You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
navydataman

new minimap target circle

11 comments in this topic

[TF77V]
Members
14 posts
8,357 battles

At first the little circle on the mini map that shows where the main guns are aiming is a little annoying. Once I got a spotter in the air it really helps you find a target you are aiming in the direction of but cannot see it because you are looking too near or too far. You must have a name for this little circle, in several languages. I give it a thumbs up.

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,567 battles

Maybe more people will actually look at the mini map now.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,231 battles
23 minutes ago, navydataman said:

You must have a name for this little circle, in several languages.

Pip, cursor, aim point indicator.  Yep, lots of names.

-R

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles

I wonder what the potential is for long range blind fire in cyclones, where other ships are spotting the enemy, which appears on the map, but you cannot see them.

For ships that can put enough shells in the air often enough to compensate for the increased dispersion, it should prove interesting to try. (Lyon, Helena and Atlanta captains, and those of certain Japanese cruisers in six-inch form, please note). If nothing else, it may enable a cruiser or multi-gun BB at a distance to assist with things like cap resets if there's a destroyer doing spotting for it that dares not fire because of low health. Previously I'd have railed against things like this, but now that everybody will have it in game, the playing field is level.

[TDG]
Members
1,617 posts
7,837 battles

That is certainly something that will be easier with the pipper on the minimap.

I can confirm that you can only move the pipper to locations you would be able to aim at without it.  Spotter with the lookdown makes much more of the backsides of islands targetable.

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
429 posts
10,940 battles

Yeah im okay with it but i know some elitist [edited] will be all up on reddit calling it the end of the world cause noobs will have an advantage in aiming or some crap. Because of the lock on targeting increasing gun accuracy the little circle wont be OP in any form or fashion. The circle will just help those new to the game or those developing their aiming.

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

Target circle on minimap is pretty cool. Kudos on adding that. Otherwise, please stop putting t10 ships in the Arsenal. They should be back on the tech tree and should only require XP.  To get a sneak peek at future ships, or to test premium ships, sure, put in the Arsenal. The Arsenal is a neat new addition for flags and camo and other stuff. Just don't put tech tree ships in there. Also, the Arsenal screen usually is slow to load, if at all. After clicking to get into it the screen sometimes stays blank for 10 or so minutes. Often it requires repeat attempts to get into it.

***UPDATE***   I was wrong. I finally got Arsenal to work correctly by using the "install game by ID" method rather than importing the PT client after it was already installed. That said, at least this time around, the rewards and crates come flying in fast enough to get t10 ships quickly without grinding to much. As long as it stays like that, the Arsenal is cool.  

Edited by ADM_Zakk_Zero
correction

[DPI]
Members
48 posts
On 6.7.2018 at 5:43 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wonder what the potential is for long range blind fire in cyclones, where other ships are spotting the enemy, which appears on the map, but you cannot see them.

For ships that can put enough shells in the air often enough to compensate for the increased dispersion, it should prove interesting to try. (Lyon, Helena and Atlanta captains, and those of certain Japanese cruisers in six-inch form, please note). If nothing else, it may enable a cruiser or multi-gun BB at a distance to assist with things like cap resets if there's a destroyer doing spotting for it that dares not fire because of low health. Previously I'd have railed against things like this, but now that everybody will have it in game, the playing field is level.

I can confirm that, with this you can actually aim at ships that your teammate are spotting and are not detected by yourself. Needed a bit of adjustment but could get consistent hits after awhile. Also helps a lot for ships hiding behind an island. No more guessing of the elevation / distance. This has been available for awhile now as a mod. Personally I don't like it, because it feels like cheating,  but if WG doesn't want to or can't prohibit others from using the mod I guess it is only fair if everyone has it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
22 hours ago, ADM_Zakk_Zero said:

Target circle on minimap is pretty cool. Kudos on adding that. Otherwise, please stop putting t10 ships in the Arsenal. They should be back on the tech tree and should only require XP.  To get a sneak peek at future ships, or to test premium ships, sure, put in the Arsenal. The Arsenal is a neat new addition for flags and camo and other stuff. Just don't put tech tree ships in there. Also, the Arsenal screen usually is slow to load, if at all. After clicking to get into it the screen sometimes stays blank for 10 or so minutes. Often it requires repeat attempts to get into it.

***UPDATE***   I was wrong. I finally got Arsenal to work correctly by using the "install game by ID" method rather than importing the PT client after it was already installed. That said, at least this time around, the rewards and crates come flying in fast enough to get t10 ships quickly without grinding to much. As long as it stays like that, the Arsenal is cool.  

The T10 ships are in the Arsenal because various means of buying arsenal stuff (coal, steel, shark/eagle tokens in this latest event) are being tested and WG wants something desirable behind the "test wall" for players to strive after. I suspect that for the 0.7.8 PTS cycle you won't see that any more.

[OGU]
Members
33 posts
6,171 battles

What I like about this aiming assist is it helps me properly line up shots on ships that I don't have direct line of sight on.  I'm decent at blind firing over a mountain, but having this made it easier to do.  This will help those who aren't comfortable with those types of shots to better line them up.  It still takes some skill to use properly and consistently hit targets.  It also helps to have the mini-map larger than it is by default (which I do already just so it's easier to see everything.

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles
On 7/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The T10 ships are in the Arsenal because various means of buying arsenal stuff (coal, steel, shark/eagle tokens in this latest event) are being tested and WG wants something desirable behind the "test wall" for players to strive after. I suspect that for the 0.7.8 PTS cycle you won't see that any more.

Ahhhh, I see. At first it seemed like an unnecessary barrier/hindrance to getting t10 ships but it seems ok now.  Admittedly I didn't understand it as much as I do now.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, ADM_Zakk_Zero said:

***2nd UPDATE***   Back to square one. Today, none of the computers can access Arsenal again. Because it has been duplicated on 4 different computers across 2 different high speed internet connections and symptoms start and stop at the same time for each, that's not an equipment issue. Some sort of flaw in the Arsenal design allows this to happen. Please make Arsenal less intensive and work no differently than any of the port screens. No need for fancy graphics, just text will do. Well, just make Arsenal work as well as it does/the same way it does in the current live server. That would be horrible if this quirk continues with 7 7 1 rolls out on the live one.