You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Yes, something is wrong with Unsporting system

20 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
2,534 posts
7,316 battles

I write this because we continually see people complaining. NO! I am not under any foolhardy illusion my opinion will stop those complaints.

Yes, those are your shells & torpedoes and you are responsible for hitting teammates PERIOD! If you are sunk, wait until you shells have landed & your torpedoes have stopped before leaving the battle.

I agree, it isn't just to penalize a person because a ship with nearly zero hit points rams you. But WG does not have nor will they create a traffic court to decide who was at fault so we must live with the small penalty.

No person should be penalized for lost connection or an RL emergency. But we have that to blame on those who see AFK as the ultimate crime and whine as if everyone who goes AFK is doing so purposely harm teammates. I've seen players brag about reporting people for being AFK as if it was their duty to mankind. In their very narrow mind there is no justification for going AFK.  These types of players is what is wrong with the system. The fix is easy,  end the AFK penalty.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

I'd like to see any afk ship after say, a minute, be taken over by a bot and leave the player out of it completely.  He goes back to port with the same ship available as though he did not enter battle at all.  Then you can build a penalty system around that if there are repeated abuses, such as players scamming the system solely to screw with the game.  But the ship is still always played in battle, and bots are better than a great number of players anyhow.  That eliminates the issue pretty thoroughly IMO.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[TBW]
Members
7,436 posts
13,600 battles

So this is your post for the future? because we really need more of these posts.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,065 posts
6,263 battles
7 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

I'd like to see any afk ship after say, a minute, be taken over by a bot and leave the player out of it completely.  He goes back to port with the same ship available as though he did not enter battle at all.  Then you can build a penalty system around that if there are repeated abuses, such as players scamming the system solely to screw with the game.  But the ship is still always played in battle, and bots are better than a great number of players anyhow.  That eliminates the issue pretty thoroughly IMO.

Eliminates one issue but causes more issues.

Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,410 posts
13 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Lets see, how do we game the system.....

Division with alts, drop them, replace with bots......:cap_hmm:

No matter what you come up with, someone will figure out how to game it...

[LHG]
Members
2,095 posts
5,761 battles
1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

AFK is a non Issue..

Except that it is.  

Non issues don't generate so many threads. 

I'm all for imposing penalties on AFK players.  Sure some will get hit by bad connections and RL issues but those are not the players the rules are focused on and these issues shouldn't be a consistent pattern which is what the rules are intended to deal with. 

I'm sure there are some people out there who are not fans of driving pink ships but the only people actually being punished in all of this are those who are AFK and are AFK on a consistent basis.  

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,146 battles

But it doesn't matter unless you repeatedly do it.  I left a match the other day because of an emergency.  Came back to being pink, sported the new color and 2 games later was no longer pretty.  Didn't affect me one bit.

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

Eliminates one issue but causes more issues.

Concept of course taken but I don't see negative results outweighing the positive there.  You no longer have afks in any match, players benefit in no way, and repeat offenders are specifically addressed.  I'm not seeing any real way for some ahole to game that system.  Most people still want to play and win, we have that at least in our favor.

Only detraction might be WG thinking it would lose players with technical or other issues at their end, but on the other hand that afk ship or two that often enough tips the balance and causes your team to lose is at least out there drawing fire and attempting to win.  This has to improve things over all.  If I'm overlooking a potential consequence or several, what?

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Lets see, how do we game the system.....

Division with alts, drop them, replace with bots......:cap_hmm:

No matter what you come up with, someone will figure out how to game it...

Then why have the game at all?  Just because something may be a challenge doesn't mean give up on it entirely.  If any of your div mates afk, they're out of div = you don't have a div you're simply solo.  Also something that could be addressed outside the match.

[_-_]
Members
1,756 posts

I can see both sides, and if I may, propose a fairly simple solution.

How about something like a cooldown timer that disables all automatic armaments (AA, secondaries) after, say,  two minutes of no user input (keystrokes, camera/gun slew, mouse clicks) and get rid of the auto afk penalty entirely. Any input instantly reactivates armament fully loaded and ready.

This eliminates unfair penalties, and removes the habitual troll AFKer M.O. of hoping AA or secondaries score for a "battle contribution".

It would have no impact on active ships, because even stationary edge-camping BBabies look around once in awhile (at least one would hope).

What say you all?

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,065 posts
6,263 battles
2 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Then why have the game at all?  Just because something may be a challenge doesn't mean give up on it entirely.  If any of your div mates afk, they're out of div = you don't have a div you're simply solo.  Also something that could be addressed outside the match.

Bot OP!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
15 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

AFK is a non Issue..

I have noticed fewer AFK's after being active for awhile since the latest version was put into place so there was a reason for the inactivity punishment.

Members
3,783 posts
40 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I write this because we continually see people complaining. NO! I am not under any foolhardy illusion my opinion will stop those complaints.

Yes, those are your shells & torpedoes and you are responsible for hitting teammates PERIOD! If you are sunk, wait until you shells have landed & your torpedoes have stopped before leaving the battle.

I agree, it isn't just to penalize a person because a ship with nearly zero hit points rams you. But WG does not have nor will they create a traffic court to decide who was at fault so we must live with the small penalty.

No person should be penalized for lost connection or an RL emergency. But we have that to blame on those who see AFK as the ultimate crime and whine as if everyone who goes AFK is doing so purposely harm teammates. I've seen players brag about reporting people for being AFK as if it was their duty to mankind. In their very narrow mind there is no justification for going AFK.  These types of players is what is wrong with the system. The fix is easy,  end the AFK penalty.

It happens its life in the game youll get over it or get really annoyed

Edited by torpsRus

[HINON]
Members
10,703 posts
45 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

But it doesn't matter unless you repeatedly do it.  I left a match the other day because of an emergency.  Came back to being pink, sported the new color and 2 games later was no longer pretty.  Didn't affect me one bit.

This ^

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,605 battles
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have noticed fewer AFK's after being active for awhile since the latest version was put into place so there was a reason for the inactivity punishment.

Same.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I'm sure there are some people out there who are not fans of driving pink ships but the only people actually being punished in all of this are those who are AFK and are AFK on a consistent basis.  

^This^. Only habitual AFKers are affected by the system. Solution; Don't be a habitual AFKer.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,566 posts
10,447 battles

Driving pink ship isn't a problem. You don't have any penalty for being pink anyway 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

^This^. Only habitual AFKers are affected by the system. Solution; Don't be a habitual AFKer.

Even if you have a bad run of DC's/crashes you get 8 matches in co-op and if you don't continue to have those things happen the history will degrade over time.

[TDRB]
Members
2,534 posts
7,316 battles
3 hours ago, torpsRus said:

It happens its life in the game youll get over it or get really annoyed

Yes, complainers for no justifiable reason are part of life. My post was solely to state an opinion.