Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

What bote is this in the background of Dunkirk port?

16 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,626 posts
14,823 battles

Wait... you don't know? I am flabbergasted. I thought this was a quiz! :Smile_amazed:

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
17 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

image.thumb.png.0f2eae58ff94ac3e769a75555ebe25c4.png

Is that an Aigle in the purple box?

NO not Aigle she has for stacks, possible that French DD that was used in the Dunkirk operation

[SCCC]
[SCCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
99 posts
4,939 battles

Cant be an Aigle, theres 4 stacks on her, and that ship seems too... idk, small?

Could be a Chacal or a Bourrasque. Not my area of expertise though.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
15 hours ago, Khafni said:

Wait... you don't know? I am flabbergasted. I thought this was a quiz! :Smile_amazed:

Ha wish I knew.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,271 posts
3,613 battles

It kind of looks like a French cruiser but with three stacks to me.

Members
66 posts
4 minutes ago, Amgen said:

Cant be an Aigle, theres 4 stacks on her, and that ship seems too... idk, small?

Could be a Chacal or a Bourrasque. Not my area of expertise though.

Certainly a French contre-torpellieur, but I cannot determine which class. Chacal looks closest.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,271 posts
3,613 battles

The model actually fits with Cyclone, looking at the spacing between stacks.

GUqlufA.png

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,553 posts
2,090 battles

The fact she's got a heavy list to starboard doesn't exactly help things lol.

It's definitely not a Chacal-class, the funnel grouping is wrong. Thus, it has to be a torpilleur d'escadre of the Bourrasque or L'Adroit-class.

Normally, we'd be totally screwed at this point, as the L'Adroit's were simply modified Bourrasque's, and differ only in details revealed by a far closer, or side by side, comparison.

However, history saves us. Although two members of each class were lost off Dunkirk, the two Bourrasque's were both torpedoed, the name ship in fact losing her bow. 

Thus, it seems more likely that this ship is of the L'Adroit-class, either L'Adroit herself, or her sister Le Foudroyant.

Seeing as the name ship had her fore magazines blow in the wake of her loss, quite noticably creating a massive gap between her bridge and bow, I'm inclined to guess (without closer inspection) that this is the Le Foudroyant.

• Cool 1

Modder
1,181 posts

Looking through the game files I'll tell you that it is Bourrasque which makes sense given the context

ARhLG.png

17 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Thus, it seems more likely that this ship is of the L'Adroit-class, either L'Adroit herself, or her sister Le Foudroyant.

Bourrasque hit a mine, L'Adroit was the Destroyer who lost her bow.

Edited by zFireWyvern
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
7,553 posts
2,090 battles

Interesting... Bourrasque wasn't sunk at Dunkirk though, which makes this odd. She went down off Nieuport, in Belgium.

[HINON]
7,553 posts
2,090 battles
13 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

Looking through the game files I'll tell you that it is Bourrasque which makes sense given the context

ARhLG.png

Bourrasque hit a mine, L'Adroit was the Destroyer who lost her bow.

Of those lost off Dunkirk? Of the Bourrasque-class, two were lost, both to S-boats*. Cyclone had her bow blown off (she made it out, however, so that's my bad), while Siroco took two torpedoes aft, and then a bomb, and sank. I don't think she'd be as intact as that after such damage. The name ship itself was sunk off the coast of Belgium, so it wouldn't make sense that she'd be here (although as for the identity of this ship, obviously game files Trump historical likelihood).

*Edit - well, only one was lost to S-boats, the other escaped, although scuttled because she couldn't escape the fall of France due to the damage.

Modder
1,181 posts
2 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Of those lost off Dunkirk? Of the Bourrasque -class, two were lost, both to S-boats. Cyclone had her bow blown off (she made it out, however, so that's my bad), while Siroco took two torpedoes aft, and then a bomb, and sank. I don't think she'd be as intact as that after such damage. The name ship itself was sunk off the coast of Belgium, so it wouldn't make sense that she'd be here (although as for the identity of this ship, obviously game files Trump historical likelihood).

Bourrasque was still lost as part of Operation Dynamo and Nieuwpoort isn't too far away. Le Foudroyant wasn't sunk that close to where the wreck is ingame either, she was further out to sea and down the coast a little. For the sake of the port WG decided they wanted a wrecked destroyer and for whatever reason they picked Bourrasque.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,631 posts
15,896 battles

Now ... when do we get it in the game?

[HINON]
7,553 posts
2,090 battles
32 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Now ... when do we get it in the game?

Technically, it's already been done. The French destroyer used for the Dunkirk event was the Cyclone, which was a Bourrasque-class destroyer.

As far as seeing a line, however... a MN DD branch of some description is actually quite likely for 2019.

As of now, we've just finished off USN CLs, we're getting the last two 100mm IJN DDs for their line split, we've got RN DDs coming for what's likely a late summer/fall release, and then our last line of the year is RM cruisers. Thus, it's actually not unlikely that the first line of 2019 would be MN DDs, at that fits the typical release pattern.

That being said, Ru BBs are still floating around as a possibility, so they throw a bit of a wild card into the mix.

Sign in to follow this