You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

13 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,961 posts
7,014 battles

Arizona has allowed me to make this post under the condition that I:

1. Take double the number of shovels to the head for one week
  2. Willingly volunteer as target practice for my battleships, including Arizona and Iowa (who is fairly salty after having done >100k average damage over 3 defeats today)
  3. Double her doughnut allowance if I mention anything specific she may have...picked up...from the lady in question (which I won't, thank you very much; my silver count is already low enough as it is)

Main source here: http://www.strategypage.com/cic/docs/cic133b.asp

In the early months of 1924, the USN held Fleet Problems IV in the Caribbean before engaging in further exercises off Culebra and finally dissolving into its component fleets in early April. However, in between these two series of war games, they made several port calls along the East Coast.

On the night of March 4, some of USS Arizona's (BB-39) sailors met and conducted business with Madeline Blair, a 19-year old hooker nicknamed "Blackie". During their time together, Ms. Blair revealed that she wanted to go to Hollywood and become a star, but didn't exactly have the money for it. Eventually, she and the sailors conspired to smuggle her aboard Arizona, for a free ride to California.

In order to accomplish this, Blackie cut her hair short and the sailors obtained an appropriate uniform and pea coat for her. Amidst a group of seemingly drunk sailors, with her naval clothes on, hat held firmly over her head, and a liberty card in hand, she easily boarded the liberty boat and boarded Arizona.

During the trip, the sailors provided a generator compartment for her, and some of the ship's cooks gave her meals for $10 a day, which was rather expensive considering an average sailor's pay back then was only $21 per month. However, Blackie also conducted business of her own, sometimes at $3 per "trick". As they reached warmer climates, she also took nightly strolls on deck and even attended the the nightly movies during port calls.

During one of these movie showings, one sailor, apparently unaware of her identity, checked Blackie's breast pocket for some matches to light a cigarette, but obviously instead discovered Ms. Blair's breast. Startled, he fled, but evidently kept his mouth shut and Blackie's secret safe. In addition, at least one other sailor informed the officers of Blackie's presence, but the notion seemed so absurd that it was ignored.

Finally, at dawn on April 12, as the fleet was preparing to depart from Balboa, Panama for the west coast later that day, Ms. Blair took a longer-than-usual nightly stroll, and stopped for a drink at a water fountain. A chief radioman waiting for his turn at the fountain looked at her, discovered her gender, and promptly reported it to the officer on the deck.

A search was ordered, and Blackie was apprehended. She proved quite feisty under questioning: not only did she not reveal any of her cohorts, but also falsely claimed that there were other women aboard. Her claim caused an even more thorough search that not even Admiral Pratt's quarters was safe from. She was eventually turned over to the local authorities but soon released after Arizona and the fleet departed; evidently, they weren't quite sure as to what to do with her.

The entire affair resulted in the following punishments handed down to the crew of Arizona:

• 23 men convicted by court-martial and sentenced, some for as long as 10 years imprisonment
  • Admiral Henry A. Wiley, Commander of the Battle Fleet’s battleships, issued a letter of reprimand to every officer in the ship

Thankfully, Admiral Pratt, who was the division commander, eventually cleared the files for all the officers when he became Chief of Naval Operations in 1930. Unfortunately, because the enlisted men had been convicted via court-martial and thus required a presidential pardon (not likely to come from Herbert Hoover), he couldn't do anything for them. Among the officers whose records were cleared was Ensign Arleigh Burke, whose only negative entry in his records was this affair.

The sailor who blew the lid on the affair was rumored to have carried a gun for the rest of his life due to death threats from the other crew members, but unfortunately I couldn't find any more information regarding the entire thing

As for Madeleine Blair (apparently Madeline was adopted simply for professional reasons), she eventually returned to New York via a first-class ticket aboard a Grace Liner ship, and sent the bill to the Navy Department, which directed it to Admiral Wiley, Commander in Chief of the United States Fleet (CINCUS). She eventually became a highly respected madam, a champion of woman's rights, and even wrote an autobiography, which you can read here: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/madeleine/madeleine/madeleine.html

Here's a newspaper clipping regarding the entire thing:

d07182dffa7862602d855b27c3ca6efe--uss-ar

Now, if you'll excuse me—

Efouv0a.jpg

I thought shovel beatings came after target practice?

No? 

...Well then.

CLANG

e91a3dcf-c15a-441a-b369-996922364cdc-pro

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 5

Members
249 posts
2,518 battles
36 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

During one of these movie showings, one sailor, apparently unaware of her identity, checked Blackie's breast pocket for some matches to light a cigarette, but obviously instead discovered Ms. Blairs' breast. Startled, he fled, but evidently kept his mouth shut and Blackie's secret safe.

Sounds like something straight from a harem anime.

[STW-M]
Members
2,961 posts
7,014 battles
2 hours ago, TwoOfFour said:

Sounds like something straight from a harem anime.

Apparently, it was the most action Arizona got (apart from starring in a movie at one point) before Pearl Harbor.

[NNG]
Members
1,664 posts
2,789 battles

Some men were thrown in prison for 10 years . . .

Did she get away with it . . . and have the Navy pay for a first-class ticket on an ocean liner. It is pretty easy to dislike this woman. 

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
2 hours ago, Edselman said:

Some men were thrown in prison for 10 years . . .

Did she get away with it . . . and have the Navy pay for a first-class ticket on an ocean liner. It is pretty easy to dislike this woman. 

It seems to me that the sentences were overly harsh. However, military life used to be pretty harsh. Even into WWI (and later, for non-Western countries), some countries handed down arbitrary executions for minor infractions, or none at all, just to keep the troops "in line." 

[VW]
Members
2,445 posts
14,314 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

It seems to me that the sentences were overly harsh. However, military life used to be pretty harsh. Even into WWI (and later, for non-Western countries), some countries handed down arbitrary executions for minor infractions, or none at all, just to keep the troops "in line." 

not sure what you mean. pretty sure that's fake news...

image.png.7e57ee2552bd01fb043a67d8e4f71296.png

[STW-M]
Members
2,961 posts
7,014 battles
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

not sure what you mean. pretty sure that's fake news...

image.png.7e57ee2552bd01fb043a67d8e4f71296.png

Of course, sometimes there are just outright injustices followed by a military's attempts to cover them up.

090928_r18848_p646.jpg

[VW]
Members
2,445 posts
14,314 battles
Just now, Avenge_December_7 said:

Of course, sometimes there are just outright injustices followed by a military's attempts to cover them up.

090928_r18848_p646.jpg

coverup? nah...

image.thumb.png.cbd0fdd4c15ccc9adbd86de673338760.pngimage.png.ad1dee8fed37b9ddbbb35c2f5ac1f211.png

[WOLF9]
Members
8,821 posts
4,180 battles
On 7/5/2018 at 8:42 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Now, if you'll excuse me—

I'll be in my bunk.

• Funny 1