You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

How is Buffalo doing?

18 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
671 posts
4,505 battles

I'm sailing Baltimore now and grinding for Buffalo,

But as far as the stats go, Buffalo looks like a downgrade from Baltimore?

I know it's getting heal.. and additional turret.. but.. reload is at 13 seconds, range is shorter and mobility is sluggish..plus the worse concealment.

I don't know how that's going to work at tier 9?

I know you get upgrade slot6, but I don't think it's going to save the ship.

If you equip reload mod, it's still 11.4 seconds reload with slower turret traverse than Baltimore..What gives?

any opinions?

Edited by 0806sung
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,775 posts
4,408 battles

Turret traverse was the same as Baltimore with that mod.

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,565 battles

I had no reason to play the tier 9 when I already had the tier 10.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,210 posts
14,114 battles

Concealment mod in slot 6.

Range mod.

You will do fine. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles

Hated Baltimore at tier 9, it’s still garbage at tier 8. Much prefer Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Gregor_Marethel said:

It's a terrible ship, so get ready to suffer if you want the Des Moines (or shell out the ~250k Free XP to skip it).

3 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I couldn't make it work and already had Des Moines, so it was a quick experiment for me.  Still, some people seem to really like it

Everyone seems to hate Buffalo, which is obviously why I like it. (‘Popular’ ships have always been useless to me, (Leander,) while hated ships I’ve loved, (Mutsuki.)

4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I had no reason to play the tier 9 when I already had the tier 10.

A reason? Des Moines dies too fast. I’ve averaged more hits per game with Buffalo.

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,565 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Everyone seems to hate Buffalo, which is obviously why I like it. (‘Popular’ ships have always been useless to me, (Leander,) while hated ships I’ve loved, (Mutsuki.)

A reason? Des Moines dies too fast. I’ve averaged more hits per game with Buffalo.

I guess it also makes more sense to ride on a Buffalo than to ride on a Des Moines. Now that you say that, I really don't do well with the Des Moines any way and of course why have every ship, if you don't play them. The fact is that, I am grinding 12 other ships at the moment and probably won't play the lines I already have completed until I have finished off the other lines. I too, for some reason seem to do better in ships that are not really liked.

Beta Testers
38 posts
3,711 battles
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You should try playing the Buffalo in Random battles.

It's only good in Co-op because range is never an issue and showing full broadside to use all your guns is rarely punished.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,162 posts
10,797 battles
23 minutes ago, Gregor_Marethel said:

It's only good in Co-op because range is never an issue and showing full broadside to use all your guns is rarely punished.

Run range mod.  No really.  It's a completely different playstyle than the other ships in the line.  You play at range and you kite.  Does pretty well in randoms.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
17 minutes ago, Gregor_Marethel said:

While true, if I want to do a chore instead of have fun I’ll mow my yard.

• Funny 2

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,565 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

While true, if I want to do a chore instead of have fun I’ll mow my yard.

Lol, my grass is getting pretty long too.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
2 hours ago, 0806sung said:

I'm sailing Baltimore now and grinding for Buffalo,

But as far as the stats go, Buffalo looks like a downgrade from Baltimore?

I know it's getting heal.. and additional turret.. but.. reload is at 13 seconds, range is shorter and mobility is sluggish..plus the worse concealment.

I don't know how that's going to work at tier 9?

I know you get upgrade slot6, but I don't think it's going to save the ship.

If you equip reload mod, it's still 11.4 seconds reload with slower turret traverse than Baltimore..What gives?

any opinions?

i like the guns on it but i find its way too fragile for a t9 cruiser

[MIA-P]
Members
2,162 posts
10,797 battles
2 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

i like the guns on it but i find its way too fragile for a t9 cruiser

Fragile compared to a Roon, maybe, but compared to Neptune, Ibuki, Donskoi, and St Louis?  I'd say it's par or better.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman
  • Cool 1

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

I have only a couple games in it but it seems like a solid ship to me. It just plays different than the rest of the ships in the line.

• Cool 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
8 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Fragile compared to a Roon, maybe, but compared to Neptune, Ibuki, Donskoi, and St Louis?  I'd say it's par or better.

yea maybe so but in my mind if your a radar cruiser you have to get in arms way to pop radar and i find the buffalo is kinda sqeeshy for that purpose

its fine if your island hugging but then your not using your radar

i like it for the guns i just find its not well rounded is all

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

The problem with the Buffalo is as follows:

• Worse frontal fire than the Baltimore, due to a slower reload speed, which is a big deal since Cruisers rely on being bow on so often.
  • Kills the progression of the line for the player. You got from 3 Cruisers that fire more quickly than the last, and 2 that go the to the USN 3 x 3 standard for CAs set by the Northampton's, and into a 4 x 3 Cruiser that fires more slowly, and then turns into a 3 x 3 Cruiser that fires much more quickly again.
  • As a paper ship, it reverts to a style that the USN refused to return too post-New Orleans. Going back on nearly a decades worth of progress that led to the Baltimore. This gives us a ship that is more vulnerable than the Baltimore.
  • On top of being more vulnerable, and having a large citadel, the ship suffers more because in order to put that amazing extra turret to use, you have to expose more of the ship, which forces you to expose every weakness the ship has.

The Buffalo needs to have a 13 second reload, and some sort of buff to it's survival ability.

Eventually it needs to be placed off to the side, and Oregon City needs to be placed at Tier 9, with an 11 second reload, or something. The Northampton should also be placed at Tier 6, and the Pensacola moved to the side at Tier 6 as well. 

War Gaming had a perfect chance to streamline the progression of the USN tree with the rework, and totally screwed it up.

• Cool 2

[MIA-P]
Members
2,162 posts
10,797 battles
Just now, Madwolf05 said:

The problem with the Buffalo is as follows:

• Worse frontal fire than the Baltimore, due to a slower reload speed, which is a big deal since Cruisers rely on being bow on so often.
  • Kills the progression of the line for the player. You got from 3 Cruisers that fire more quickly than the last, and 2 that go the to the USN 3 x 3 standard for CAs set by the Northampton's, and into a 4 x 3 Cruiser that fires more slowly, and then turns into a 3 x 3 Cruiser that fires much more quickly again.
  • As a paper ship, it reverts to a style that the USN refused to return too post-New Orleans. Going back on nearly a decades worth of progress that led to the Baltimore. This gives us a ship that is more vulnerable than the Baltimore.
  • On top of being more vulnerable, and having a large citadel, the ship suffers more because in order to put that amazing extra turret to use, you have to expose more of the ship, which forces you to expose every weakness the ship has.

The Buffalo needs to have a 13 second reload, and some sort of buff to it's survival ability.

Eventually it needs to be placed off to the side, and Oregon City needs to be placed at Tier 9, with an 11 second reload, or something. The Northampton should also be placed at Tier 6, and the Pensacola moved to the side at Tier 6 as well. 

War Gaming had a perfect chance to streamline the progression of the USN tree with the rework, and totally screwed it up.

Yeah, it really doesn't fit line progression.  It's a good ship, but way out there playstyle-wise.  Would have worked better as a premium.

• Cool 2