You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

CV Revamp

14 comments in this topic

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Ive heard WG is going to revamp how CV's are played in the game. This question is more directed at the more experienced players. Does anyone have any ideas how they will handle this? Will they take away the CV's for awhile or just come out with an update and suddenly everything changes in how they play. Im trying to figure out if i should keep playing my CV's or set them aside. 

If they are going to completely revamp how they are played (into some form of non RTS as they are now) then it doesnt seem reasonable to continue learning how to play them only to have to completly relearn it after a later date. 

I would love to see CV's stay in the game in some form. They were major influences in WWII. 

[ARP2]
Members
1,364 posts
3,637 battles

Only the community contributors and wargaming itself know at the moment what the CV revamp will look like. If it helps, the CV playing Community contributors don't like it.

Edited by Hatework
  • Cool 1

Members
433 posts

I don't want a revamp of how they play, I want a revamp of how they're balanced vs each other. The gameplay isn't the problem. Carriers are the most powerful and important ships and should be complex to play.

But they should also be balanced vs each other with roughly equal loadouts, because we all see how it doesn't work without that.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

War Gaming hasn't listened a lick thus far on CVs, and the feedback we've gotten says that they don't play them either. So it's frustrating to sit here and wait for any sort of tid bit on what changes are actually being made. This history we have to go on so far:

• Initial USN vs IJN CV imbalance - Still not fixed!
  • Initial shuffling of Saipan in USN tree to Premium, and adding Bogue which caused more issues than it solved.
  • Removing USN TB groups, and then adding the same 2 x 6 TB groups to the Kaga with a better drop pattern and acting like that wouldn't be over powered cause it was IJN.
  • USN Dive Bomber issues, still unaddressed 3 years running.
  • AP bombs - Power vs Inconsistency
  • Enterprise - Balanced with less planes per squad than Kaga, and worse torpedo drop pattern. Still strong cause Lexington. L o L wut.
  • Graf Zepplin debacle
  • Graf Zepplin debacle take 2, now with super AP, and not affected by DF. WUT.
  • USN CV redo - Make Midway better for 2 months, then nerf and buff Hak, and make every other USN CV worse. Ignore the fact that greater imbalance is a huge problem for Tiers 4-9 between IJN and USN CVs. Design makes IJN take air load outs slightly more often with no ability to counter from the USN CVs.

Hope level 0/10.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
57 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Only the community contributors and wargaming itself know at the moment what the CV revamp will look like. If it helps, the CV playing Community contributors don't like it.

The CC's and the Super Testers are very limited in what they can say because of the NDA but what has come out implies that current CV players won't be happy and that non-CV players will like them.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
256 posts
6,639 battles

What is going on is the "rework" is a complete overhaul of how CVs work, and despite propaganda otherwise, the driving force isn't balance (although they do want the new version to be balanced), but instead it is being driven by the game's expansion into console. The current version of CV play doesn't work with console controls.

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
41 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

War Gaming hasn't listened a lick thus far on CVs, and the feedback we've gotten says that they don't play them either. So it's frustrating to sit here and wait for any sort of tid bit on what changes are actually being made. This history we have to go on so far:

• Initial shuffling of Saipan in USN tree to Premium, and adding Bogue which caused more issues than it solved.
  • Removing USN TB groups, and then adding the same 2 x 6 TB groups to the Kaga with a better drop pattern and acting like that wouldn't be over powered cause it was IJN.
  • Enterprise - Balanced with less planes per squad than Kaga, and worse torpedo drop pattern. Still strong cause Lexington. L o L wut.
  • Graf Zepplin debacle
  • USN CV redo - Make Midway better for 2 months, then nerf and buff Hak, and make every other USN CV worse. Ignore the fact that greater imbalance is a huge problem for Tiers 4-9 between IJN and USN CVs. Design makes IJN take air load outs slightly more often with no ability to counter from the USN CVs.

Hope level 0/10.

Very informative thank you. I watched a. You tube video by Notser. I've not played a ton of CV battles T4 IJN and T6 USN respectivly. But it always amazed me how there seemed no consistency from battle to battle. Rarely were they even balanced. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
6 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

What is going on is the "rework" is a complete overhaul of how CVs work, and despite propaganda otherwise, the driving force isn't balance (although they do want the new version to be balanced), but instead it is being driven by the game's expansion into console. The current version of CV play doesn't work with console controls.

The current version of CV play doesn't work all that well either with an EVE like learning curve, cough, cough cliff that only those that are really good at Real Time Strategy games are able to excel at.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The current version of CV play doesn't work all that well either with an EVE like learning curve, cough, cough cliff that only those that are really good at Real Time Strategy games are able to excel at.

Here is a visual to go with what you are saying Brush.

4296300207_863ccaa334.jpg

• Funny 3

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
18 hours ago, Sped_Gax said:

ve heard WG is going to revamp how CV's are played in the game. This question is more directed at the more experienced players. Does anyone have any ideas how they will handle this? Will they take away the CV's for awhile or just come out with an update and suddenly everything changes in how they play. Im trying to figure out if i should keep playing my CV's or set them aside. 

If they are going to completely revamp how they are played (into some form of non RTS as they are now) then it doesnt seem reasonable to continue learning how to play them only to have to completly relearn it after a later date. 

I would love to see CV's stay in the game in some form. They were major influences in WWII. 

There is a video waterline 1.1 which gives a small bit of info about the rewok unless they have changed the rework since that video, captain skills will change for CV as for any info outside of that like people have said CC and WG know but can't tell us. In the video they tell us it's going from a RTS to a action type game play.

As for learning to play them to me it's worth it there will be a lot that will change but there will be a lot of info that i think you can use with the rework like how to handle AA, DF, placement of your CV and which targets to go for first, so it's kinda a personal choice no one knows when the rework will happen could be this year or next year if it's next year you still have 6 months at least to enjoy them like they are.

My guess is once it's ready it will get tested on the PTS then once that's done and the update drops the new CVs will be in play, if they were going to remove them till rework was done they probably would off by now with all the crapthey get from people about CVs but that's just my view. 

Members
3 posts
4,360 battles

Hello, I have great interest in this topic since I was thinking about opening this topic, but it already exists and I have a few ideas:

LAND REINFORCEMENTS

-CVs should be able to call land reinforcements:
   A) let's say a map can have 100 extra planes in an outside airport, the planes will simply fly in the map at the closest poit of the cv (has a reason for this, for the thrills of pushing with the cv)
   B) if there are 2 cv on the team, they will split the 100 extra planes
   C) the planes from reinforcements are from the same techtree of the cv, but they will be from the cv of the highest tier in the team, so if a CV is T6 and there is a T8 bb in the team, the planes from land will come from the T8 cv from the same techtree as the cv player

This reinforcement mechanic will allow massive strikes just like in WW2, also AAs are too powerful nowadays with their consumables and skills, this will also "fix" those matches of having the CV in the lowest tier of the match. It could be a consumable Reinforcement x2 where it brings as much squads as there is space in the keyboard.

The reinforcements would have to refuel outside the map, they will not be allowed to land on the cv (or should they be allowed if the cv got its planes wipped out?)

This will also bring the oportunity for the players to stick together for greater AA fire, when this happens in operations it feels so good, it's so rewarding.
If Wargaming do just this, will be STUNNINGLY AWESOME! I am sure people are not ready for this, but they will play along I am sure of that too.

TACTICAL SPOTTER (A NEW KIND OF AIRCRAFT)

This would be a consumable which detects and boost precision of allied ships firing the targets that are withing rage of the spotter aircraft. You know just like IRL a spotter plane can confirm positions, target acquisition and hits.

COMMAND CENTER:

Carriers are mobile command centers, but I don't see this happening in WoWs, this consumable should show all waypoints of all allied ships, so the entire team have a good clear idea of what everybody is doing.

Also show all ships that are being targeted and how many, just like the Priority Target skill, but to all allied ships and/or enemy ships.

A bit of an overkill? I don't think so, every CV should have 2 charges of this consumable. It's not my problem how Wargaming would dev this :)

Since the map in WoW is a JOKE, we can't  see the distance and time to each waypoint, we should at least see where each ally is going and know how many allied ships are aiming at each enemy (since coordinated attacks are a real thing and that is one reason to have a command center).

FULL ALERT:

Carriers are so damn tall and have so much people they should easily spot torpedos and anything else, at least give them a boost for every type of spotting there is, or at least a consumable for this.

STORAGE WORKS:

If two carrers stay near each other they should be able to slowly regain their lost planes, this is a real thing irl, every carrier has it's out of comission planes within their bellies, but they can make them serviceable again. The works within the carrier's storage is a thing and I don't think Wargaming will have a problem creating at least this.

I have no idea what people think of my ideas, but i really cant these get off my mind for some time already.

If someone from WG reads this and delivers this to one of their office meetings I am already happy, even if nothing os these or alike are implemented.

Members
44 posts
4,336 battles
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Madwolf05 said:

• Graf Zepplin debacle

Hope level 0/10.

Not hard to say they don't listen when their own NA Community manager has just barely over 100 battles played. No confidence in how they will change CVs.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,012 posts
6,255 battles
21 minutes ago, Marid0 said:

Hello, I have great interest in this topic since I was thinking about opening this topic, but it already exists and I have a few ideas:

LAND REINFORCEMENTS

-CVs should be able to call land reinforcements:
   A) let's say a map can have 100 extra planes in an outside airport, the planes will simply fly in the map at the closest poit of the cv (has a reason for this, for the thrills of pushing with the cv)
   B) if there are 2 cv on the team, they will split the 100 extra planes
   C) the planes from reinforcements are from the same techtree of the cv, but they will be from the cv of the highest tier in the team, so if a CV is T6 and there is a T8 bb in the team, the planes from land will come from the T8 cv from the same techtree as the cv player

This reinforcement mechanic will allow massive strikes just like in WW2, also AAs are too powerful nowadays with their consumables and skills, this will also "fix" those matches of having the CV in the lowest tier of the match. It could be a consumable Reinforcement x2 where it brings as much squads as there is space in the keyboard.

The reinforcements would have to refuel outside the map, they will not be allowed to land on the cv (or should they be allowed if the cv got its planes wipped out?)

This will also bring the oportunity for the players to stick together for greater AA fire, when this happens in operations it feels so good, it's so rewarding.
If Wargaming do just this, will be STUNNINGLY AWESOME! I am sure people are not ready for this, but they will play along I am sure of that too.

TACTICAL SPOTTER (A NEW KIND OF AIRCRAFT)

This would be a consumable which detects and boost precision of allied ships firing the targets that are withing rage of the spotter aircraft. You know just like IRL a spotter plane can confirm positions, target acquisition and hits.

COMMAND CENTER:

Carriers are mobile command centers, but I don't see this happening in WoWs, this consumable should show all waypoints of all allied ships, so the entire team have a good clear idea of what everybody is doing.

Also show all ships that are being targeted and how many, just like the Priority Target skill, but to all allied ships and/or enemy ships.

A bit of an overkill? I don't think so, every CV should have 2 charges of this consumable. It's not my problem how Wargaming would dev this :)

Since the map in WoW is a JOKE, we can't  see the distance and time to each waypoint, we should at least see where each ally is going and know how many allied ships are aiming at each enemy (since coordinated attacks are a real thing and that is one reason to have a command center).

FULL ALERT:

Carriers are so damn tall and have so much people they should easily spot torpedos and anything else, at least give them a boost for every type of spotting there is, or at least a consumable for this.

STORAGE WORKS:

If two carrers stay near each other they should be able to slowly regain their lost planes, this is a real thing irl, every carrier has it's out of comission planes within their bellies, but they can make them serviceable again. The works within the carrier's storage is a thing and I don't think Wargaming will have a problem creating at least this.

I have no idea what people think of my ideas, but i really cant these get off my mind for some time already.

If someone from WG reads this and delivers this to one of their office meetings I am already happy, even if nothing os these or alike are implemented.

Wrong game