You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Throwdown Thursday - Against All Odds

19 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,247 posts
7,100 battles

Image result for world of warships vampire fight

How do you play against higher tiered vessels?

I often find myself bottom tiered in matches but try to utilize the strengths of my ship and mitigate the risks as much as possible.

Also, I try to utilize concealment as much as possible as well as employing ambush tactics to try and catch the superior target off-balance whenever I can.

What's your plan and strategy when going up against a more advanced foe?

“Never fear your enemy but always respect them.” - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#throwdownthursday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,024 posts
6,255 battles

Take my time, support my allies, wait for the enemy to expose themselves or make them expose themselves my exposing yourself for 20 seconds.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
804 posts
4,640 battles
3 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Image result for world of warships vampire fight

How do you play against higher tiered vessels?

I often find myself bottom tiered in matches but try to utilize the strengths of my ship and mitigate the risks as much as possible.

Also, I try to utilize concealment as much as possible as well as employing ambush tactics to try and catch the superior target off-balance whenever I can.

What's your plan and strategy when going up against a more advanced foe?

“Never fear your enemy but always respect them.” - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#throwdownthursday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

Honestly, possible too often when playing my tier 8s.

Basically retired my tier 8 ships now, as it just leads to frustration and makes me not want to play. :(

I'm fine playing against higher tier ships, but it's not fun to always play against higher tier ships.
But it really depends on the ship I'm in.

Normally I just try to kite them and make them push into me, giving me a strong advantage, but it depends on my ship and the current situation too much :p

However the CV main in me just says: "Look for an isolated target, get him to flood then go burn him down" :p

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,521 posts
13,924 battles

Try not to be the most obvious / easiest / first target. Let bigger teammates take the fire and support them.

• Cool 6

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,260 battles
14 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Take my time, support my allies, wait for the enemy to expose themselves or make them expose themselves my exposing yourself for 20 seconds.

This^^
2iQy78d.gif

Edited by Gerbertz
  • Cool 1

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,598 posts
8,311 battles

^^^ What the cat said.

In general, I try not to be too aggressive, and let the higher tier teammates deal damage before moving in.

It depends a bit on the uptier, though... T5s up against T7s hurts a little bit more than T6s against T8s. 

I also, hide more than usual when low tier.  Even if that means hiding behind team mates.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,643 posts
18 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Only play T10 ships.

JK, I play all tiers.

:Smile_great::Smile_medal:

16 minutes ago, Lert said:

Try not to be the most obvious / easiest / first target. Let bigger teammates take the fire and support them.

:Smile_great::Smile_medal:The Winnahs:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,286 posts
10,916 battles

This even applies when you are top tier. Patience, patience, and more patience followed by positioning, positioning, and more positioning. Make yourself a poor target for the enemy.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,771 posts
4,647 battles

Well, the most common way people deal with being uptiered, is by whining about it on the forums...

I on the other hand, do a quick look for which ships will give me the most trouble. Since I play destroyer mostly, that means looking at which ships of the opponents are capable of mounting radar. I do this, even when not uptiered too. I also look at which ships on my team are able to mount radar. Certain ships, like minotaur, I expect to have smoke, but they could easily be the exception, and have radar, so careful, yet slightly more aggressive against minotaur.

Play to the ship's strengths, expose as little weakness as possible. Sometimes, reveal a weakness, to purposefully get the enemy firing at you instead of your teammates.

The best instance of this kind of play, is from a replay from 0.7.5 so it is old. But I was in the Harekaze, and despite a Missouri and Des Moines near A-Cap, I and a couple other players pestered the enemy. I took the cap, dodged incoming fire, and then continued pestering, guaranteeing that the enemy would have to kill me before they took the cap. Sure enough, they took the cap after I died, but it was already too late, the rest of the team was working hard, and we came out victorious. I'll share the link to the thread that has the replay, at a later time... currently not on my computer, and don't have time to go looking.

Edited by Counter_Gambit
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,286 posts
10,916 battles

The most important thing to do when you find yourself as bottom tier is to,

latest?cb=20120727071642

• Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
774 posts
6,704 battles

Patience. If you are T8 or T9 in T10, just be patient.

That's not be passive or hide, but don't rush caps, or open yourself up to early damage that hurts your late game play. 

With that patience learn to read the mini-map and position yourself accordingly on a push or flank defence.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,401 posts
13,567 battles

When I see that I am Bottom tier I jump up and do 20 push ups to get warmed up for the trials ahead.  The 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... I just swig a shot of whiskey each time. I never seem to miss my 8 shot limit, though.

Kidding, I just play as good as I can and I remind myself that 9 comes after 8.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles
17 hours ago, _greifer said:

Patience. If you are T8 or T9 in T10, just be patient.

That's not be passive or hide, but don't rush caps, or open yourself up to early damage that hurts your late game play. 

With that patience learn to read the mini-map and position yourself accordingly on a push or flank defence.

Yup. I play a lot more conservatively when uptiered, especially at T7/8 in a T8/10 match. 

But this problem could be easily solved if the server would move to a +/-1 tier spread at peak. There are enough players, and there is no excuse. If WG really fears there would be problems, they can give people two battle buttons, one for a two tier spread, and one for a one tier spread. Then people who like being fodder ships can do that, and those of us who want to play our port queens can. Win-win.

But that's too imaginative and rational for WG to implement. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,286 posts
10,916 battles
On 7/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, Taichunger said:

Yup. I play a lot more conservatively when uptiered, especially at T7/8 in a T8/10 match. 

But this problem could be easily solved if the server would move to a +/-1 tier spread at peak. There are enough players, and there is no excuse. If WG really fears there would be problems, they can give people two battle buttons, one for a two tier spread, and one for a one tier spread. Then people who like being fodder ships can do that, and those of us who want to play our port queens can. Win-win.

But that's too imaginative and rational for WG to implement. 

There will still be people whining about being bottom tier with +1-1. There will be a short period when they will be happy but when that doesn't magically make everything hunky dory in their eyes they will start complaining all over again. Being bottom tier is a mental issue and going in with an "I am doomed attitude" is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

As i mostly play T5 and below is rarely an issue. I just play to the strengths of my ship and the tactics needed for my team to win. Assist with fire support or grab caps when they are there for the taking. But early on im looking at survival so in the end game where numbers count im still able to contribute. When i am playing my T6's and T8 (Cleveland) i try to find cover or a bb who is not pushing early on and provide them AA support.

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,737 battles

Worse case scenario is a T7 ship against T9's. I hit the curse key twice and then figure out how to inflict damage without getting blapped.