You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dbw86

MIS LEADING & UNCLEAR ADVERTISING ONCE AGAIN

37 comments in this topic

[-V1-]
Members
343 posts
6,184 battles

The July Briefing stated that Camouflages would be on sale at -40% discount "FOR CAMOUFLAGES"!    Yet when I checked I was told that Permanent Camouflages were not included.  But the add did not say that permanent Camouflages were not included.   Permanent is a sub defining term under the main category of Camouflage.   I have no problem with Permanent Camouflages being excluded BUT that is not what the Briefing said!   So I believe WoW's should honor the add as printed and work to more clearly state what is included and what is not included in the future.    This is not the first time things have not been clearly stated in sales announced in the Monthly Briefings.   I am confident any attorney after reading this add would feel he had a slam dunk case and a judge would find in his favor without even holding a trial.   

I truly don't mean this as [edited]!   Instead, I offer it as an effort to help clarify adds so there are not any questions as to what is covered and what is not.   Am I the only one out here who has seen things like this?   Shouldn't it be crystal clear what is being sold for what prices?

Here was the add.

July 2 – 9. The Fourth of July

The day of the adoption of the US Declaration of Independence in 1776 is considered the birthday of the United States as a free and independent country. This day is a national holiday in the USA. During the celebration week, discounts will be available in the game, as well as a series of missions offering camouflages as a reward. Complete the whole series and get the final reward—permanent camouflage for cruiser Baltimore! Happy Holidays!

Discounts and bonuses:

• +200% to XP for the first victory of the day;
  • 50% credit discount for USA researchable Tier II–V cruisers and battleships;
  • 30% credit discount for USA researchable Tier VI–VII cruisers and battleships;
  • 15% credit discount for USA researchable Tier VIII–X cruisers and battleships;
  • 50% doubloon discount for Port Slots;
  • 60% credit and doubloon discount for consumables;
  • 40% credit and doubloon discount for camouflage;
  • 40% credit discount for demounting an upgrade;
  • 25 35 Free XP per 1 doubloon when converting XP into Free XP.

Take note of the 3rd line from the bottom - nothing excluding permanent camouflages from the sale!

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles

Sales involving Perma-Camo are exceedingly rare in this game.  We had one not too long ago but it was very short.  It was also the first time since I can remember joining this game in Open Beta that there has been a Perma-Camo sale.  Maybe there's been one or two more in the past?  Can't recall.

In short, if something says sale to camo, don't bet on it applying to Perma-Camo.

Hell, if anything, there are Perma-Camo that are being put out that are almost double the cost typical for their tier.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
4,236 posts
10,903 battles

I too am getting sick of ambiguous wording and a failure to properly proofread translations. 

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,310 posts
20,171 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sales involving Perma-Camo are exceedingly rare in this game.  We had one not too long ago but it was very short.  It was also the first time since I can remember joining this game in Open Beta that there has been a Perma-Camo sale.  Maybe there's been one or two more in the past?  Can't recall.

I have been playing two years and the only perma camo sale I have seen is that one a few months ago(?). I wish they would add them to the Arsenal so you could get them for coal since there isn't anything there of any interest to me. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLFC]
Members
120 posts
6,573 battles
31 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

The July Briefing stated that Camouflages would be on sale at -40% discount "FOR CAMOUFLAGES"!    Yet when I checked I was told that Permanent Camouflages were not included.

I was under the impression that they were just that, separate. Permanent Camo referred to Permanent Camo, and Camouflages were the non permanent ones you could buy with credits or doubloons. So not misleading at all in my book.

Edited by JBR40
  • Cool 3

[LOU1]
Members
3,560 posts
9,429 battles

I actually never thought it included permanent camo.  I specifically checked and was saddened to see it only said camouflages :Smile_sad:

Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

Here in lies the problem....  If they say "Camos sale except Premium"  People will and have with other things the really important part - "except".  People WILL get bent out of shape about premium no on sale.  But if they note what IS on sale - camos - then people will jump on them because they expect premium to be included.  No win situation - they noted what was on sale.  They make a LOT of money from premium camos so if they are not mentioned - they aren't on sale.

[WOLF8]
Members
375 posts
7,155 battles

Walmart said that milk would be on sale.  Well, I only drink strawberry soy milk.  It wasn’t on sale.  I’ve been damaged.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[HINON]
Members
10,658 posts

If a department store had a banner ad that says "Clothing Sale," does that mean all clothes are marked down? 

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
1 hour ago, dbw86 said:

40% credit and doubloon discount for camouflage;

The dubloon part could easily mislead people into thinking that perma camo was available on discount too though. The wording is poor.

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

If a department store had a banner ad that says "Clothing Sale," does that mean all clothes are marked down? 

If retail screws up and they get the wrong price on something misleading they have to sell it to you at that price at least in Canada, not sure about the states.

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
8,992 battles
5 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

If retail screws up and they get the wrong price on something misleading they have to sell it to you at that price at least in Canada, not sure about the states.

Thats true mostly in the US also, but since they did not put the wrong price on any item, it is totally irrelevant.  The fact that you don’t like what it does say does not make it misleading.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
3 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

Thats true mostly in the US also, but since they did not put the wrong price on any item, it is totally irrelevant.  The fact that you don’t like what it does say does not make it misleading.

Sure once or twice, typos happen and so does bad grammar. The thing is WG does this kind of crap often so while its not something that anything can be done about it legally, it does further diminish the reputation of the company when there's constant shenanigans.

Edited by xalmgrey

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I too am getting sick of ambiguous wording and a failure to properly proofread translations. 

Or just straight-up bad information. You'd think after Murmanskgate they'd have learned a thing or two.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles

Most advertising, the whole world over, is misleading in general. A big mac on a TV commercial is or looks bigger than it does
when eye balling the same product after ordering and un wrapping it. Yes even at McDonald I feel deceived and then buyers
remorse sets, in after I have eaten said product.  :Smile_ohmy:

[LEGIT]
Members
1,670 posts
24,443 battles

Well, maybe they didn't want to confuse "permanent" with "here to stay" (WG trademark meaning).  Not exactly synonyms in WG land.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
2 hours ago, dbw86 said:

The July Briefing stated that Camouflages would be on sale at -40% discount "FOR CAMOUFLAGES"!    Yet when I checked I was told that Permanent Camouflages were not included.  But the add did not say that permanent Camouflages were not included.   Permanent is a sub defining term under the main category of Camouflage.   I have no problem with Permanent Camouflages being excluded BUT that is not what the Briefing said!   So I believe WoW's should honor the add as printed and work to more clearly state what is included and what is not included in the future.    This is not the first time things have not been clearly stated in sales announced in the Monthly Briefings.   I am confident any attorney after reading this add would feel he had a slam dunk case and a judge would find in his favor without even holding a trial.   

I truly don't mean this as [edited]!   Instead, I offer it as an effort to help clarify adds so there are not any questions as to what is covered and what is not.   Am I the only one out here who has seen things like this?   Shouldn't it be crystal clear what is being sold for what prices?

Here was the add.

July 2 – 9. The Fourth of July

The day of the adoption of the US Declaration of Independence in 1776 is considered the birthday of the United States as a free and independent country. This day is a national holiday in the USA. During the celebration week, discounts will be available in the game, as well as a series of missions offering camouflages as a reward. Complete the whole series and get the final reward—permanent camouflage for cruiser Baltimore! Happy Holidays!

Discounts and bonuses:

• +200% to XP for the first victory of the day;
  • 50% credit discount for USA researchable Tier II–V cruisers and battleships;
  • 30% credit discount for USA researchable Tier VI–VII cruisers and battleships;
  • 15% credit discount for USA researchable Tier VIII–X cruisers and battleships;
  • 50% doubloon discount for Port Slots;
  • 60% credit and doubloon discount for consumables;
  • 40% credit and doubloon discount for camouflage;
  • 40% credit discount for demounting an upgrade;
  • 25 35 Free XP per 1 doubloon when converting XP into Free XP.

Take note of the 3rd line from the bottom - nothing excluding permanent camouflages from the sale!

image.png.b7da8aa0b5bcaaa5e0d6298e026f3149.png

[NMKJT]
Members
3,597 posts

Anytime something premium goes on sale, they call it out. I don't see this as deceptive at all, especially as there was no bait and switch involved which you would expect in deceptive advertising.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,003 posts
14,089 battles

Mmm, they did lazy out on the wording there. Their fault, but probably nothing will come of this complaint.

[-TKS-]
Members
490 posts
8,166 battles

im not going to lie , I believed it included perma camo . But don't think they should honor it. what did we lose besides the belief that they would be on sale. maybe if someone bought some gold in preparation then you might have a inkling of a case but then you should have waited .  it is what it is im no looking for a way to beat the system. 

Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Most advertising, the whole world over, is misleading in general. A big mac on a TV commercial is or looks bigger than it does
when eye balling the same product after ordering and un wrapping it. Yes even at McDonald I feel deceived and then buyers
remorse sets, in after I have eaten said product. 

A big mac on TV looks like food. This is misleading.

• Funny 2

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have been playing two years and the only perma camo sale I have seen is that one a few months ago(?). I wish they would add them to the Arsenal so you could get them for coal since there isn't anything there of any interest to me. 

Yeah, that one that came out not long after the Space Battles update was out.  Prior to that, I cannot remember a time Perma-Camo was on sale.

3 hours ago, TabbyHopkins said:

Nothing says it included Perm Camo's either.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/4th-of-july/

"40% credit and doubloon discount for camouflage"

Perma-Camo costs doubloons.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,605 battles
2 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Or just straight-up bad information. You'd think after Murmanskgate they'd have learned a thing or two.

That was forever ago. There any employees from back then still around?