You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LupusMalum

Could someone explain how I am getting strafed when I strafe out of a combat.

8 comments in this topic

[HSSW]
Members
301 posts
14,266 battles

Could someone explain how I am getting strafed when I strafe out of a combat? Also, could someone also explain how I am not able to kill more planes when I strafe his torp planes?  I have added my replay to this post. Thank you in advance.

20180705_211525_PJSA017-Hakuryu-1942_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

[STW-M]
Members
2,962 posts
7,014 battles

When two fighter squadrons are dogfighting and one of them strafes out, it is possible for the squadron that did not strafe out (i.e. the one that's normally frozen) to strafe the fighter squadron strafing out via the following method:

1. Click in the direction of the fighter squadron that's strafing out ONCE: this will unfreeze the fighter squadron.
  2. Strafe normally in the direction of the fighter squadron that strafed out.

I'll review the strafes when I finish watching the replay.

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,962 posts
7,014 battles

@LupusMalum, the replay seems stuck in the mini-map view. Perhaps that's just my computer, but this is what I'm seeing.

If you are not playing in this perspective, then I apologize, but I cannot critique your strafes very much.

If you are, in fact, playing in this view, please realize that playing in the mini-map mode (ie where you can't see the specific ship shapes and such) is FAR from the ideal. I don't see how anyone could strafe or attack well like that.

In addition, apart from running 4-2-2 Hakuryu (which is worse than 3-3-2, not to mention it seems that the enemy Midway ran riot over your planes despite having fewer and inferior fighters), you picked rather poor targets to attack, namely a Seattle and a Minotaur.

Since I could not see your strafes very well, I'll just go ahead and provide the following information about strafes:

• The amount of damage a strafe does increases with how long a target is in the strafing zone: thus, rear strafes do more damage than frontal or side strafes
  • The strafing box is sometimes deceptive: you ideally have to draw a line between your target and your fighter's exact location to guarantee plane kills, but usually there is a pretty decent margin of error
  • RNG plays a role: sometimes you can get 4-5, sometimes only 1-2
  • if you strafe too late, you may see the enemy planes pass by your fighter unharmed

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,632 posts
15,896 battles

This may currently be the most broken mechanic in the game.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,493 posts
5,986 battles

Strafing depends on the angle of attack. Headon strafes do the least damage while rear strafes do the most.

IJN fighters do not deal as much strafing damage as USN fighters do.

People have figured out that all you need to do to escape the strafe-lock stun is to click once to move the squadron.

• Cool 1

[HSSW]
Members
301 posts
14,266 battles
58 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Strafing depends on the angle of attack. Headon strafes do the least damage while rear strafes do the most.

IJN fighters do not deal as much strafing damage as USN fighters do.

People have figured out that all you need to do to escape the strafe-lock stun is to click once to move the squadron.

does it matter where you click

[LHG]
Members
1,493 posts
5,986 battles
1 hour ago, LupusMalum said:

does it matter where you click

No, but usually you're trying to follow the strafe-out so you click in the same direction the enemy squadron is going in. Here's a good video from farazelleth showing this in action:

Spoiler

• Cool 1