Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Schnauzahpowahz

New (to me) ships in shop

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

22
[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
178 posts
3,473 battles

Are these of any interest? Fun , workable etc for a noob like m'self

 

Ofcourse I've done a little research but most things I locate are not 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
8 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

Are these of any interest? Fun , workable etc for a noob like m'self

 

Ofcourse I've done a little research but most things I locate are not 2018

Which one are you looking at? Tons of ships in the shop currently. And give us an idea of what you play and what tier you’re at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
178 posts
3,473 battles

I've gotten prems for training capts which has worked out pretty well so far. Doing all three ships types up to tier 6 so far. Plus they make good cred. 

I'm looking at the gascan in particular to start my French BB capt line 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
373
[SUCIT]
Members
1,023 posts
4,313 battles
12 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

Are these of any interest? Fun , workable etc for a noob like m'self

 

Ofcourse I've done a little research but most things I locate are not 2018

What type of ships do you like playing?  I can't recommend getting anything higher than whatever tier you currently are in the tech tree though.  You'll get smacked around at higher tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98
[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

It seems you mostly play coop and have a number of premiums as well.  @AdmiralThunder is probably the guy to give you the lowdown on coop premiums but from my understanding all BBs are solid in coop especially ones that can do a good secondary build like Gascogne can.

Edited by mrh308

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

This is one of the ships I don’t own and haven’t really been interested in. I’ve heard it is fun but I don’t think I would like it too much. If you want it for training, I guess that makes more sense. If you have any others, I might be more help. Here is an excellent write up on it: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[NAB]
Members
412 posts
9,003 battles

If you like BB, the Julio Cesare is pretty much OP and will reward almost anyone who plays it.  It's a must have IMHO.  I love a lot of the ships in the prem shop like atago, atlanta, sharnhorst but they all have quirky gameplay and might frustrate some people.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
178 posts
3,473 battles
9 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

It seems you mostly play coop and have a number of premiums as well.  @Admiral_Thunder is probably the guy to give you the lowdown on coop premiums but from my understanding all BBs are solid in coop especially ones that can do a good secondary build like Gascogne can.

Right , yeah it's mostly coop atm. Recieved several ships from super containers including the Cleveland as of yesterday from that Facebook code. I splurge on wows, gave up console gaming and dont play much else. I've had good times in most of them. 

 

It's hard for me to justify the non tech tree line prem nations although I got the cesare, how could I pass that up. The Haida as well, which Im having some good games in.

 

I was mainly referring to the ones added today, think 6 or 7 of them 

Edited by Schnauzahpowahz
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98
[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
1 minute ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

Right , yeah it's mostly coop atm. Recieved several ships from super containers including the Cleveland as of yesterday from that Facebook code. I splurge on wows, gave up console gaming and dont play much else. I've had good times in most of them. 

 

It's hard for me to justify the non tech tree line prem nations although I got the cesare, how could I pass that up. The Haida as well, which In having some good games in.

Yeah I would say if you prefer coop BBs are the way to go.  They can train cruiser captains decently as well and typically do good damage so you get good credits and xp.  The other advantage of the Gascogne in particular is that you can use it in the Hermes operation.  Operations are excellent ways to farm credits and xp since once you figure out how the mission works it is not difficult to regularly get random battle levels of rewards (base xp around 1k-1.5k while credits would be about half or so of a similar base xp random battle) which is much better than pure coop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
4 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

I was mainly referring to the ones added today, think 6 or 7 of them 

Oh ok. So assuming you mean BB’s only,

Gascogne I really don’t know much of. I’ve heard it’s fun with good secondaries and poor dispersion. That’s all I can say about it.

The Roma is really a bipolar one for me. I love the ship, the looks, the speed, the stealth, and the playstyle. The thing that bothers me is the “amazing” penetration of the AP and the dispersion. Some shots are all over the place and you get a few pens while others will look perfect only to overpen. You need CE and the concelwment upgrade. Great ship but can have good and bad every other salvo. If you don’t mind the bad looks or you don’t mind downloading a mod, you can purchase the expensive camo that makes her earn a good bit more (would assume this would help in co op). Would recommend if you have a 10 point captain and don’t mind rng. 

The Massachusetts is a really fun BB. It has great secondaries which makes it loads of fun. The only bad news for you is that to really make them work you need at least a 14 point captain. To make them work and do a good chunk of damage, you need an 18 point captain. I would reccomend it if you had those. I’m not sure how it would be without at least AFT and MS. Maybe someone else can comment on that. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,991
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,352 battles
1 hour ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

Are these of any interest? Fun , workable etc for a noob like m'self

 

Ofcourse I've done a little research but most things I locate are not 2018

56 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

It seems you mostly play coop and have a number of premiums as well.  @AdmiralThunder is probably the guy to give you the lowdown on coop premiums but from my understanding all BBs are solid in coop especially ones that can do a good secondary build like Gascogne can.

I think you would be better served to slow down and play up the tech tree a bit more than keep buying so many Premiums to jump higher in the game than you are really ready for (this is  a common new player mistake). Slow down and play/learn the game before trying to skyrocket to the high tiers. IF you don't already have it Premium time would do more good for you than a Premium ship. JMHO but that is your call so...

You say you like BB's so on that topic...

Gascogne is an excellent BB for Co-op and as a French BB Capt trainer in general. Much better than Dunkerque would be IMO. Go for a secondary build on it (SBM2 and BFT/AFT for Capt - no need for manual secondary's). It is a fun ship and will earn decent for you. The pinnacles of the French BB line, Alsace and Republique, are a blast and do very well in Co-op with secondary builds.

Alabama would be a good US Capt trainer as would Massachusetts. But, don't go full Capt build for a Mass secondary brawler with IFHE/Manual Secondary's and the like if the Capt will be used on other US BB's. Stick to BFF/AFT and SBM2 which will make it a capable brawler but the Capt can swap over to regular US BB's that specialize in AA. An Atlanta Capt can work in Mass too as the Atlanta Capt would ideally have AFT/CE/IFHE. Both earn well in Co-op.

Scharnhorst & Tirpitz both do well in Co-op earnings wise and are excellent Capt trainers for the German BB line. As with the French go secondary build.

Roma is not a good BB in general and has horrible guns. There is no Italian BB line right now so it isn't much use as a trainer. It only earns well in Co-op with the special Kobayashi camo which makes up for the poor performance from the ship as a rule. I almost never play it anymore.  I would say not to get Roma but as with my opening comments it is your call.

Mutsu and Kii are "ok" ships and would help train a Capt for the IJN BB line. I have both and they are decent. Ashitaka is a hard ship to play and do well in. I actually like it well enough but most don't so use caution if buying.

You have Warspite already I think I saw. Hood is a great Co-op ship and BB overall BUT like Warspite it is AP focused not HE and the BRN BB line is an HE spamming line so they don't make the best trainers IMO. Sort of like using a regular BRN CL Capt in Belfast. Just doesn't quite fit. Hood is a very good earner though and IMO a really fun ship. Some complain about it's guns but I have no issue with them. Hood is a favorite of mine for Co-op and in general. Duke of York is a worse KGV. I wouldn't spend money on it when the tech tree ship is better BUT it follows the BRN BB lines HE spamming role better than the other 2 so it could be a useful Capt trainer for the BRN line.

Hope it helps. :Smile_great:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
178 posts
3,473 battles
18 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think you would be better served to slow down and play up the tech tree a bit more than keep buying so many Premiums to jump higher in the game than you are really ready for (this is  a common new player mistake). Slow down and play/learn the game before trying to skyrocket to the high tiers. IF you don't already have it Premium time would do more good for you than a Premium ship. JMHO but that is your call so...

You say you like BB's so on that topic...

Gascogne is an excellent BB for Co-op and as a French BB Capt trainer in general. Much better than Dunkerque would be IMO. Go for a secondary build on it (SBM2 and BFT/AFT for Capt - no need for manual secondary's). It is a fun ship and will earn decent for you. The pinnacles of the French BB line, Alsace and Republique, are a blast and do very well in Co-op with secondary builds.

Alabama would be a good US Capt trainer as would Massachusetts. But, don't go full Capt build for a Mass secondary brawler with IFHE/Manual Secondary's and the like if the Capt will be used on other US BB's. Stick to BFF/AFT and SBM2 which will make it a capable brawler but the Capt can swap over to regular US BB's that specialize in AA. An Atlanta Capt can work in Mass too as the Atlanta Capt would ideally have AFT/CE/IFHE. Both earn well in Co-op.

Scharnhorst & Tirpitz both do well in Co-op earnings wise and are excellent Capt trainers for the German BB line. As with the French go secondary build.

Roma is not a good BB in general and has horrible guns. There is no Italian BB line right now so it isn't much use as a trainer. It only earns well in Co-op with the special Kobayashi camo which makes up for the poor performance from the ship as a rule. I almost never play it anymore.  I would say not to get Roma but as with my opening comments it is your call.

Mutsu and Kii are "ok" ships and would help train a Capt for the IJN BB line. I have both and they are decent. Ashitaka is a hard ship to play and do well in. I actually like it well enough but most don't so use caution if buying.

You have Warspite already I think I saw. Hood is a great Co-op ship and BB overall BUT like Warspite it is AP focused not HE and the BRN BB line is an HE spamming line so they don't make the best trainers IMO. Sort of like using a regular BRN CL Capt in Belfast. Just doesn't quite fit. Hood is a very good earner though and IMO a really fun ship. Some complain about it's guns but I have no issue with them. Hood is a favorite of mine for Co-op and in general. Duke of York is a worse KGV. I wouldn't spend money on it when the tech tree ship is better BUT it follows the BRN BB lines HE spamming role better than the other 2 so it could be a useful Capt trainer for the BRN line.

Hope it helps. :Smile_great:

I agree completely.  I'm like a kid in a candy shop,  my fascination with all things ww2 get the best of me. The closest t10 is my USN cruiser heavy line, I try to focus that most of the time. 

 

 If I understand correctly most of these are fairly rare and there's no telling when theyll come round again that's why I ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98
[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
44 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

 If I understand correctly most of these are fairly rare and there's no telling when theyll come round again that's why I ask

Its really artificial scarcity.  Most premiums are sold repeatedly on rotation.  Don't feel like you need to buy something because you will miss out.  Unless it is seen as OP or relies on game mechanics that get changed (like smoke for some of the smoke cruisers) pretty much all premiums are available at some point in a given year.  With the amount of ships currently in the shop they may be changing that policy so most things are on sale most of the time.  I don't know if it is just a month long experiment or if its a change of policy.  Regardless none of the ships you have mentioned fit either category so there is basically a 99% chance that you will be able to purchase them at some point later in the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
205
[BNKR]
Members
460 posts
2,887 battles

Tirpitz is fun in PvE because you can get away with just patently stupid things most of the time due to the secondaries and torps. (I'll need to learn how to actually play it right once I feel ready for higher tier random play.)

Alabama is a good bote. Shells are a tad floaty, but it hits so, so hard, has a great turn radius, shrugs off torps, and eats planes. Not much of a brawler or sniper -- it is outstanding at mid range. Get CE on your captain and, with the module, you get 12.3 km concealment.

Roma is even stealthier, and can bow tank for days. Issue is a lack of good AA and the guns...well, they are like unruly children. LOVE them when they behave; want to throw them overboard when they don't (which is often). :Smile_teethhappy:

All make good PvE coin, too.

Best of luck!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×