You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Fighting Fridays - Engagement Range

24 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,242 posts
7,083 battles

Image result for royal navy gun crew

*crew of the HMCS Algonquin at action stations*

When do you start firing your main battery or torpedoes at the enemy fleet?

Even though your vessel's guns and torpedoes have a maximum firing range, optimal damage often involves getting closer to the target,

This ensures your main battery dispersion is less and more shots will land on target.

For torpedoes, a shorter swim to the target gives the enemy vessel less time to spot the incoming fish.

What distance do you unleash your guns and torpedoes on the Red Team?

"Hold what you've got and hit them where you can." - Ernest King, US Navy

#fightingfridays

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,007 posts
6,255 battles

For main guns, close enough to hit, far enough to attempt to dodge but mostly get hit by return fire

For torpedoes, close enough that any closer I will be spotted

For torpedo bombers, close enough that the torpedoes are chasing

For dive bombers, anywhere

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,186 posts
10,885 battles

If they give me an unchanging bearing I will fire from maximum range. Otherwise medium long or about 3/4 of maximum.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,265 posts
11,945 battles

I've citadelled a Hindenburg, that I was aiming at, from 26km away with Musashi...

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

How crazy brave where those sailors fighting from an open mount like that.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,767 posts
4,643 battles

Being a Destroyer main, I fire main batteries under the following circumstances:

1. I am already spotted, and cannot break contact (no island nearby, no smoke or smoke on cooldown), sometimes sooner knowing the situation I am in.
2.  When there is little chance of return fire (enemy is distracted, able to fire over the island). Firing maximum range is permitted
3.  Enemy is low enough health, that even minimal shell hits will sink it. Also when Firing maximum range is permitted.

So this gives me either: 5.9km for Akizuki, under first condition, and 12.5km under the second and third condition.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
295 posts
6,686 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

If I don't expect a better target within the reload time, and you are already detected anyway, you could as well send some shells downrange. The occasional "delete cruiser at max range with one salvo" is worth it, even if the odds are small ;)

Edited by evanr1940
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,186 posts
10,885 battles
26 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

No braver than the men that crewed the enclosed gun mounts on other DD's. That "armor" was really only proof against MG/20mm class weapons.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
20,458 posts
13,904 battles
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That "armor" was really only proof against MG/20mm class weapons.

... there to keep the crew inside when going around a corner.

I'll open fire at max range if no better target is available and move towards a better range. Even if it's far from the optimal shot, shell hits from max range do more damage than shells not fired.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
50 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

No braver than the men that crewed the enclosed gun mounts on other DD's. That "armor" was really only proof against MG/20mm class weapons.

True, but there would be a mental edge, even though you know it won't stop a large caliber round you would still feel safer than an open mount.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Also the attacks on the Yamato and Musashi fighters killed a lot of the AA gunners in open mounts with .50 cal fire. So give me an enclosed mount every time lol.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,625 battles
2 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

For torpedoes, a shorter swim to the target gives the enemy vessel less time to spot the incoming fish.

When I reach the .5k buffer zone between radar range and torp range. Fun and engaging.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,468 posts
6,065 battles

I might lob a couple salvoes at extreme range.   I get the occasional lucky citadel.   Mostly I like to brawl though, so 10km or less.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

It is funny but I ALWAYS fire at German Battleships at max range, I get a lot of significant hits that way. If there is a battleships sailing broadside in a strait line I will blast away at max range. I have gotten a citadel on a Montana at a ridiculous range of 26km before. For me it is all about my positioning when it comes to the decision if I want to risk a long range shot.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,186 posts
10,885 battles
10 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

It is funny but I ALWAYS fire at German Battleships at max range, I get a lot of significant hits that way. If there is a battleships sailing broadside in a strait line I will blast away at max range. I have gotten a citadel on a Montana at a ridiculous range of 26km before. For me it is all about my positioning when it comes to the decision if I want to risk a long range shot.

This used to work better before Situational Awareness was a built in skill although it is surprised how often you find people that have John Sedgwick syndrome, " They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance", he never finished the last word.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

When In my KM ships I brawl within Secondarie ranges.

I have my favorite Routes and Positions.

Just  Started the USN Cruiser Lines 37k away from the des moines / 5k away from the seattle. CA's I play area Denial, CL's I play Pure Defence of my Team. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,783 posts
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Image result for royal navy gun crew

*crew of the HMCS Algonquin at action stations*

Even though your vessel's guns and torpedoes have a maximum firing range, optimal damage often involves getting closer to the target,

This ensures your main battery dispersion is less and more shots will land on target.

"Hold what you've got and hit them where you can." - Ernest King, US Navy

#fightingfridays

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,664 battles

The current meta forces players to hold fire until spotted. Now an interesting counter is with the Zao. I got a 2.9 sec rudder crapwith her. So fire at max range and kite the return fire from 6 ships.

• Cool 1

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

For main guns usually within range. Will take medium range over long if given a choice.

For torps it depends on target orientation or situation. If some one is closing i will fire them just beyond max range so i can turn and escape undetected. If im ambushing i like try and time the shot so that as soon as they clear the island its too late to dodge. This of course is much harder to do. 

[PVE]
Members
665 posts
5,701 battles

For cruisers and many BBs I open fire at whatever range nets a 10 second shell flight time. Any further than that and it is too easy to dodge my shells. For KM BBs I prefer around 12km and I won't shoot at anything farther out than 15km due to their dispersion.

For DD torps, I like 7-8km if I can manage it so they don't fan out too far and the enemy has less time to zigzag away from them.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,980 posts
9,293 battles
13 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Not entirely true in this game. Unless there's another ship close by, I could take the torps from Shima, launch at 18 km, or 8 km, and they would still be spotted by a ship at 2.5 km. More if they have Hydro up. Which is really kinda the issue with IJN DD's right now. Look at Yugumo and Fletcher, really almost all the tier 9's, they all have torps with similar or the same speed and range, yet they have lower spotted distance. In the case of Fletcher, about 1/3 of a km. Take those first two, Fletcher has 2x5 center mounts, with a range on it's top set of 10.5 km, 19k damage, 1.4 km spotting range on a 106 second base reload at 66 knots. Yugumo has 2x4 center mounts, 10 km range, just under 21k damage, 1.7 km spotting range on a 112 second reload at 67 knots. Fletcher gives you about 8 seconds to react. Yugumo gives you about 10. And lets throw on there that most of these DD's, including Fletcher, are noted for much better overall gun performance. So much for IJN stealth torp boats when USN and pretty much every other nation are doing it better. Oh sure, my IJN one gets slightly better damage, and a .3 km advantage in ship detection in a meta where stealth is becoming less and less relevant. Fletcher has more HP, pretty sure more armour, guns that rotate faster and fire nearly double the rate with similar damage, better speed and mobility, and torps that have a similar range and speed, but an extra 2 per launcher at a faster reload that are spotted later than IJN and leaves almost 2 seconds less time to react to, and even better AA for the cherry on top. 

Back on topic - torps I launch as close as possible when I can. less chance a random movement throws my aim off. Guns depends on the situation. Usually, I wait till an enemy spots my ship/is about to unless I see say, a broadside cruiser in a BB that's about to eat a citadel hit from my guns. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles
On 7/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, Belthorian said:

I know, right?....I look at ships like the Okhotnik we have in game and think, these poor sods had to stand on the deck of this thing with nothing more than a helmet???....

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles
19 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Not entirely true in this game. Unless there's another ship close by, I could take the torps from Shima, launch at 18 km, or 8 km, and they would still be spotted by a ship at 2.5 km. More if they have Hydro up. Which is really kinda the issue with IJN DD's right now. Look at Yugumo and Fletcher, really almost all the tier 9's, they all have torps with similar or the same speed and range, yet they have lower spotted distance. In the case of Fletcher, about 1/3 of a km. Take those first two, Fletcher has 2x5 center mounts, with a range on it's top set of 10.5 km, 19k damage, 1.4 km spotting range on a 106 second base reload at 66 knots. Yugumo has 2x4 center mounts, 10 km range, just under 21k damage, 1.7 km spotting range on a 112 second reload at 67 knots. Fletcher gives you about 8 seconds to react. Yugumo gives you about 10. And lets throw on there that most of these DD's, including Fletcher, are noted for much better overall gun performance. So much for IJN stealth torp boats when USN and pretty much every other nation are doing it better. Oh sure, my IJN one gets slightly better damage, and a .3 km advantage in ship detection in a meta where stealth is becoming less and less relevant. Fletcher has more HP, pretty sure more armour, guns that rotate faster and fire nearly double the rate with similar damage, better speed and mobility, and torps that have a similar range and speed, but an extra 2 per launcher at a faster reload that are spotted later than IJN and leaves almost 2 seconds less time to react to, and even better AA for the cherry on top. 

Back on topic - torps I launch as close as possible when I can. less chance a random movement throws my aim off. Guns depends on the situation. Usually, I wait till an enemy spots my ship/is about to unless I see say, a broadside cruiser in a BB that's about to eat a citadel hit from my guns. 

I was going to make a similar point....the pedoes are spotted when they're spotted, not more quickly just because they were dropped more recently....of course dropping them at shorter ranges does lead to greater hit-rates, though.