You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

USN CL line question

24 comments in this topic

Members
327 posts
6,827 battles

After the line split at the pepsicola are there any stand out cruisers on the CL line? What are the good ships and which are a pin to grind through? TIA

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,218 posts
5,216 battles

I really like the Dallas.  Not a grind at all.

I am looking forward to the Helena, you know...15 guns!

Cleveland STILL rocks!

IMO, the best thing about the split is that Pensacola is a really good t6 heavy now as is the New Orleans at t7.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,746 posts

Helena is great if you play to her strengths. I like her better than the old T6 Cleveland, and the T7 MM is a bonus.

The Pepsi and NOLA benefited from the tier drop. New Orleans is a lot more fun now even without radar.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,213 posts
7,205 battles

Helena and Cleveland are two very strong ships for their Tier, and a special mention belongs to Worcester. Very good ship,

[ARGSY]
Members
10,200 posts
6,652 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Not a grind at all.

Oh it's a grind (in the technical sense), but it's a fun grind so you sort of don't care how long it takes. Omaha was like that too, but Omaha was fun because her main battery outshoots the Dallas with respect to range and her torpedoes can wreck the day of light cruisers that get too close (plus you've always got some guns ready on the other side if you get surprised). Not too sure I'd care to take an Omaha to a Tier VIII fight, though, and she's not as much fun when the airplanes come for you en masse. Dallas at least can hope to depopulate the carriers' air groups a bit before she goes down.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
50 minutes ago, DanielLeary said:

Helena (tier 7) and Cleveland (tier 8) are good cruisers.

Don't have the Helena yet and IFHE Clevelands are why fires need to be changed. Tear huge chunks of health off ships and still start fires.

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Helena and Cleveland are good and keepers for me.

Dallas and Seattle I kept as I am collector, have plenty of spots and reserve captains anyway, but probably for Coop only as I do with Omaha. I like Seattle better than Dallas.

Just got Worcester (the one even the locals can't pronounce as written - sheesh-) and am liking it, though too new at it.

As all cruisers, they are not easy to handle in a world of BBs and AP.

Edited by alexf24

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

I free experienced to the Dallas as the power creep and not the tier 5 MM has made the Omaha extremely painful to play.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
863 posts
13,281 battles

Dallas is a Flamethrower and can be very effective. Played maybe ten games yesterday in total, with two Kraken in the Dallas. Did not care much for the ship initially. But once I figured out how to play it I began having a lot of fun with it. Really looking forward to Helena. And Cleveland is still a beast, though feels maybe not quite as good at T8 as it was at T6 due to often being in battles at T10.

Respects,

Am

[ARGSY]
Members
10,200 posts
6,652 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

the power creep and not the tier 5 MM has made the Omaha extremely painful to play.

Odd; I didn't find her painful at all, and as a seal-potato with far fewer battles than you, I ought to be suffering more. I only sold mine because I needed port space, and because the last game I played in her was a 130K HP miracle with not a scratch on my own ship. I thought 41K would be enough for Dallas but it wasn't, so I free XP'd the last 1300 or so because I didn't want to spoil the memory with a less than perfect game.

3,702 posts
611 battles

Dallas is fun if you have CE and IFHE. Otherwise it's a chore. She's even squishier than the Pensacola and doesn't have any range. Without CE you're dangerously close to your detection range just to get into shooting range and without IFHE your shells will shatter on everything.

The CLs NEED a 14+ point captain.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
7,401 battles

I honestly have no idea why people think the Cleveland is a good ship at tier 8. Baltimore completely destroys it. Helena is, however, good.

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Helena is the keeper of the line, the gem of the line. No debate about that. 15 guns, Tier 7 matchmaking, she's a worthy successor to the Tier 6 Cleveland, perhaps even more than that. I would highly recommend grinding to the Helena (if you don't already have free EXP to unlock it) and stay there.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Odd; I didn't find her painful at all, and as a seal-potato with far fewer battles than you, I ought to be suffering more. I only sold mine because I needed port space, and because the last game I played in her was a 130K HP miracle with not a scratch on my own ship. I thought 41K would be enough for Dallas but it wasn't, so I free XP'd the last 1300 or so because I didn't want to spoil the memory with a less than perfect game.

It may be that I haven't played her much recently and that I don't have a well trained captain on her. I am not in game but I don't think that captain is even 6 points. A 10 or even better 14 point captain with IFHE would make a big difference.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,252 posts
15,022 battles
29 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

I honestly have no idea why people think the Cleveland is a good ship at tier 8. Baltimore completely destroys it. Helena is, however, good.

Funny you say that. I played the new Cherry Blossom mission once and brought my Balti, all others brought the Cleveland. I had no idea what to do...just played along. I assumed I would be last after seeing all of them fire non stop...My Balti AP was OP ...first by a mile. The key difference is the Clevleand is Fun ...can't argue that. But the Balti can be brutal when played right.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,200 posts
6,652 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am not in game but I don't think that captain is even 6 points. A 10 or even better 14 point captain with IFHE would make a big difference.

I got mine up to nine. I think his skill set is PT, AR, LS (after the British cruisers, I was nervous about my rudder), DE. 

He's currently in the Atlanta, retraining for the Mahan so that she can have a captain with gun-focused skills and a slightly faster torpedo reload for when most of the chips are down.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,797 posts
21,011 battles

I skipped the Dallas since I already had the Cleveland. From what I read in the forum she seems to be less crap then expected but I wanted the Helena out of historic reasons.

The Helena is a excellent ship and also one of the forums favorites. Which is a sign she is well balanced... Soviet style.

The Seattle is utterly crap. Real bad. There is nothing good about that ship. No, nada, nein, njet. I throwed 80k freeXP into her to get rid of that ship. I would rather play the Izumo then the Seattle.

The Sauce is a league of her own.  Versantile, high damage potential but she Needs skill to make her work. And she will burn credits if you run her on full premium supplies.

So you get one Meh boat, three rather good ships (including the Cleveland) and one that is a real pain.  

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

After the line split at the pepsicola are there any stand out cruisers on the CL line? What are the good ships and which are a pin to grind through? TIA

It is off topic but I always like reading your posts because of your screen name.....who doesn't like Ferrets right!

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Helena and Cleveland are excellent. However, Cleveland (at least in my case) suffers from being frequently bottom tiered against greatly superior tier 10s. I've tried out Dallas in Co-Op and she seems to be a decent bote. I may jump into the shark tank with Dallas sometime today.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles

Dallas - Passable ship for Tier VI.  Will forever be compared to old VI Cleveland, which she'll never come out in a good light.

Helena - Personally don't have her yet, but the mass of guns is interesting.  How can you say no to 152mm x15?

Cleveland - Much improved from her VI version, very reliable utility CL.  This is where the USN CL starts to have Radar, alongside CA counterpart VIII Baltimore.  Lots of differences from her old VI version but these 3 stand out.

1.  Outstanding consumables access, Radar (9km) + Defensive Fire + Hydro at the same time.

2.  Super fast turret traverse.  At Tier VI she had rusty turret rings.

3.  Super Stealth, 9.1km full stealth build to go with her 9.0km Radar.

She sets the stage for the later USN CLs.  This is also the first of the USN CLs that I like to describe as the ones that affect the match outside of Damage.

Seattle - Skipped her.  I had the XPs on Cleveland to research her but FreeXP'd the rest of the way to Worcester.  I have no personal experience nor even assessment of her.  I've seen her a few times as opposing ships but not enough to formulate an opinion on them.

Worcester - Fun and effective ship but still requires USN CL play.  Key characteristics.

1.   Very fast firing 152mm guns.  People have said Worcester is more annoying than Minotaur will ever be.  You can angle and go bow on against Minotaur's RN CL AP and mitigate most of the damage.  Not so with a constant stream of Worcester shells.  Both Minotaur & Worcester make someone pay for being out of position, but Worcester is worse due to the HE.

2.  Stealthy

3.  Outstanding consumables access.  Radar + Defensive Fire + Hydro + Repair Party

4.  Stupidly powerful AA that can easily reach out to 8.6km.  Minotaur, Neptune can reach out as far with some very lethal AA also, but they don't have Defensive Fire.  Worcester does.

5.  SQUISHY

People have likened her to a Tier X Super Atlanta, minus torps of course.  That sounds great but it also means Atlanta's reputation to get popped real easy.

25mm is the best armor these USN CLs will ever get and they can be vulnerable if put in a bad spot.  The USN & German CAs at VIII-X at the very least have 27mm bows to defeat 380mm or smaller AP (yes, that means Kronshtadt's AP get bounced by them).  You don't get that luxury with these CLs.  What you get is unrivaled consumables access and stealth.  The guns are poor for "Big Alpha Damage to Kill Someone RIGHT NAU."  But if you play right, the damage can rack up.

There was a match last night that still sticks to my mind.  I was playing Conqueror.  There was a Worcester working with his team that I was trying to wreck.  He was constantly at 13-14km.  Normally for me with Conqueror that is super-easy to wreck a Cruiser at that range.  But Worcester was smart.  He worked with others, sailed to and fro these series of tall islands that immediately broke LOS (went dark) when I was about ready to shoot at her.  With some other ships nearby I couldn't easily focus to get Conqueror without letting other ships keep pouring fire on me.  So the end result was Worcester landing lots of shells on me, setting fires, stressing my DCP and Repair Party, on top of the incoming shells from others.  The position was untenable for me.

You have to play it smart with these USN CLs.  The enemy firepower out there is deadly, accurate, and if given the chance will put you down quickly as you climb higher in the tiers.  The BBs in particular will really pulverize you if given a brief chance.  Now, that's a concern that most other Cruisers have to deal with, however.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
4,848 battles

Seattle is a paywall, avoid.