You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Potential damage continues to accrue after you're dead

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

So I was dead in both of these - I led a push and got killed at least a minute before the first was taken.  But members of my team continued to sail in the vicinity of my wreck, and as a result the enemy continued to shoot toward my last location.  And as a result, potential damage continued to accrue long after I was gone - compare the time stamps and the two potential damage numbers.shot-18_07_06_12_06.25-0131.thumb.jpg.b846c9828bffff32c2312b0df06e125b.jpgshot-18_07.06_12_09.35-0670.thumb.jpg.26118de2920b01a0909a9bf58c46dd42.jpg

• Cool 1

[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Potential is based around ordnance that lands near you, regardless of whether or not it was actually aimed in your direction—which is a yardstick that makes sense to me, especially given the proclivity of blind firing both with main battery guns and torpedoes.

That said, it could be possible that this was potential damage that was directed to your vicinity prior to your death, and the numbers simply catching up to the display. Either that, or the game hasn't realized you're dead and is still tracking.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,135 posts
6,627 battles
10 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

the game hasn't realized you're dead and is still tracking.

I think this is what the OP is implying. Expect a fix in the near future, as potential damage counts toward XP. Unless of course fixing that loophole also breaks tracking for things like the Flesh Wound award, in which case it's really not worth closing a loophole that will only be used through serendipity.

[VW]
Members
2,420 posts
14,229 battles

Ive noticed it, sometimes its when i launch my escape pod (fighter or spotter) right before dying. It continues to spot enemies and picks up those ribbons sometimes, also adds some damage upon spotting if teammates make the effort to shoot at those ships and hit them. Cant say for sure if it happens all the time or only when the pod is there

2f6c3c50-14fa-4a9a-8051-a950ef9cd6dc_tex

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2f6c3c50-14fa-4a9a-8051-a950ef9cd6dc

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Boring 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
802 posts
4,640 battles
17 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Ive noticed it, sometimes its when i launch my escape pod (fighter or spotter) right before dying. It continues to spot enemies and picks up those ribbons sometimes, also adds some damage upon spotting if teammates make the effort to shoot at those ships and hit them. Cant say for sure if it happens all the time or only when the pod is there

2f6c3c50-14fa-4a9a-8051-a950ef9cd6dc_tex

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2f6c3c50-14fa-4a9a-8051-a950ef9cd6dc

Your aircraft can spot enemy ships.
If your aircraft is still flying, it will feedback information to the rest of your team.

While you're alive, your plane will spot people too :)

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

I took the second screenshot because it was over three minutes later, and new damage had just been added to my potential damage total.  Our Haida, sitting roughly above my underwater wreck, had just dodged some shells, and I got a few thousand more to bring me over 900K at the 4:25 mark or so.  Clearly I wasn't targeted, and if the game is just catching up, well, three minutes is a while.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
461 posts
5,288 battles

Saw it yesterday after my ship sunk. Was thinking that my sinking hull was attracting more numbers similar to how DOT works. Will be interesting to follow this item.

[PVE]
Members
666 posts
5,703 battles

If your hulk is still sinking I can see it. Many people use sinking hulks as torpedo shields while advancing and escaping. Thus your ship is still tanking damage away from your teammates. But after you disappear below the waves then I would think that is too late to still be tanking damage because even the torps launched at you just before you died should have run their course.