I play this game at 4k resoulution on a 55in TV. There is no problem using a mobile hot spot for gaming. :Smile_izmena: