You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Silvin

How to update the game without P2P?

17 comments in this topic

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
188 posts
9,417 battles

My P2P traffic is now blocked and since the WGC uses libtorrent I cannot update the games. Is there a way to update the games without using P2P traffic?

Thanks!

[CAST]
Members
1,532 posts
7,987 battles

I think you can just download the install file directly from the WOWS website.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,772 posts
4,145 battles
51 minutes ago, Silvin said:

My P2P traffic is now blocked and since the WGC uses libtorrent I cannot update the games. Is there a way to update the games without using P2P traffic?

What moronic ISP blocks all P2P?

[AAA]
Members
498 posts
8,169 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Maybe at work or school :)

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
28 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

All of them after net neutrality repeal? Or at least severely throttled.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,534 posts
31,847 battles
1 hour ago, Murcc said:

I think you can just download the install file directly from the WOWS website.

I don't think WoWS has that feature.  I know WoT did.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,534 posts
31,847 battles

OP, I think your best bet would be to use a VPN connection for the WoWS updates.  I don't have much experience with the free VPN services that are available so I can't really recommend one over the other.  I bet others on this forum can give recommendations.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,772 posts
4,145 battles
9 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

All of them after net neutrality repeal? Or at least severely throttled.

"Net neutrality" didn't have sh!t to do with that.  The FCC *could* have ruled on such things after the 'net became a utility regulated by the Feds, but there's no way they would have with commercial pressure such that being exerted in the EU now. 

The solution to these types of problems is to break ISP monopolies.  Let the opinions of consumers drive the market.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
17 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

"Net neutrality" didn't have sh!t to do with that.  The FCC *could* have ruled on such things after the 'net became a utility regulated by the Feds, but there's no way they would have with commercial pressure such that being exerted in the EU now. 

The solution to these types of problems is to break ISP monopolies.  Let the opinions of consumers drive the market.

And the political will to actually effect change via this regulation is going to come from where? The cable company lobbyists who vehemently opposed and lobbied most heavily against NN and ultimately got it repealed in the face of overwhelming public support?

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
8,772 posts
4,145 battles

Change what?  The 'net is currently self-regulated, and look how magnificent it is.  The monopolies need to be broken at the local and *maybe* state level.  You, like too many, frame the solution as more Federal power.  Add a bureaucracy atop it and good wishes will have all the weight of fairies.  Money talks, and empowered bureaucrats listen.  Without central regulation, the lobbyists will have less power.  It's much easier to buy one politician than 100,000 pissed-off citizens.

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,869 battles

Maybe find someone who can share their wows update folder in a Dropbox or something.   (I have three computers running wows I update one, then copy the update folder to the other two so I only have to tie up my internet bandwidth just one time) 

Or go to a Starbucks and use their WiFi to update?

Edited by wtfovr

[CAST]
Members
1,532 posts
7,987 battles
19 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

I don't think WoWS has that feature.  I know WoT did.

I don't think the link to the file is listed officially, but I think the file is there.  You just have to get the right person to provide the link, or find someone that has already used it and get the link or file from them.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Change what?  The 'net is currently self-regulated, and look how magnificent it is.  The monopolies need to be broken at the local and *maybe* state level.  You, like too many, frame the solution as more Federal power.  Add a bureaucracy atop it and good wishes will have all the weight of fairies.  Money talks, and empowered bureaucrats listen.  Without central regulation, the lobbyists will have less power.  It's much easier to buy one politician than 100,000 pissed-off citizens.

As someone in IT that deals with these ISPs, they wanted Net Neutrality repealed for a "free and open market" because they can use their monopolies to bar the way from competition entering the market. 

A free and open market has always been based around the idea that regulation prevented monopolization from capitalists. That was one of the key tenants of John Smith's famous The Wealth of Nations, and how Free Market economies worked and where the way to go.

[YORHA]
Members
4,010 posts
6,976 battles

@Silvin    I just pm'd you the NA installer.  Hope it works.

Edited by JCC45

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,448 battles
7 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

As someone in IT that deals with these ISPs, they wanted Net Neutrality repealed for a "free and open market" because they can use their monopolies to bar the way from competition entering the market. 

A free and open market has always been based around the idea that regulation prevented monopolization from capitalists. That was one of the key tenants of John Smith's famous The Wealth of Nations, and how Free Market economies worked and where the way to go.

"Net Neutrality" was actually helping ISP establish monopolies on the market, because smaller startups had a harder time getting established due to the regulations that were in place.

Besides, the important thing people keep forgetting was that Net Neutrality was implemented illegally.  The FCC at the time went through the proper steps, but it wasn't approved.  So what did they do?  They voted internally to give themselves authority to bypass the proper procedures to implement it without getting it approved by the others.  Essentially, they completely circumvented the legal political process involved and tried to do whatever they wanted.

Regardless, this political talk doesn't belong on here.  OP, you should be able to download the install directly from the site still.  I recall people recently talking about doing that because of issues with the game center launcher.

[YORHA]
Members
4,010 posts
6,976 battles
21 hours ago, iDuckman said:

There are quite a number of ISPs that are blocking P2P traffic by blocking all P2P clients.  They claim they are clamping down on Internet Piracy.