You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
False_Fable

300 battles in. What tier(s) should I be playing?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
36 posts
381 battles

I'm new to the game and I've been playing IJN CAs exclusively. I own Yubari and all the tech tree IJN CAs from 1 - 7. My eventual goal is Zao, but I'm in no rush.

I also bought Atago in a moment of weakness after I got a 30% coupon from WG.  But after getting spanked in it a few times I see that I'm not ready for tier 8 yet.  I'm not sure if I should be camping out in my Yubari to train up my commanders, or perhaps Furutaka for mid-tier play that still nets good credits? Or is Myoko a good place to sit and learn, as long as I'm looking at grinding 110k XP on it?

Thanks for any advice.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,409 posts
12,523 battles

Ultimately, play whatever you are having fun in.

With 300 battles I probably would recommend going to much above t5 till you feel comfortable but that really is dependent on how your feeling about positioning, game mechanics, etc.

Yubari (or any other low teir premium) won't make good trainers just cause it hard to make a lot of xp at lower tiers.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,199 posts
14,096 battles

Use Yubari to train captains.

Use Atago in Coop to learn the ship.

Play your tiers 5 to 7 to learn how to play bottom tier.

Tiers 8 and 9 are tier 10.

The Meta for tier 10 is way different.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,697 posts

Taco is a nice one to fun around and grind up a captain in.   I actually like it more than Aoba, due to the nicer torpedo arcs.   You may as well stick with Myoko for a while- tier 7 mm is the current sweet spot, and you can earn good credits there.  Myoko will also train YOU how to play the rest of the line- from here on out, they're all long and clumsy compared to the low tier cruisers, with long range torps but very poor arcs.   Show too much broadside, and you'll eat citadels for days- which makes using torpedoes offensively challenging to say the least.

Myoko is my current favorite target for my US and German heavy cruisers- because it IS so easy to citadel.  Along with the Brits.

I'd recommend alternating between Taco and Yubari, or Myoko and Yubari.  Sharing the same captain, and using Yubari as a fun ship/ tension breaker for when one of THOSE days comes along.   Having a high skilled captain is a HUGE help when you get into the high tiers, as skills start to really get important.

You may even want to branch out, trying different lines and ship types.  That'll give you a broader base of knowledge and tactics.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,582 posts
15,896 battles
16 minutes ago, False_Fable said:

I'm not sure if I should be camping out in my Yubari to train up my commanders, or perhaps Furutaka for mid-tier play that still nets good credits? Or is Myoko a good place to sit and learn, as long as I'm looking at grinding 110k XP on it?

Yubari is so much different from most other cruisers that I wouldn't use her as a trainor for Captains; but I would use her to learn how to shoot. You need to equip her with her unique upgrade and she becomes one of, if not the most, accurate ship in the game. When you shoot the guns in an upgraded Yubari they go where you tell them to go; she has like 76 dispersion or something just as ridiculous.

Myoko is a good place to learn IJN CAs; Furataka is just a bit squishy though still a fun ship. With Myoko you learn about slow turret rotation rates and long intervals between shots; plus she's a good cruiser.

[TBW]
Members
7,378 posts
13,536 battles
12 minutes ago, False_Fable said:

But after getting spanked in it a few times I see that I'm not ready for tier 8 yet. 

I bought Atago early on and did not play well in her at all. I don't think it was so much the tier as I just didn't know how to use the ship back then. I didn't find the forum and or YouTube videos until after about 2000 battles and was flying blind and really mucking up my statistics, which I didn't know about or care about at the time. If you ask me, and I know many will disagree with this. It's more about knowing your ship and it's capabilities and it's faults, than it is what tier you are playing. Knowing which shells to use and why, knowing about the other ships that are shooting at you, angles, tactics, etc... is what will help you at any tier. Learning why not to hit repair at certain times even though you are on fire, this kind of stuff. If you don't learn the Ships, tactics and little nuances it won't matter what tier you play at.

[PVE]
Members
665 posts
5,697 battles

I would stick to the middle tiers until you get a few more hundred games, I wish I had. I worked straight up to Hipper and I got to T8 too fast.

If I were to do it over again I would have stayed at Yorck or Nurnberg and worked up 2 more lines before spending any significant time at T8. Maybe take IJN or French BBs up to T7 to see how they play (and by extension how to play against them).

Edited by MasterDiggs

[HEROS]
Members
1,812 posts
5,785 battles
1 hour ago, False_Fable said:

I'm new to the game and I've been playing IJN CAs exclusively. I own Yubari and all the tech tree IJN CAs from 1 - 7. My eventual goal is Zao, but I'm in no rush.

I also bought Atago in a moment of weakness after I got a 30% coupon from WG.  But after getting spanked in it a few times I see that I'm not ready for tier 8 yet.  I'm not sure if I should be camping out in my Yubari to train up my commanders, or perhaps Furutaka for mid-tier play that still nets good credits? Or is Myoko a good place to sit and learn, as long as I'm looking at grinding 110k XP on it?

Thanks for any advice.

I did exactly the same thing, but entirely differently. mostly IJN DDs, then IJN CAs, then the german BBs, then german CAs, then USN DDs, BBs and CAs, followed by a smattering of everything else.

was trying to get versatile enough so that I could play whatever's hot and favored at the moment, purchased some santa crates, and lucked out with most of the premium ships at the time. I suck in most of them, and don't enjoy the playstyle in the one's I do well in.

have not played enough of anything to be really good at it, and generally like whatever is being nerfed the hardest.

come to think of it, maybe this is a great path NOT to follow... :o)

spud

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,118 battles

anything around tier 5/6. Stay there until you are winning more than 50% and playing against tier 7s as a 5 doesn’t cause you pain anymore. then start to tip toe into high tiers. The game gets very punishing at higher tiers. 

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,567 posts
13,460 battles

At 300 battles in your just barely getting started.  Go ahead and grind up the tiers and get the ships, but mostly do your bread and butter fighting in tiers 5 and 6.  Focus on learning the maps... what your looking for is what positions give you shot lanes where your reasonably protected by cover from incoming fire but have a clear shot to the area you want to either interdict with torpedos (zoning we call it)  and shoot up targets.   The game seem not very mobile at times, and be aware that more often then not if you don't stay somewhat mobile your going to end up getting caught out by someone moving to where you cannot effectively reply.. If your lucky you'll get to run away and survive and keep fighting.

Sad to say learn to NOT depend on your team.. the vast majority of players don't really pay much attention to chat especially in low/mid tiers.   Many are learning the game and are frankly overwhelmed with what they have to pay attention to.  Understanding what's happening around you allows you to better respond to opposing teams movements (coordinated or not).   Developing good situational awareness is the most important key to doing well in the game.  The second and I suspect most difficult skill to learn is when to stop hiding and get out there and fight.  I main on DD's these days so it not so much a issue for me as DD ares always active combattants one way or another.

Always be eye on the prize.   Remember that AFK ships (you will run into them) can spot you, and the secondaries on AFK BB and Cruiser will shoot at you if you get within range.  Other then them spotting you and incidental auto firing secondaries they are no threat.  Always shoot and active target over an AFK.  I've seen matches lost many times because some player decided the AFK was more important then killing active ships and capping to win.  Some times it's simply the clock runs out with a point lead but I've also seen instances where to kill the AFK they stayed out exposed with no cover and everyone knowing where they are because they're firing guns and proceed to get blatted out of existence.   It's a stupid way to loose a match.  Don't do it without carefully checking what can fire at you.   To quote one of my favorite fictional characters  "surprise is what happens when you didn't see what was in front of you all the time" (Honor Harrington).   You'll get surprised plenty with out making it easier for the bad guys to do it to you.

Study the ships.. know the gunnery ranges, torpedo ranges, how fast they can fire, where they can point guns, what the best angle to receive incoming fire is.....everything.     Always assume that what ever you fighting has ALL possible upgrades and a 19 point commander on the ship.  

Remember the G.I. Joe cartoons?  "information is ammunition"

And most importantly always remember this is a game.  You'll find it can be frustratingly challenging at times.  Especially if you don't understand the underlying process and mechanics of AP shells, HE shells, armor protection.  You will learn them eventually, and the more  you learn the more effective you have the potential to be.  No matter what, your going to have to develop a whole lotta skills and it's gonna take time.   Check back with us all when you hit 1000 to 2000 matches!

Please trust us all that if you dive into tier 7 and 8 fights now your just going to die a lot and not be particularly effective in a fight.

And now for the BAD advice:

Yep this is the piece of advice that will get sunk more often than not but if you pay attention to how you get sunk, you'll learn from it.

"safe is not always best"  Remember your driving a war ship and warship go to war, and war is not safe.  Going in harms way is what they're all about.  

And a last small bit of advice.. "gunsight mods" some are quite nice but static mod are mil marked for 20 knot targets...learn to use the dynamic sight.. first off it auto adjusts for the amount of zoom you have (handy!) and its calibrated for 30 knot targets.  Gunnery is everything.  If your not hitting you can't cause damage... Ideal range for most BB and cruiser guns is anywhere your shell dispersion is not wider than your target is long (only an issue really on BB's).   The closer you are the less dispersion is a factor and the more aim point matters.  Of course getting close has it own hazards!   Don't be afraid of making errors as long as your willing to let yourself learn from them.

Now go have fun! 

• Cool 3

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,294 posts
15,013 battles

@False_Fable 300 battles in I would say you are indeed new to this. IJN CAs to tier 7 and 2 premiums Yubari = (Target) and the tier 8 Atago. I agree you are doing rather well. Keep at it with your tier 7 and get the tech tree tier 8 then 9 and 10! Be patient and work with your Atago it is a rather powerful ship once you get use to it. Turret rotation is slow so switching targets takes some pre planning. The torps are very good also. 

Keep at it I took several thousand battles to get to the tier 10 Montana and now have all US BBs, CAs and almost all US CVs. DDs I am not very good at so I have only a few all premiums.  Keep at it and Get Gud as so many say! Good Luck! 

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
3 hours ago, gmrbull said:

anything around tier 5/6. Stay there until you are winning more than 50% and playing against tier 7s as a 5 doesn’t cause you pain anymore. then start to tip toe into high tiers. The game gets very punishing at higher tiers. 

This.

If you care about winning and becoming a good player, don't rush up the tiers. Before advancing make sure 1)you feel confident that you understand the meta at that tier and how to play your ship effectively/make an impact in every match and 2)you are winning more than you are losing. Aim for 50% + winrate at your current tier before moving up.

Tiers 5-7 are probably the sweet spot, lower tiers than that are mostly populated with players that don't know what they are doing yet and 8+ can be too challenging for brand new players.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,138 posts
17,505 battles

I'd say to grind all the way to Zao.  You need some time to experience High Tier (VIII-X) matches because it's quite different than anything prior.  She's also a rock solid Tier X Cruiser that also recently got access to 12km torps.

Get very comfortable with Myoko as she is very much the "template" of later tiers of IJN Cruisers.  She has, unlike the rest of the line, horrible turret traverse.  But what makes her the "template" for later ships is her gunnery, gun layout, torpedo armament and launch angles, concealment.  Seriously, in terms of gameplay, the later ships feel very close to her style, difference is they don't have the rusty turret rings.

Once you feel confident in Myoko, especially when she's bottom tier in Tier IX matches, move up to Tier VIII Mogami.  With Mogami you start feeling the real heat in the game:  Playing in Tier VIII-X matches.  Very dangerous there.  Ask around later about Mogami for advice.  She starts out as a 155mm armed CL then later can research into 203mm guns again, which makes her a CA.  Both have very different demands on captain builds.  She still plays similar regardless of which guns are mounted, but ideal captain build differs quite a bit.  IJN Cruiser players have decisions to make when still grinding towards Tier X and they're on Mogami.  That demand is "To IFHE or not IFHE Mogami."  While IFHE will definitely make the 155mm guns more consistent in getting penetrations, IFHE is unnecessary later on.  With 203mm guns she doesn't neeed IFHE.  IX Ibuki, X Zao do not need IFHE.  If you specialize for CL / IFHE build, you will then need to respec with Doubloons once you're done with Mogami.

Edit:  Spending good time with Myoko is IMO important for another thing.  She is in a good Matchmaking spot.  You can flex your muscles against Tier V-VI ships, while still having to be careful about being in a Tier VIII-IX match.  You got a chance to build confidence while still having to face strong Tier VIII-IX ships where you need to be more wary.  Rack up experience here, then plow into Mogami and brace yourself for Tier VIII-X matches.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[BIER]
Members
183 posts
3,144 battles

I would also recommend this:

GO PLAY GERMAN DDs.

The only way to learn how DDs work is to play them. And the German ones are the best to get a good general idea about all the various DD tactics, as they're Jack-of-All-Trades. You don't have to play far - just up to T5 or maybe T6 in them.

Why play DDs, when you're a CA player?  Because you NEED to know how your primary opponent works. And you won't learn unless you play them.

Members
159 posts
On 7/10/2018 at 2:42 AM, LAnybody said:

I would also recommend this:

GO PLAY GERMAN DDs.

The only way to learn how DDs work is to play them. And the German ones are the best to get a good general idea about all the various DD tactics, as they're Jack-of-All-Trades. You don't have to play far - just up to T5 or maybe T6 in them.

Why play DDs, when you're a CA player?  Because you NEED to know how your primary opponent works. And you won't learn unless you play them.

This. Though I would also recommend playing a B.B. line as well, so you can learn how they play.

Otherwise, don’t be afraid to play your Tier VII Myouko.  The only way to learn is to play.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,294 posts
15,013 battles

@False_Fable In 300+ battles you already have the tier 7 IJN CA that's good and the tier 8 Atago that's good also. Get in the Atago and hit co op to learn how to us it. You tier 7 is eligible for the current scenario so go for that the pay off for a win is very good!

I Captain Harcourt Fenton Mudd XX look forward to encountering you on the SimuBlueSeas!

That is All Carry on

Members
26 posts
6,189 battles

Don't be afraid to try other lines and ship types so that you can broaden your understanding of how different ships play.  You may find a ship type or nation with a different play style that you prefer.  Or you may reaffirm that you prefer IJN cruisers, but your knowledge gained from experiencing different ships will make you play IJN cruisers better.  

I made the mistake of grinding my first line to T10 and playing that T10 ship for over 500 games before trying other lines.  I soon realized that not only did I enjoy other lines more, but my skill increased due to my greater understanding of different ships gained through experiencing them myself.  

Branch out and enjoy yourself.