You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Gearing or Zao?

33 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles

I am wanting to be more viable for Clan Wars and wondering which ship is better to get 1st since my only X ship is Yamato at the moment due to the sheer credit cost of purchasing and equipping X ships when you do not have premium time. So looks like my X ships are sliding into port at a rate of 1 ship every 6 months lol. I have used both the Gearing and the Zao heavily when able to do things like the Space battles. Back then I would be thinking Gearing, but now with recent changes wondering if Zao might have the edge instead. Currently at Ibuki in Zao line and Mahan in Gearing line and would be good to know which to give priority to.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,232 posts
14,211 battles

Does you clan need a good destroyer captain or cruiser captain.

Which one do you play better.

• Cool 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,088 battles

man both are great I thought Zao was underrepresented last time due to lack of radar but the players that played it in my clan did pretty damn well with it. I played  Gearing alot myself because I was asked and found It was fine but honestly thought I did better with my Z 52 didn't have troubles with Gearing at all just thought I could do more for team in Z but I allways got asked to play Gearing most of the time so I did  

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
429 posts
11,063 battles

Apples to oranges brother. Cant compare the two directly. The correct answer eventually is both.

Edited by MackDye
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles
Just now, NeutralState said:

In this meta after this patch? It's a no brainer isn't it?

Lol yeah so true, but Gearing can Torp beyond Radar range which made me wonder if would still be viable or not.

5 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Does you clan need a good destroyer captain or cruiser captain.

Which one do you play better.

The clan I have been helping out with their leveling up is not active enough for Clan Wars. So I am improving my X ship selection to be more appealing and then going to find a clan war clan that could use me. Even some of the mid way clan battle rewards have my interest so would certainly be worth my workngbon getting them.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,719 posts
9,439 battles

Gearing depends on your ability to think 1min ahead in the battle, esp. w/ getting them on targets or forcing them to broadside. W/ the prevalence of hydro and Vigilance, OTOH, it may not be as viable.

I've stuck w/ Zao. Trollish armor is very frustrating for opposing cruisers to punch through.

[DANKY]
Members
723 posts
2,066 battles

This new meta story is overrated.  Even in a match rife with radar cruisers, a team with a Gearing who knows what he or she is doing will romp over a team without stealthy destroyers.  They are simply too useful, and they get exponentially more advantageous the longer the match runs.  Get a Gearing and refine your ability to contribute while not dying...you'll do great. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,719 posts
9,439 battles
2 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

This new meta story is overrated.  Even in a match rife with radar cruisers, a team with a Gearing who knows what he or she is doing will romp over a team without stealthy destroyers.  They are simply too useful, and they get exponentially more advantageous the longer the match runs.  Get a Gearing and refine your ability to contribute while not dying...you'll do great. 

Only if the Gearing can:

1) Bait radar effectively, wasting it

2) Put effective torps at least 90% of the time

3) And refuse to die. I have done CW casually and nothing scares a Gearing more than a Zao chasing him; 37 knots isn't enough to escape a 35-knot shark.

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles
7 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Gearing depends on your ability to think 1min ahead in the battle, esp. w/ getting them on targets or forcing them to broadside. W/ the prevalence of hydro and Vigilance, OTOH, it may not be as viable.

I've stuck w/ Zao. Trollish armor is very frustrating for opposing cruisers to punch through.

Lol I play in international Chess tournaments sometimes, thinking a minute ahead can be managed... :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,548 battles

Zao for sure. Gearing has been power crept into irrelevance.

Groz does everything meaningful that a Gearing does, gets a heal, is faster, and gets both engine boost and def-AA for killing those spotter planes. 

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,586 posts
17,719 battles
31 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Zao for sure. Gearing has been power crept into irrelevance.

Groz does everything meaningful that a Gearing does, gets a heal, is faster, and gets both engine boost and def-AA for killing those spotter planes. 

Groz doesn't have torps that go beyond radar range like the Gearing does......and isn't the Gearing a bit stealthier?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,548 battles
11 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Groz doesn't have torps that go beyond radar range like the Gearing does......and isn't the Gearing a bit stealthier?

You arn’t going to hit anything torping from 12k out, especially in CW. 

You have an extra .1k in stealth with Gearing, which is irrelevant. I already know where they are with RPF and can turn in to spot them or turn away to disengage. You can’t do anything with a .1k stealth window. 

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,586 posts
17,719 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

You arn’t going to hit anything torping from 12k out, especially in CW. 

You have an extra .1k in stealth with Gearing, which is irrelevant. I already know where they are with RPF and can turn in to spot them or turn away to disengage. You can’t do anything with a .1k stealth window. 

Agree that 0.1km isn't at all meaningful.  However 13km torps will hit "posted up" Moskvas and DMs.....at least my YY does so and it is very similar to a Gearing with 13.2km torps.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

The Zao gets better results in terms of wins on average, but if you're a skilled DD Captain I would go with the Gearing. It is an excellent DD and very valuable in Clan Wars. The Zao is as well, but it is more reliant on a well played DD to make it dance than a Gearing is on a Zao.

[SIDE]
Members
2,099 posts
33 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

The Zao gets better results in terms of wins on average, but if you're a skilled DD Captain I would go with the Gearing. It is an excellent DD and very valuable in Clan Wars. The Zao is as well, but it is more reliant on a well played DD to make it dance than a Gearing is on a Zao.

Don’t worry about radar. Just know the boats that have it and where they are located at all times. In clan wars communication wins so be sure everyone calls out “radar’d” so you can guess what ship is running it and what cool down time you have to either go torp it or be within its range doing other things. If you stay busy spotting and topping choke points early on then you cruisers and B.B. can eliminate a couple radar boats and then you can really go merc some fools.  This applies to both the zao and the gearing as both have good concealment values and good torps they can use inside radar range. 

I would choose zao. It’s probably the best at what it does which is long range fire sniping. With speed flags it’ll go 36 knots and with camo it’s invisible to 9-10 km. It’s agile and can dodge a lot of incoming fire. It has better armor than the us cruisers. It has a spotter plane for even longer shots. The guns are accurate, have perfect arcs and good ROF. Lastly, it’s torps are fantastic.

The gearing was a decent cap contested but I think the pan asian with radar or the z are much better suited for it now. The gearing is still a good flanker torp boat that can handle itself just fine but I imagine a well played shima is far more effective in that role. I have gearing and I prefer my z.

tldr zao

Edited by thebigblue

[REVY]
Members
1,216 posts
8,777 battles

I can't really say much on Zao as I am only at Myoko in that line.

As for Gearing, even in the now heavy radar meta, I have had some very good games in her. I'm running a 64% win rate in her and I am usually a BB-main.

[NLIST]
2,936 posts
10,646 battles

Zao will be a better choice since her stealth+amazing AP pen+new torps make her a must have on any team

[PRNA]
Members
280 posts
3,625 battles

Zao.

Gearing isn't called for unless you can't field a Yueyang already. It's also in a rather precarious position balance wise. It's coming nearer and nearer to that eventual tipping point where just being OK at most things isn't enough when you could just pick another ship that does most of what it does, but also comes with a better gimmick. It's going to be power crept.

Zao however has tools that won't be outdated for a long time, especially with that torpedo buff. 9km concealment, good AP, and great spammable HE isn't going out of style any time soon. Note however, you'll need to put some time into it and prove yourself to be considered for running it on a good CW team. It's a 1 of ship, and requires finesse to use. The caller has to trust you can do dangerous things and get away with it.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,232 posts
14,211 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol yeah so true, but Gearing can Torp beyond Radar range which made me wonder if would still be viable or not.

The clan I have been helping out with their leveling up is not active enough for Clan Wars. So I am improving my X ship selection to be more appealing and then going to find a clan war clan that could use me. Even some of the mid way clan battle rewards have my interest so would certainly be worth my workngbon getting them.

The skill of the player determines which ship is a "best" next tier 10.

Our clan is struggling to get a 2nd div going. We are looking for players who can participate. 

If interested look us up. Only requirements are 1 tier 8 and a mic.

Members
2,255 posts

Zao has terrible turret arc 45 degrees and torp arc's too. I was playing it grinding out the new mod... But I gave up after 2 days. Ship just doesn't feel good to me. It does damage but it's a pain in the butt to WASD in. 

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am wanting to be more viable for Clan Wars and wondering which ship is better to get 1st since my only X ship is Yamato at the moment due to the sheer credit cost of purchasing and equipping X ships when you do not have premium time. So looks like my X ships are sliding into port at a rate of 1 ship every 6 months lol. I have used both the Gearing and the Zao heavily when able to do things like the Space battles. Back then I would be thinking Gearing, but now with recent changes wondering if Zao might have the edge instead. Currently at Ibuki in Zao line and Mahan in Gearing line and would be good to know which to give priority to.

I would normally say go for the Gearing, but current high tier DD play is very punishing.  As difficult as I've ever experienced.

In the current high-tier meta I think going for the Zao would be the better choice.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,152 battles

I’d go with the Zao, lazer guns and with the spotter plane can shoot over 21 k accurately for the Clan battle Campers,plus they just gave a torp option with slower but harder hitting 12 k Torps she leans more to the sneaky sniper style with low detection for a Cruiser with hard hitting guns but not great at brawling other X Cruisers