You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Cherry Blossom observation

30 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
2,479 posts
7,212 battles

I've played Cherry Blossom enough to see what seems to be a bad omen. I've had several 5 stars wins and been in the top 4 on the team score. I've also been on teams that can't keep the 2 Marines units alive and loose 3 or 4 ships in the opening battle.  It appears when ships start changing directions and causing others to change course or ramming each other at the beginning the odds of failing the operation increase greatly. "At the beginning" means maneuvering as soon as your ship can turn, before the enemy is spotted by radar.

Has anyone made the same observation?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,574 battles

hahaha played cherry blossom on live server a few times, never made pass the first phase. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,033 posts
19,426 battles
4 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

hahaha played cherry blossom on live server a few times, never made pass the first phase. 

The T7 Ops had issues. This one is T8...

...reason enough to ignore it.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
1,116 posts
14,413 battles

It's usually a bad sign in any game when the team can't leave the spawning area without bumping into each other. It doesn't say a whole lot...or maybe it does... about various players map awareness .:Smile_child:

[-BRS-]
Members
827 posts
14,768 battles

If you all are having terrible random teammates, you could run with an organized informal operations division if you like. We just 5 starred all the operations with 7 of us last week for a challenge, of which I am currently uploading the videos for still on my YouTube channel. If you're interested in running with us, let me know.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
254 posts
6,626 battles

I took my first run at it with a buddy a couple days ago getting 4 stars with our mistake being failure to save both marine groups. Hopefully, four us us are going in tonight to get a give star after work.

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles
51 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This scenario is one of the easiest available, you have powerful ships and the team cannot be saddled with a potentially less effective type such as destroyers.  Even with the ship bumping at the beginning, you'll be able to complete it without too much difficulty.  You might not be able to get 5 stars but completing it shouldn't be an issue.

I've been playing it continuously for 2 days to level up my Russian and US cruisers, it has been greatly profitable.

• Cool 7

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,841 posts
4,855 battles

It seems like it's a place for Clevelands to go...since it's likely that many people only have Cleveland as their available ship for this op...

[WORX]
Members
3,258 posts
14,685 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I've also been on teams that can't keep the 2 Marines units alive and loose 3 or 4 ships in the opening battle.  It appears when ships start changing directions and causing others to change course or ramming each other at the beginning the odds of failing the operation increase greatly. "At the beginning" means maneuvering as soon as your ship can turn, before the enemy is spotted by radar.

^^^This is more in the bad planing or " user error" then anything else. As is, this scenario is fun. They  have really changed it a little since PTS, atm I would argue its one of the enjoyable scenarios to play. My main issue is the over use of radar when in reality there is no need for it. Ships that do fare well are Hydro and AA defense build. People who are using radar are to new guys because they don;t know where the ships are coming up next. Other then that its a good operation I like it

[WOLF9]
Members
8,754 posts
4,138 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

My main issue is the over use of radar when in reality there is no need for it.

Radar makes life a lot easier (and historically accurate) at the very beginning, where the cruiser pack is about to drive into a DD division.  Someone pop radar about 20 sec. in so they can be killed before they can unload their tubes.  (Apparently at this point they haven't spotted the player ships, which is also historically accurate.)  Elsewhere radar is not really needed.  I drive AA builds.

[REVY]
Members
1,205 posts
8,727 battles

Only thing I really noticed is you really have to drive full speed to those two Myokos to save the marines. On a good day, about half the marine units seem to survive after you have driven off the Myokos and the DDs.

The next 'difficult' part of the misson is the torpedo spam, both aerial and ship based.

I was playing with a good of excellent and seasoned players and had quite easily handled the first part. Then came the torpedo spam. I got cross-dropped after taking a citadel hit from the Atago in my Cleveland. I then watched as another teammate took a spread of aerial torps into the side, sinking him. He was immediately on discord wanting to know where those torps had come from, having never saw the planes like I did from the free cam.

The scenario, while may seem easy, can even catch an experienced player unaware.  Thus I agree, it's fun and challenging.

[WORX]
Members
3,258 posts
14,685 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Someone pop radar about 20 sec. in so they can be killed before they can unload their tubes.  (Apparently at this point they haven't spotted the player ships, which is also historically accurate.) 

IMO, I thought it would be easier also but, it was faster and quicker to sink the DDs when they're close (with out using radar) then using it when your detected. As soon as you fire at them from radar detect range that is when they turn around and throw torps. At point blank range, 2 salvos and its done, no torps.  Compared to 3 or more salvos IF you use radar farther away and the probability of torps is higher.   I tried to state this in game also and boy did I get salt back lol. If people want to waste radar then hey waste it. I don;t even touch radar in the match

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,558 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I've played Cherry Blossom enough to see what seems to be a bad omen. I've had several 5 stars wins and been in the top 4 on the team score. I've also been on teams that can't keep the 2 Marines units alive and loose 3 or 4 ships in the opening battle.  It appears when ships start changing directions and causing others to change course or ramming each other at the beginning the odds of failing the operation increase greatly. "At the beginning" means maneuvering as soon as your ship can turn, before the enemy is spotted by radar.

The only trouble with this Operation is that people don't use their radar correctly or even at all. Some one should pop radar to spot the first wave of DDs as soon as the rear guns catch up, About 5 seconds after the start of the battle. Right at the start is fine too though. If you want the troops to live, some one has to spot the DDs that are devastating the land base's. I don't have Superintendent on my Cleveland so I only get 3, I use them all up before we even get the repair ship because no one else seems to know where or when to use the radar. This of course isn't a problem when I run the Cleveland, which I ground all the XP for the Seattle in short order. It's when I run the Kutuzov that I get frustrated with the lack of radar. There are always at least 3 Cleveland's, yet most battles no one hits the radar at the start and you have to wait to shoot at the initial 4 DDs that could have been spotted right away. Then no one hits radar to spot the DDs that are decimating the troops. I can't shoot what I can't see. Then of course you have the DD to the far east and the two to the north east and still the northern most and eastern most radar ships don't hit the button. I think the reason for this is that most people playing Radar ships wait until they are spotted before they will hit the radar. With the reduced viability at the night part of the operation, the DDs have been in radar range long before you get spotted by them. Start using your radar correctly spot the DDs, kill them and the troops live every time.

I have made over 50,000,000 credits in Cherry Blossom since it's release. I also ground all of the XP to get the Seattle and will now mount credit camos and signals on Cleveland and start making some credits with her now. In my experience I mostly get 5 star battles, then 4 star battles and then defeats (only 4 or 5 of them though). 1, 2, and 3 star battles are rare. I think I have had one 3 star battle and no 1 or 2 star ones.

I have changed my mind about this post when I found out the Kutuzov was the only ship making this kind of bank.

Now it's off to the PT to see what they did to Narai and Raptor and garner a few signals.

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,558 battles
27 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

On a good day, about half the marine units seem to survive after you have driven off the Myokos and the DDs.

It's the invisible DDs that do the most damage to the Marines. Spotting them early with radar and taking them out gets rid of the torp spam and does more for saving the troops than killing the Myoko's. They can be spotted with radar easily but no one seems to want to use their Precious radar. once you are spotted and use it you are already too late.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts

what pisses me off is some games, the remaining ships just refuse to kill the 2 bases, even though everyone is screaming in chat, this kind of design of a couple of players can screw everyone is just stupid, should be fixed

[N-W-T]
Members
1,353 posts
5,695 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

what pisses me off is some games, the remaining ships just refuse to kill the 2 bases, even though everyone is screaming in chat, this kind of design of a couple of players can screw everyone is just stupid, should be fixed

You shouldn't be killing the airports until all of the enemy ships are dead. This mission is easy damage farming, so you're missing out on XP if you kill the bases early. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts
2 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You shouldn't be killing the airports until all of the enemy ships are dead. This mission is easy damage farming, so you're missing out on XP if you kill the bases early. 

of course we know that, all those missions ended up fail and everyone get close to nothing

• Cool 1

[B2P]
Beta Testers
145 posts
8,206 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

And how do you propose to fix it? A developer can only do so much to show someone the door, but they can't help them if all they do is keep running into a wall. :cap_book:

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The only bad teams I recall was on the first day the patch dropped, but other than that it's been mostly 5-4 star win teams for myself. And I've been playing in everyday, a good relaxing way to farm high commander xp/free xp for those Tier VIII cruisers. I'm sure the team quality will decrease in time since most decent players will no longer run it after earning all 5-star rewards, just like the other operations.

But whatever the team is, you should never expect others to use their ships to the fullest (even the consumables). Heck some of them have very poor awareness and eat torpedoes left and right, no different when playing in Random. You just have to do your best using the ship you have and focus on what objective needs to get done. Take the initiative yourself, don't expect your team to do it for you. If joining random players is too much, get together with others and division up.

3 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

It's usually a bad sign in any game when the team can't leave the spawning area without bumping into each other. It doesn't say a whole lot...or maybe it does... about various players map awareness .:Smile_child:

There's also a lot of older players that play mostly Coop/Operations that will never have that awareness due to age or various medical conditions. It can be frustrating at times (understandable), but we shouldn't be too hard on them over it. Just do your best to communicate and help guide them, since most of them I find will appreciate the assistance.

But those that are stubborn and give you a grumpy attitude, well you're free to do what's best. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,479 posts
7,212 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I've had success by sending one ship to sink the flagship then to the west airbase. The Baltimore's 8" guns are better for this task but the 6" guns will work. After that airdrome is destroyed head east and target the remaining enemy ships until you are in range of the airdrome. My teammates are usually happy to sink the enemy ships.

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,180 battles

I got 5 stars on my first try, slam dunk.

The primary reason for this is at the start I went straight east instead of towards the Marines. Only one ship should do this. You see the enemy cas approaching from the north Cit and sink them and their whole plan falls apart quickly.

Sinking the cas is what causes the enemy force to give up on shelling your troop positions. Once you have saved the Marines and not lost any friendlies it should be a near slam dunk. Just make sure you repair any damage taken.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts
1 hour ago, Termx said:

And how do you propose to fix it? A developer can only do so much to show someone the door, but they can't help them if all they do is keep running into a wall. :cap_book:

how about xp/credit based on your kills and objectives, just like random game, win/lose in random only adds 50% of extra xp, the OP, you win you get 3000 xp, you lose you get 300, that's just bull

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have 5 Stars on Cherry Blossom. 

I return for the Exp and Credits. When I am placed on a Poorly assembled team I try to help those Teams understand the Objectives.

Not by telling the players what to do but by example and Pinging the Mini Map. Explaining where the next enemy force will show up,Pointing out the Star winning objectives.

When I get the ever so common STFU I do just that. I got my 5 Stars. 

You can lead a Horse to water as it is said.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,175 posts
5,606 battles

So far for the past couple of days I've been consistently getting 5 star wins with complete random players. This ops is giving the same vibe as Narai in terms of getting the hang of it and the amount of time it takes to complete it.

Spoiler

NFdoAmp.jpgmaJ3KQY.jpgyAtQ5Cl.jpgNl3uW3d.jpg5ruUlor.jpg

And for this particular battle, I wasn't really paying attention, but apparently one cleveland on our team found an ideal spot and was getting mad damage farms on the enemy ships and this was his base exp result

rq0Fsq0.jpg

In my observation. people seem to be doing a lot better than the other ops and are receiving hefty rewards for it.

Also a team full of clevelands absolutely dominates the ops like you wouldn't believe even if you have a ship go afk or a couple dying early to torps.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,754 posts
4,138 battles
6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO, I thought it would be easier also but, it was faster and quicker to sink the DDs when they're close (with out using radar) then using it when your detected. As soon as you fire at them from radar detect range that is when they turn around and throw torps. At point blank range, 2 salvos and its done, no torps.  Compared to 3 or more salvos IF you use radar farther away and the probability of torps is higher.

Are we talking about the same initial group of four DDs?  It is quite rare that they get torps off at all, and I haven't noticed that radar encourages them.  The two closer ones die almost immediately (if your team has a clue) and the farther two soon after.  While I don't recall many battles where radar wasn't used there, they could hardly have gone better.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,754 posts
4,138 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Then no one hits radar to spot the DDs that are decimating the troops

Those aren't the one shooting at the Marines.  There are at least two more inshore with the CAs that are shooting.  Those are quite difficult to spot.  I'd recommend radar on them but they're out of radar range until it's likely too late.  Teams will focus on the CAs that they can see and neglect the DDs, which is why the Marines die way too often.

Hitting radar immediately to spot the first 4 DDs will leave the farther two undetected.  You can safely wait for 20 or more seconds (we time it to 19:40).