You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Authenticate: Metal plaque from battleship California

8 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,767 posts
4,420 battles

Hello!  I need a bit of help again with identification.  This is a plaque that is supposedly for the battleship California:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0616/26/uss-california-bb-44-plaque-c1920s_1_3ea89bfb1975cc3f7f6ba1d0462e88b0.jpg

It's a very nice piece, but I am mainly wondering whether this is actually an interwar commemorative piece that was given during the ship launching.  I'm just a bit concerned because the battleship California is somewhat famous for being at Pearl Harbor.

Also, I also see that there was a similar object that was sold for the USS Oklahoma, which makes me question the authenticity of it a bit.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0617/16/s-oklahoma-bb-37-pewter-plaque-ww1_1_cade0375e9322c0f49d0117adac3f202.jpg

I thus ask: Was this a case of the US government being cheap in recycling designs (the two battleships came out at similar times after all) or is this a modern commemorative piece from after the war (despite the design looking interwar).

Thanks!

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles

Is there a certificate of authenticity?

I see you can buy a piece of USS California's deck here which offers the certificate of authenticity.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/475377942/uss-california-teak-deck-challenge-coin

Or this USS California pen made from the same:

s594939745121106723_p84_i2_w1024.jpeg

From a monetary standpoint, the collectors value is minimal without one.

• Cool 1

5,767 posts
4,420 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Is there a certificate of authenticity?

I see you can buy a piece of USS California's deck here which offers the certificate of authenticity.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/475377942/uss-california-teak-deck-challenge-coin

Or this USS California pen made from the same:

s594939745121106723_p84_i2_w1024.jpeg

From a monetary standpoint, the collectors value is minimal without one.

I do have a piece like that at home.

I was more wondering whether anybody can confirm that a plaque like this was given out during launching ceremonies.  For the California, I've only seen souvenir life rings and medals given out for the occasion.

calf1.jpg

post-153853-0-03075800-1419310205.jpg

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
509 battles

Sort of similar to the plaque we had on the USS Newport News (SSN 750).  Ours was off the previous Newport News (CA 148) and was a silver toned (never asked about the actual material) metal piece mounted on wood.  It could well be that the designs were fairly generic to each class of ship with only the text being changed.

• Cool 1

5,767 posts
4,420 battles
8 minutes ago, MM2ss said:

Sort of similar to the plaque we had on the USS Newport News (SSN 750).  Ours was off the previous Newport News (CA 148) and was a silver toned (never asked about the actual material) metal piece mounted on wood.  It could well be that the designs were fairly generic to each class of ship with only the text being changed.

That could make sense.  That being said, I don't know if the USN was that cheap during the inter-war era.  A lot of these standard-type battleships were launched only a few years away from each other.

What makes it a bit difficult is finding any source of authentication to prove whether this object comes from the era or is a modern souvenir, especially since it is a Pearl Harbor battleship.  Granted, the California isn't as famous as the Arizona or the Oklahoma, but its presence in such an iconic part of American history can make it ripe for souvenir makers.

Thanks for the input!  I know that the USN cranked similar-looking items during the war when the Essex-class carriers were coming online.  I'm just not that sure they were that cheap during the inter-war period.

The design at least does look similar to the inter-war USS California (launched in 1919):

59c569d09b27e_usscalifornia.jpg.8cb7cd00

The picture though doesn't look like the USS Oklahoma (launched in 1914):

file.jpg

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
509 battles

I am always strongly in favor of going for a first person source when possible.  I do not know if there is a veterans association for the California.  But you might try checking with the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association (there is an active chapter in San Diego), someone there might be able to say if they recall similar plaques and perhaps tell you if the designs were generic.  You could also try contacting the Naval History and Heritage Command.  I do not know that they would actually authenticate an artifact, but they might be able to give you some information.  The NHHC site has a section devoted to plaques of various sorts (builders, award, commemorative, etc.).  You can find that section here: https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/artifacts/ship-and-shore/plaques.html

My ISP is going dog slow currently so I have not been able to look through them, hopefully it might help you out however.

• Cool 1

5,767 posts
4,420 battles
2 minutes ago, MM2ss said:

I am always strongly in favor of going for a first person source when possible.  I do not know if there is a veterans association for the California.  But you might try checking with the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association (there is an active chapter in San Diego), someone there might be able to say if they recall similar plaques and perhaps tell you if the designs were generic.  You could also try contacting the Naval History and Heritage Command.  I do not know that they would actually authenticate an artifact, but they might be able to give you some information.  The NHHC site has a section devoted to plaques of various sorts (builders, award, commemorative, etc.).  You can find that section here: https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/artifacts/ship-and-shore/plaques.html

My ISP is going dog slow currently so I have not been able to look through them, hopefully it might help you out however.

Wow!  Thank you for the resource and your help!  The seller said that the item was from an estate sale, so that unfortunately doesn't help too much.

Also, thank you for your service to the USN. 

[REVY]
Members
1,214 posts
8,772 battles

Since it hasn't been pointed out, I'm going to do so.

If it was just the USS California, I would lean towards an interwar period.

But that USS Oklahoma throws all kinds of monkey wrenches into it.

The ship represented in the piece could be California, it could also be a Colorado, but it most definitely cannot be Oklahoma. Oklahoma never had a clipper bow and only had one funnel. I wonder if it was some kind of post-war memento pumped out in mass

Edited by Lord_Slayer