You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeltaHavoc

Dealing with tier 10

29 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
233 battles

How are you supposed to succeed or do well when uptiered in a tier 8 to tier 10? I understand that there are some really good players who can make it work. However, I can’t do anything in tier 10. It seems if I try to push I will get focused but if I camp  back I won’t be able to hit anything. Maybe play more passive? It just seems to be every man for themselves the higher the tier.

Edited by DeltaHavoc
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,783 posts
2 minutes ago, DeltaHavoc said:

How are you supposed to succeed or do well when uptiered in a tier 8 to tier 10? I understand that there are some really good players who can make it work. However, I can’t do anything in tier 10. It seems if I try to push I will get focused but if I camp  back I won’t be able to hit anything. Maybe play more passive? It just seems to be every man for themselves the higher the tier.

You only have 91 battles you shouldn’t even be playing in a tier 8 ship

• Cool 6

Members
16 posts
233 battles

This is not my main account. I have tier 8s on my other account however I mainly play below tier 8 on that account.

Edited by DeltaHavoc

Members
567 posts
80 battles

You have to play on average around 2000 games to understand enough of the mechanics to thrive at high tiers.  You have less than 100.  Don't beat yourself up over your struggles.  In a T8 BB shooting at T10 BBs, it's often more effective to shoot HE and light fires because a lot of your AP shells won't do much damage and sometimes none at all.  You also have a low survial rate at 36% so your instinct is correct.  You need to dial back the aggression a bit.  You went the German BB line which is tough because they are better suited for added damage from their secondaries, but getting that close at bottom tier is not the way to go.  When you're top tier, sure.

You have to find the T10 BBs on your team and run with them as support, ideally look up their performance history and make sure they aren't a window licker.

Most of the folks are going to tell you that based on your number of games played, you have no business in high tiers.  While they are right, you seem to be ahead of the curve in ability based on your play so far.  There are tons of mentally dysfunctional players in this community who have gone 8000+ battles and still can't break 100k avg damage in a T7 BB.

Just keep learning and join a guild of overall better players than you so you can continue to grow.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,417 posts
10,935 battles
14 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I call it, "The 3 'P's" of World of Warships".

Positioning - Place yourself somewhere, where you can contribute but arent putting yourself at significant risk of getting dev struck. Also always be thinking 2-3 steps ahead. If things get hot here, what are my escape and re positioning plans. etc etc

Patience - Knowing you have time left in the game, even down a ship or 2 you and your team can recover. Knowing if I wait this ship on the otherside of the rock out; he will make the first mistake and I will be able to capitalize on it. etc etc

Pushing - When numbers are on yourside or when the other flank is failing and you must apply some pressure on your flank. etc etc 

All of this comes with experience. 

Most higher tier players are more experienced players, who tend to understand when and how to apply these concepts.

Also Ill add the 2 other Ps. Profiting off potatoes. Is one of the results you will find once you understand them. 

I was going to say something but Hipster did a far better job than I could.

[H_]
Members
1,945 posts

Than real answer OP is that "your not..."  Tier 8's are the fillers because there just aren't enough Tier 10 or 9's to play a match....  And, the Tier 8's are easy points for the T10 "experts" to farm and that is why, nothing will change....

I've retired all of my Tier 9 and 10 ships.  They are not value added anymore.  Radar has negated their value to the point that those upper level matches aren't advanced naval warfare anymore because the Destroyers now have no roles or place in the order of battle...  In fact, most game are sniping events until one side gets the notion the other team can be NASCAR'd or rolled.  It's like watching land warfare in WW1.....

Im in favor of getting rid of the +/12 and replacing that with +/- 1 only if there are less than 50% same tier fill.  Playing 2 tiers down for me isn't too bad, but, I'd prefer Tier balance; instead of, the endless matches where I'm the only Tier 8 in a series of matches.  I'd like to be the T8 with tier 7's and 6's as well  --  to be fair.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
3,378 posts
16,230 battles
20 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

.  There are tons of mentally dysfunctional players in this community who have gone 8000+ battles and still can't break 100k avg damage in a T7 BB.

How many people are averaging over 100k damage in T7 BBs?

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
7 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

How many people are averaging over 100k damage in T7 BBs?

not many the 95th percentile is under 100K for all t7 bbs

[HEROS]
Members
1,827 posts
5,826 battles
23 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Aim better.

aim?

23 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

There are tons of mentally dysfunctional players in this community who have gone 8000+ battles and still can't break 100k avg damage in a T7 BB.

let's say you play a couple thousand battles learning the game, and your damage average is pretty low. if you ground your way up, some of the damage was earned in low tiers, which is going to be lower averages than higher tiers. once you have a lower damage average, it takes a major improvement to bring that average up.

at 3k battles, after playing DDs, CAs and some BBs, my average was very low. mentally dysfunctional low, under 30k. lately my average is approaching twice that, but my overall average is creeping up. slowly and painfully.

while I agree with your statement overall, I have no issue about being mentally dysfunctional, and a below average player in this game. you are somewhat offensive about the way you put it, which is also ok, I figure you really can't do better. not that it matters, am looking forward to seeing you in battle :o)  

spud

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,301 battles
38 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

There are tons of mentally dysfunctional players in this community who have gone 8000+ battles and still can't break 100k avg damage in a T7 BB.

If under 100k avg in a T7 is 'Mentally dysfunctional'...

Well then golly might as well call me a vegetable lol

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

The thing is you have to accept that you are probably not going to carry the team.  You need to out perform the enemy tier 8s.  As a DD you can play normally but just avoid gunfights since higher tier DDs of basically all nations will out DPS you.  As a cruiser either get to an island near a capture area where friendly ships are headed (American/British) or head to the weakest flank and be as big a distraction as you can while kiting away (French/Japanese/sometimes German) and spamming anything near you.  As a BB you can actually do the same thing.  I don't know how many times I have been chased to the map border by higher tier ships.  This typically has the advantage (if you position correctly) of creating a crossfire with your more centrally located higher tier BBs.  Then either you or they can get good salvos while you are the only one at risk (which is fine you are bottom tier anyways).

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,274 posts
7,219 battles
50 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

I assume that makes me a potato then...

Kx9OqVe.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

ATTENTION:

If you are drinking this holiday, please let someone else reply to messages for you.

Thank You.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,868 battles
16 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

That includes you, VGLance. None of your T7 BBs are averaging over 100K, not even close. Surely you mean T10, not T7. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,644 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

There are tons of mentally dysfunctional players in this community who have gone 8000+ battles in a BB.

Fixed that for ya ... who the hell plays BBs? I play ships that are exciting and fun.

Members
567 posts
80 battles
56 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

aim?

let's say you play a couple thousand battles learning the game, and your damage average is pretty low. if you ground your way up, some of the damage was earned in low tiers, which is going to be lower averages than higher tiers. once you have a lower damage average, it takes a major improvement to bring that average up.

at 3k battles, after playing DDs, CAs and some BBs, my average was very low. mentally dysfunctional low, under 30k. lately my average is approaching twice that, but my overall average is creeping up. slowly and painfully.

while I agree with your statement overall, I have no issue about being mentally dysfunctional, and a below average player in this game. you are somewhat offensive about the way you put it, which is also ok, I figure you really can't do better. not that it matters, am looking forward to seeing you in battle :o)  

spud

I said specifically T7 BBs, not the accumulated average damage of all the prior tiers which brings down your average overall damage which has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Members
567 posts
80 battles
45 minutes ago, _Pixi_ said:

If under 100k avg in a T7 is 'Mentally dysfunctional'...

Well then golly might as well call me a vegetable lol

You only have a little over 3000 battles played.  Notice you took what I said out of context.  You conveniently removed the part where I said 8000+ battles played.  Come back when you have that many battles and we'll se how much further you progressed through the learning curve. 

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,470 battles

play a dd it can be fun blind fire torps into a cap and take out a khab in my kag. Or baiting(bad positioning) radar and wasd hacking getting 1/2 mil in pot dmg in the first 3 min. T8 in t10 battles often die but often fun

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,274 posts
7,219 battles
8 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Another person that seems to not comprehend what 8000+ battles means.

Who says I am not in possession of an alt account, you know, like someone else in this thread? Oops...

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
1 hour ago, DeltaHavoc said:

Its the exact opposite of "every man for themselves". I personally don't like the +2/-2 at T8, I think it drives new players away from the game, but at T10(or uptiered T8) the "solo" boat gets vaporize by 2 or 3 Red boats, don't be that solo boat, it's a team game, if youre in a DD, you need to spot boats that the cruiser and BB's can hit, if youre in a BB you need to be able to hit the boats the DD spots, if you on a cruiser you need to be in the middle somewhere. 

[-VT-]
Members
347 posts
6,865 battles
2 hours ago, DeltaHavoc said:

How are you supposed to succeed or do well when uptiered in a tier 8 to tier 10? I

First of all, how's your aim? you need to have a perfect aim, at least decent, to play in T8/T10, in other words, don't miss!