You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Beflast - Still deserving of the nickname Payfast?

Belfast still the Payfast?   

51 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Are you enjoying the new USN cruiser tech tree?

• Yes
    • No
    • MOTR (Middle Of The Road)
  2. 2. Do you feel the Belfast is still OP when compared to the new American Cruisers?

• Yes - She's a bloody terror, sinking ships who dare to even look at her!
    • No - She's kind of an average ship nowadays.
    • MOTR as with all ships, depends on the player driving her.
    • Never,, I say she was NEVER OP! I stand as The Cliffs of Moher against those claiming otherwise!!!
  3. 3. How often do you encounter a Belfast in-game these days?

• Often - just like always, she's there.
    • Seldom - seems she has fallen out of popularity these days
    • MOTR - no more no less than before.
  4. 4. What's your favorite go-to food for overwhelming feelings of comfort, joy and in-game dominance?

• Bacon
    • Cheeseburger
    • Pizza
    • Nachos
    • Other - tell us!

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/13/2018 at 04:00 AM

44 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

So the whole USN cruiser line split and so, so much radar out there these days, I'm curious if you still feel the Belfast (aka Payfast) is still a massively OP ship. I just asked if "you FEEL" which of course has nothing to do with statistical values. If you see one in a match, do you find yourself FEELING its going to be tough match, oh noes a Payfast, etc, etc? 

Nothing serious - just curious. Have fun with the poll. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Cool 1

Members
2,619 posts
7,661 battles
15 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So the whole USN cruiser line split and so, so much radar out there these days, I'm curious if you still feel the Belfast (aka Payfast) is still a massively OP ship. I just asked if "you FEEL" which of course has nothing to do with statistical values. If you see one in a match, do you find yourself FEELING its going to be tough match, oh noes a Payfast, etc, etc? 

I always dread seing Belfast when im in my Fiji.... until I torp her or charge her down

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes.  I play a lot of Belfast, and it's definitely over-powered compared to the rest of the line.  It's the sum of the tools that make her over-powered, rather than any one thing.  I tend to use those tools to get close to a cap early in the game and assassinating a destroyer.  This creates an early edge and gives a significant boost to your team.  USN CLs can't sneak as close, smoke up if detected, and then kill with radar. 

They can't open water smoke shoot with clear fields of fire.  USN CLs are always found humping an island, which gives them poor fields of fire.  Belfast makes the enemy team a smorgasbord of opportunity.  USN CLs take what they can get.  I'm not at all impressed by them.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Funny 1

[TOG]
Members
3,609 posts
19,350 battles

Radar to spot DD's with, smoke for open water shooting combined hydro to spot torps while in smoke. Just need to stay out of 7 km if in tier or out of 10 km if low tier.

[PVE]
Members
9,298 posts
16,508 battles
40 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

How about adding an option in #2 of I don't think Belfast ever was OP or something like Belfast's OP reputation was overstated.

Honestly I read so much about how OP the Belfast was that I was super excited when I got one out of a Santa crate. I am a big RN CL guy and figured Belfast would be unstoppable. Man was I disappointed. IMO it is not OP (not even close) it is Average. Fiji is way more powerful and way better than Belfast IMO.

Now, I am a Co-op player so YMMV. In Co-op you fight all the time and even in Cruisers you brawl. You just can't hug islands and snipe, you can't run and hide like you can (and so many do) in PVP modes as the bots always know where you are and hunt you down, and radar is not the powerful tool it is in PVP. You can use smoke more effectively as the bots don't shoot into it BUT they also don't avoid smoke but instead charge it and close the distance so you get spotted.

For Co-op play at least Belfast is average at best. Was really disappointed when I got it and now seldom play it. Kutuzov does live up to the hype even in Co-op though. I have played some random with Cruisers and based off that experience I would not have any great desire to take Belfast in.

Oh, and you asked what we think if we see one in the game on the other side. I think oh boy, a big juicy 1 salvo dev strike.

As far as the new US CL's go for the most part they kind of suck. Slow and sluggish, most of them have ridiculously long reloads, with horrible shell arcs, and they all are as fragile as tissue paper. Not a big fan.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[O_O]
Members
804 posts
5,473 battles

Still a powerful ship when played by someone familiar with her. 

The potatoes who bought her because OP and were yet still potatoes seem to be dwindling though, so my bet is her numbers are probably coming up, but overall play is down.  Will have to check on that.

[edit]

Discovered that the metrics sites don't do any analysis of ship performance over time.  Maybe something to consider, @Critter8?  May also be prohibitively complex, not sure.

[/edit]

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Nothing is sweeter than radaring a broadside Fiji in smoke, then citadelling the crap out of him with AP in a Belfast to remind him who's king in the RN CL line.  As for Belfast AP, I'll just leave this here

shot-18.06.27_21.10.30-0169.jpg

shot-18.06.27_21.10.03-0667.jpg

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,260 posts

Peanut Butter and Celery.

I like to keep my stress levels down,,,

P1016452.JPG

• Cool 1

Members
1,746 posts
14,958 battles

Still strong, but all the radar has had an impact, especially when tiered up.  Will see what happens with a few more Indi's out there in a few days.  Requires playing smart, setting up the smoke near an exit route.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,712 posts
7,704 battles

I love my Payfast, no ship farms XP, wins and damage while being near braindead as easy as her. I think she remains stupidly broken.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

How about adding an option in #2 of I don't think Belfast ever was OP or something like Belfast's OP reputation was overstated.

Done! 

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

Most games I see Belfast on the enemy team it is the last survivor in a lost game so I don't know if I only play against potato Belfasts or its not that great.  It is still incredibly annoying but the lack of torps and heal make it very weak against anyone with a brain that realizes to run away from the smoke and come back when the smoke leaves.  Only really cancerous in divisions with other smoke ships or when played by great players.

• Cool 1

[VFW]
Members
1,228 posts
24,317 battles

Belfast is a good ship, but OP...I think not.   As always, it's the player that is OP and can make any ship a wolf or a lamb.

VR,

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,290 posts

Belfast is only OP because of the unicums who play her (the same applies for other so-called OP ships like Konig Albert, Nikolai and Kutuzov). Other than that she can be easily spotted by radar or taken out with torpedoes fired into her smoke. It all depends on competent teams. Potato teams (which occure often) only make Belfast look better.

One thing's for sure, she is most definitely not OP in a controlled environment like Operation Ultimate Frontier or Hermes.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,998 posts
14,627 battles

I have never done good with the Belfast, the Scharnhorst or the Atago. Grapes, they are just so juicy and refreshing and you can make wine with them.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
2,188 posts
5,007 battles

1. Yes. Tier 7 New Orleans feels relatively comfortable, and Helena is a new go-to ship for me. Atlanta, despite its age in the game, is still a keeper.

2. I've never felt that the Belfast was OP unless driven by an above average / good / superb player. In the hands of an average player it's just as fragile and vulnerable as any other Royal Navy CL, which makes it easy picking for USN 203mm AP. I remember landing multiple citadels on Belfasts in the old Pensacola, chewing them up. In the hands of an experienced player, however, the Belfast with its smoke, radar, and HE spam is still potent.

3. Not very often, though I've seen a couple more than usual in the last few weeks.

4. Rice, simple home cooking, noodles, whatever I feel like having but it's always something Asian. Soy sauce chicken with rice, staple Cantonese street food, is one of my favorites and here in Vancouver / Richmond I can easily find it at any Chinese-owned mall with a food court. Parker Place does it better than Aberdeen though. My stomach doesn't handle many things all that well.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

Members
1,957 posts
10,377 battles

Hey

Belfast WAS great because of the gimmicks she had on board at T7; having smoke meant she could remain undetected and farm damage (all RN cruisers have that), Hydro and radar was great tools to kill enemy DD's but those days are over with the proliferation of radar which can for a period detect the Belfast hiding in smoke (among other DD's) and since she is so fragile can be quite easily be killed.  She has no defensive torps (unlike the real ship) so it really comes down to the ability of her captain.  She is still a force but not the overwhelming beast she once was when people didn't have the tools/skill to counter it.  The game meta is changing and many ships that were once beasts are now relegated to average or slightly above average, Belfast is that class.  She still has the tools to get the job done in the right hands, but so do a lot of other ships now and given the amount of MM up tiering happening.  I kept mine, but I don't play it often simply because I am grinding other stuff.

Pete

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

In light of at least this non-scientific poll, it makes me wonder why indeed they felt the Belfast was OP "enough" to remove her from sale. Of course, I'm hoping one day in the near future they will buff her up a bit so she can regain her OP crown. 

:cap_haloween::cap_haloween::cap_haloween::cap_haloween: 

Yeah, that's happening. 

Thanks everyone for participating in the poll! 

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,236 posts
15,698 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

In light of at least this non-scientific poll, it makes me wonder why indeed they felt the Belfast was OP "enough" to remove her from sale. Of course, I'm hoping one day in the near future they will buff her up a bit so she can regain her OP crown. 

:cap_haloween::cap_haloween::cap_haloween::cap_haloween: 

Yeah, that's happening. 

Thanks everyone for participating in the poll! 

She really needs to have torpedoes and a Heal to compete with the current meta. 

:cap_haloween:

While I could over indulge in Bacon, CheeseBurgers, Pizza or even BBQ if given the chance. Real comfort food are those special home made dishes that only my Mom could make. A hot bowl of beef and vegetable soup or chili on a cold winters day. A plate of Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Or one of my favorite meals, French Casserole, stuff takes 5 hours to make and is amazing. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

She really needs to have torpedoes and a Heal to compete with the current meta. 

:cap_haloween:

While I could over indulge in Bacon, CheeseBurgers, Pizza or even BBQ if given the chance. Real comfort food are those special home made dishes that only my Mom could make. A hot bowl of beef and vegetable soup or chili on a cold winters day. A plate of Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Or one of my favorite meals, French Casserole, stuff takes 5 hours to make and is amazing. 

Oh I agree but if they did buff her the screams and wailing would be heard back to 1938 at least!

All those meals sound great. My wife makes some killer chili (she's Asian) you go to trust me on that one. Five hours to make something to eat is about four hours too long for me! I almost hate being in the home when my wife's making one of my favorites... my stomach churns because of the aromas that tell me what soon will be upon my plate. 

We both are fortunate for having such food memories... 

• Funny 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
860 posts
8,073 battles

Still an OP ship. Just have to be aware of enemy radar. Its hands down better then the new US CL line

[USNSS]
Members
926 posts
9,716 battles

Great ship if you play it right, the HE really makes it shine.  Like all ships a Div or teamwork really create power.  I have one and have sunk a bunch of them, a Belfast running solo is easy pray if it pushes in too close.

It's fun to play sometimes, but I prefer Fiji hands down.

• Cool 1

[70]
Members
1,103 posts
5,752 battles

Belfast is great if you need an education for why genocide and misanthropy can seem like a brilliant idea.

Because the world has laws stupid enough to prevent this abomination from being colossally nerfed.

Edited by Guardian54

[OBS]
Members
1,266 posts
10,060 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 12:02 AM, WhiteRecon said:

Great ship if you play it right, the HE really makes it shine.  Like all ships a Div or teamwork really create power.  I have one and have sunk a bunch of them, a Belfast running solo is easy pray if it pushes in too close.

It's fun to play sometimes, but I prefer Fiji hands down.

I concur with this entire post.

Members
1,957 posts
10,377 battles

Hey

It's interesting that for so long she was "Completely Broken", so OP and yet what do we see today, ships with Hydro, radar and some with smoke and some can even use 2 out of 3 of those at the same time and yet those are not considered broken or OP but just mere tools of the trade in today's meta.  Same goes for the Kutuzov which I also kept.  Let's make Belfast historical and give her torpedo's back. (like that's going to happen, but hey one can always wish and there isn't that many of them sailing around anymore).

Pete

• Cool 1