Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DonKarnage2

Battle Cruisers

Which of these Four Battlecruisers (term used loosely) is the Best?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Four Battlecruisers (term used loosely) is the Best?

• Ashitaka
    • Dunkerque
    • Hood
    • Scharnhorst

14 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

For whatever reason, I play ARP Kongo much better than any other ship. Even the other ARP clones of it I have. In the, admittedly, tiny sample size since I don't play any of the Arpeggio's often here are the stats.

W/R: 100% (4 Wins in 4 Matches)
Ships Killed: 10 (2.5 K/M)
Planes Killed: 6 (1.5 K/M)
Avg. DMG: 58118.5
Avg. EXP: 1448.5 (at T5, remember)

Then, in the replay which is over in the Japanese Battleship Sub-Forum, which is the best game I've had in her:

DMG: 107003
Kills: 4
Exp: 2217

My overall stats in Battle Cruisers are also better than my averages in general:

55 Wins in 104 Matches (52.9% W/R)
65 Kills (0.63 K/M)
93 Planes Killed (0.89 K/M)
35515.8 Avg. DMG per Battle
28.3% MBH Ratio

Battle Cruiser Play style is what I do best...

So, aside from the Ishizuchi, Kongo, and the ARP Kongo (and clones) what are the other Battle Cruisers in the game right now? Note, Battle Cruisers, not FAST Battleships. There is a difference. I'm seeing Ashitaka and Hood and that's it. Am I missing any?

Edited by DonKarnage2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,252 posts
7,214 battles

You could consider Amagi as a Battlecruiser, and depending on who you ask Dunkerque as well.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,632 posts
15,896 battles
23 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

You could consider Amagi as a Battlecruiser, and depending on who you ask Dunkerque as well.

Dunkerque certainly has the lack of armor for it!

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
14 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Dunkerque certainly has the lack of armor for it!

But, does the Dunk have the speed and, more importantly, the maneuverability to make up for it?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,632 posts
15,896 battles
2 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

But, does the Dunk have the speed and, more importantly, the maneuverability to make up for it?

You'd have to ask a Dunk owner. I never hear players brag about her speed or maneuverability, but I do hear them complain about her armor. 

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

Should be an easy thing to look at without asking...

Dunk is faster and turns better than Kongo.

Dunk's guns look worse, with shorter range, less damage, and more dispersion than Kongo. But Dunk can stay bow on.

Can't find the armor stats in the wiki for Dunk.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,995 posts
9,304 battles
13 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Speed is 29.5 knots, with a bit more mobility than Scharn (that even if she isn't a battle cruiser, plays more like one to me). It also has that same 25 mm playe most BB's at the tier have and 225 mm on the main armour belt. She's no Arizona, but she cantake a beating well wnough, especially with all her firepower forward.

edit - 2 meters is not hat big a difference, and I think her shot grouping is better than Kongo, not sure of exact sigma though. 

Edited by WanderingGhost

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

Hmm... and with the Dubloons I already have she'd cost less than $15 to buy.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
867 posts
6,766 battles
17 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Hmm... and with the Dubloons I already have she'd cost less than $15 to buy.

Scharnhorst > Dunkerque....by a lot

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

So, Hood, Ashitaka, Scharnhorst, or Dunkerque... which one should I get for the Battlecruiser play-style?

Hood has the best speed of the bunch at 32 knots, but it has the worst turning radius even though, weirdly, it also has the fastest rudder shift.

Dunkerque has the tightest turn radius and all guns forward, making it easy to keep the lowest possible profile. But, it's also the slowest and possibly the least armored of the bunch, though being the only T6 offsets this.

Ashitaka isn't the best at anything, in terms of moving around and has the slowest rudder shift. But, I can also drop in a 10 pt. ARP Captain Teddy Bear and not have to grind up a Captain from the getgo.

Scharnhorst has torpedoes and... everyone that has it seems to love it. Same with the Derpitz.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles
1 hour ago, DonKarnage2 said:

So, Hood, Ashitaka, Scharnhorst, or Dunkerque... which one should I get for the Battlecruiser play-style?

Hood has the best speed of the bunch at 32 knots, but it has the worst turning radius even though, weirdly, it also has the fastest rudder shift.

Dunkerque has the tightest turn radius and all guns forward, making it easy to keep the lowest possible profile. But, it's also the slowest and possibly the least armored of the bunch, though being the only T6 offsets this.

Ashitaka isn't the best at anything, in terms of moving around and has the slowest rudder shift. But, I can also drop in a 10 pt. ARP Captain Teddy Bear and not have to grind up a Captain from the getgo.

Scharnhorst has torpedoes and... everyone that has it seems to love it. Same with the Derpitz.

Hood.  Hood is basically Kongo, but better. Faster, bigger guns, thicker armor.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles
Just now, DonKarnage2 said:

Let's simplify this and do things the Greek way... VOTE NOW!

Voted, but let me explain a bit here.  Scharnhorst will win the poll because it isn't going to be answered as anything other than "Which of these four ships is my favorite" by most people.  But that isn't what you're asking.  Scharnhorst's play style is fun, but it is very different than Kongo's.  Scharnhorst is a get in close, rely on tough armor and turtleback, torpedoes and secondaries brawler.  If that is what you want, go for it.  If you want a higher end Kongo style, then Hood is, by far, the best choice of the four.

Also, keep in mind that in a fight between Scharnhorst and Hood, both knowing how to play, Hood sinks Scharnhorst almost every time.  Hood's 15" guns can punch Scharnhorst's face in, or her [edited].  Hood is faster so Scharnhorst can neither close to torpedo range nor escape.  Hood's turret angles are excellent forwards and aft.  Personally I use a durability/anti-fire build on Hood (other than the rudder shift module) which for me makes Scharnhorst's who turn to HE in desperation easy as well.  Hood is very well armored against cruiser HE spam with fully armored sides and a substantial amount of deck that is 51mm thick.

Sign in to follow this