Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

What was the purpose of "All Hands On Deck"?

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

551
[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,695 battles

Marketing ploy to get players back? Did WG fix issues that caused them to leave in the first place?  Or is it a research tool to see who many players can the servers hold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
694
[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Marketing ploy to get players back? Did WG fix issues that caused them to leave in the first place?  Or is it a research tool to see who many players can the servers hold?

Free stuff for the players, like a contest, it's a common event in games

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,093
[TBW]
Members
7,384 posts
13,562 battles

They wanted to give out some free signals and camo but not Super Containers. I think it was to get people to play during the Soccer matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,130
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,585 posts
15,896 battles
12 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Marketing ploy to get players back?

During the Soccer matches?

13 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Did WG fix issues that caused them to leave in the first place?

Surely you jest!

14 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Or is it a research tool to see who many players can the servers hold?

If it was it failed as the connection during the event was the worst and I experienced many disconnects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

During the Soccer matches?

Surely you jest!

If it was it failed as the connection during the event was the worst and I experienced many disconnects. 

Wargaming should credit everyone the Super Container. It is not our fault that Wargaming NA server could not handle 20k players online at the same time and making reaching the goal or registering the goal impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
328
[TDG]
Members
1,613 posts
7,825 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If it was it failed as the connection during the event was the worst and I experienced many disconnects. 

Actually, if it was tested to failure, I would argue that they now have that number.

They may also have additional data related to scalability that might actually improve things in time.

However, I think the real intent was to see the effects of the marketing related to this event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,560
[WOLF7]
Members
11,348 posts
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wargaming should credit everyone the Super Container. It is not our fault that Wargaming NA server could not handle 20k players online at the same time and making reaching the goal or registering the goal impossible.

Based on the flow of players during the night, it seemed clear that most players had no idea an event was on.

Numbers during prime time were their normally chaotic selves and we peaked at normal time. If players were really in the know, staying online 30 mins longer or logging in 30 mins early should have made a significant difference in population. My connection was quite stable and I had an alt logged in as well.. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
291
Members
350 posts
48 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Based on the flow of players during the night, it seemed clear that most players had no idea an event was on.

Numbers during prime time were their normally chaotic selves and we peaked at normal time. If players were really in the know, staying online 30 mins longer or logging in 30 mins early should have made a significant difference in population. My connection was quite stable and I had an alt logged in as well.. 

I agree. A lot of players never read the website or the forums and proof of that is all the people in game unaware that there was a patch when WG does one even though it has been talked about for a good period of time. So not understanding or being aware of the "All Hands on Deck" or how to claim the reward does not surprise me. I wish more folks would read the main page and the forums. 

Edited by Venac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,922
[ARGSY]
Members
10,148 posts
6,627 battles
55 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wargaming should credit everyone the Super Container. It is not our fault that Wargaming NA server could not handle 20k players online at the same time and making reaching the goal or registering the goal impossible.

You would first need to prove that twenty thousand people actually tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,130
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,585 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wargaming should credit everyone the Super Container. It is not our fault that Wargaming NA server could not handle 20k players online at the same time and making reaching the goal or registering the goal impossible.

Seriously, like every other game my computer would freeze, I'd have to go to Task Manager, stop the WoW process, and log back in. Must have been half a dozen games or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,725
[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
2 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Marketing ploy to get players back? Did WG fix issues that caused them to leave in the first place?  Or is it a research tool to see who many players can the servers hold?

If you were here on that day, you would know that the event actually engendered a lot of camaraderie in the community. I'm sure that from WG's standpoint it allowed them to test server stability under load. From my standpoint. as a player, I notices that with over 15k players online getting a match was almost instantaneous, which was nice. The treasure trove of loot was nice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
167
[SIMP]
Members
895 posts
8,914 battles

It was to prove to WG Cyprus that WoWS could pull in enough players to continue as an ongoing business and not get funding cut even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They wanted to give out some free signals and camo but not Super Containers. I think it was to get people to play during the Soccer matches.

I am going to do my favorite thing and drop a movie reference. Extra credit if you get it. If you are going through a losing streak do you run out and purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,093
[TBW]
Members
7,384 posts
13,562 battles
3 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I am going to do my favorite thing and drop a movie reference. Extra credit if you get it. If you are going through a losing streak do you run out and purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka?

Just don't do it during dog days. Now I just fish there, the only time I would purify myself is if I fall out of the boat. Swam in Libbs lake when I was a kid, which is on the eastern most part of the lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,829
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

My opinion is WG wanted to see how many Players NA has on any given day but needed a Peak Player Baseline to Justify a new Sever Service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,224
[YORHA]
Members
4,008 posts
6,970 battles

It seemed very much like a load test on a new server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
27 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Just don't do it during dog days. Now I just fish there, the only time I would purify myself is if I fall out of the boat. Swam in Libbs lake when I was a kid, which is on the eastern most part of the lake.

ROFLMAO......some of my movie references are not as obscure as I think they are. Hey can I come visit you in the middle of the winter. It has been a dream of mine to go ice fishing ever since I saw the movie Grumpy Old Men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[SOFOP]
Members
1 post
5,614 battles

I was about 8 when that movie came out...and even I knew that that was not lake minnetonka.  Course for that scene, at 8, I wasn't really concerned about the lake.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
396
[SOFOP]
Members
728 posts
6,700 battles
1 minute ago, broadsidebilly said:

I was about 8 when that movie came out...and even I knew that that was not lake minnetonka.  Course for that scene, at 8, I wasn't really concerned about the lake.  ?

That was me lol above.  Friend was logged in on my PC.  Heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
681
[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,155 battles

We could look at this as a lost chance at a SC, or take the free flags and camo that we did get and be happy with that. Getting nothing < Flags and Camo!

Edited by xalmgrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
482 posts
8,529 battles

To me it seemed like they wanted a high water mark to sell to advertisers that hey, we get this many eyes any and given moment in order to charge more for placing their adds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×