You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ironrust

Double ruddershift or concealment on zao

18 comments in this topic

[NOBUL]
Members
45 posts
8,165 battles

No need to dodge if you're not being seen.  When to shoot and when to hold off is key to your concealment.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,069 posts
Just now, Zigfreid501 said:

No need to dodge if you're not being seen.  When to shoot and when to hold off is key to your concealment.

Concealment. Duh. 

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,204 posts
14,963 battles

Zao's become stronger the longer the game lasts and can "at times" act as a dd ...I would go with concealment 

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,664 battles

I'm on the other side. Why be passive when you can be a long range sniper? I'm using the legendary mod right now to dodge shells. Most players on random give up shooting on me when they see they don't connect. And I can smack island humpers using the spotter plane. A counterplay to to island waifu hunting meta.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,265 posts
11,945 battles

you get the special upgrade for it.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

IMO concealment. Zao is great at supporting DDs. Also, with the new 12 km torps you have a nice window to launch them while concealed. Concealment gives more versatility in a battle.

[MKF]
Members
450 posts
16,437 battles
2 hours ago, Ironrust said:

What is the preferred one in the current meta?

Concealment is much better IMO. Van really surprise DDs and other CAs with it. Likewise makes it easy to go dark when you're being focused. Wait till they turn their guns then start burning them again.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,154 posts
17,521 battles

No question, CSM1 > SGM3 for Zao any day, every day of the week, every hour, every minute, every second.  Without a doubt.

• Cool 1

[NAB]
Members
411 posts
8,909 battles
2 hours ago, Zigfreid501 said:

THIS

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
3 hours ago, Ironrust said:

Concealment.

It's a no-brainer.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
4,848 battles

Stealth torping with 12k torps.

TeeHeeHee

[CUTIE]
Members
362 posts
14,008 battles
3 hours ago, Ironrust said:

At this point you are better off grinding out the legendary module and running single rudder shift.  gets you to ~5 second rudder and the benefit if concealment with only slightly less range.  You can still opt for using double rudder with the mod and get destroyer like ridder shift though, if you so choose.

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,664 battles
40 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Stealth torping with 12k torps.

TeeHeeHee

Just remember these torps have a 1.7 km detection range. They're useful for area denial. The last time I killed a ship with it was a mino who decided to slow down and smoke up right into the path of a torp spread I laid down 30 seconds previously. My division mates were cackling as it went in. You also have issues with the firing angles. Useful but be aware of the limitations. You're not going to turn broadside in a CQB match with them.

55 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No question, CSM1 > SGM3 for Zao any day, every day of the week, every hour, every minute, every second.  Without a doubt.

1 hour ago, Dath_1 said:

Concealment is much better IMO. Van really surprise DDs and other CAs with it. Likewise makes it easy to go dark when you're being focused. Wait till they turn their guns then start burning them again.

My counter argument: 2.9 sec rudder shift build. Add also the spotting and extended hydro use mod. At 12-20 km range the slow turret traverse does not matter

shot-18_07.06_15_50.18-0519.thumb.jpg.5e2cab0c20bcaf7ab1514e20fc2e153b.jpg

You're talking USN DD levels of rudder shift here. Use the spotter to target island waifu humpers and force them to move or get burned down. No worries about being radared or secondaried.  I've opened fired at the start as bait to make the other tms reveal themselves. Being focused fired on? As long as I use free look to see where the shots are falling I dodge/kite where the shots are going. And I can flex far faster to the point of contention than a waifu hunter. Proof?  Recent games I had:

shot-18_07.03_15_24.56-0699.thumb.jpg.c3f3c588dca1862686c5fde6b1021570.jpg

shot-18_07.06_15_58_58-0131.thumb.jpg.cb2dd6821a116a1346b323ba018373d1.jpg

It's a good counter to the current meta. I'm satisfied with it since I'm not a devotee of island humping. I'm not being passive and wait for a foolish ship to come across my gus. I'm moving to engage stationary targets and catch them at a cross fire.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[MKF]
Members
450 posts
16,437 battles
36 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

My counter argument: 2.9 sec rudder shift build. Add also the spotting and extended hydro use mod. At 12-20 km range the slow turret traverse does not matter.

You're talking USN DD levels of rudder shift here. Use the spotter to target island waifu humpers and force them to move or get burned down. No worries about being radared or secondaried.  I've opened fired at the start as bait to make the other tms reveal themselves. Being focused fired on? As long as I use free look to see where the shots are falling I dodge/kite where the shots are going. And I can flex far faster to the point of contention than a waifu hunter. Proof?  Recent games I had

It's a good counter to the current meta. I'm satisfied with it since I'm not a devotee of island humping. I'm not being passive and wait for a foolish ship to come across my gus. I'm moving to engage stationary targets and catch them at a cross fire.

More power to you. I've never had to worry about radar and I prefer to be able to dictate engagements. Glad it works for you just not my preference.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,154 posts
17,521 battles
54 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Just remember these torps have a 1.7 km detection range. They're useful for area denial. The last time I killed a ship with it was a mino who decided to slow down and smoke up right into the path of a torp spread I laid down 30 seconds previously. My division mates were cackling as it went in. You also have issues with the firing angles. Useful but be aware of the limitations. You're not going to turn broadside in a CQB match with them.

My counter argument: 2.9 sec rudder shift build. Add also the spotting and extended hydro use mod. At 12-20 km range the slow turret traverse does not matter

shot-18_07.06_15_50.18-0519.thumb.jpg.5e2cab0c20bcaf7ab1514e20fc2e153b.jpg

You're talking USN DD levels of rudder shift here. Use the spotter to target island waifu humpers and force them to move or get burned down. No worries about being radared or secondaried.  I've opened fired at the start as bait to make the other tms reveal themselves. Being focused fired on? As long as I use free look to see where the shots are falling I dodge/kite where the shots are going. And I can flex far faster to the point of contention than a waifu hunter. Proof?  Recent games I had:

shot-18_07.03_15_24.56-0699.thumb.jpg.c3f3c588dca1862686c5fde6b1021570.jpg

shot-18_07.06_15_58_58-0131.thumb.jpg.cb2dd6821a116a1346b323ba018373d1.jpg

No need to worry about crazy rudder shifting when you can fade away with a full stealth build Zao.  With the 12km torps, your stealth torp window is even better.

Sure, it's easy when the lines are "static" in a match, but when sh*t's falling apart, that full stealth build lets Zao easily control engagements on her terms not someone else's.

Zao was never an island humper.  Her shells fly at too low an arc and high velocity to make islands of use the same way DM, Worcester, Minotaur do.

I tend to play aggressively to a fault, and even Zao's stealth has bailed me out of trouble many times.  Of my Tier X Cruisers, she's my highest Survival% despite me not playing her as much.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles

Consealment or Rudder shift?

Cake or Death question if there ever was one. :Smile-_tongue: