ADM_Zakk_Zero

Starting recently some sounds are too loud! Please add additional volume controls.

3 comments in this topic

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

I don't know exactly when it happened, but recently there must have been a change from an update regarding the volume in the game. Roughly a few months ago I found myself having to fight with the the audio settings for the first time in years. The music at the battle results screen, explosions when my ship or a nearby ship is sunk, and torpedo hits are disproportionately loud compared to all other sounds. When I set the sound effects volume to just above zero, yet have all my other settings (other than in battle music) set much higher, the explosions, torp hits, and battle results music are still easily 4 to 5 times louder than even when firing main artillery. Despite fiddling with all possible setting combinations I no longer can find a balance that fixes this. Seasoned players have even come over to help get the settings straight and they, too, were mystified at the volume disparity and found no solution. In order to make sure my neighbors whose house is 30 feet away from mine (literally- they laugh and text me every time I blow up, take a torp hit, or a battle ends)I have to turn the sound so low I can't hear engine sounds, in-battle voice messages from my captain or other players, and ambient sounds. I've been using the same sound system for over 2 years and never once needed to adjust it until recently. 

I can only assume that a more recent update something was changed. Regardless of why, in the end it seems like it would be wise to add additional volume controls specifically for the battle results music, explosions, and torp hits just as there is for gunfire and voice announcements. Either that, or turn down all three volumes compared to the other sounds.

Members
3,783 posts
31 minutes ago, ADM_Zakk_Zero said:

I don't know exactly when it happened, but recently there must have been a change from an update regarding the volume in the game. Roughly a few months ago I found myself having to fight with the the audio settings for the first time in years. The music at the battle results screen, explosions when my ship or a nearby ship is sunk, and torpedo hits are disproportionately loud compared to all other sounds. When I set the sound effects volume to just above zero, yet have all my other settings (other than in battle music) set much higher, the explosions, torp hits, and battle results music are still easily 4 to 5 times louder than even when firing main artillery. Despite fiddling with all possible setting combinations I no longer can find a balance that fixes this. Seasoned players have even come over to help get the settings straight and they, too, were mystified at the volume disparity and found no solution. In order to make sure my neighbors whose house is 30 feet away from mine (literally- they laugh and text me every time I blow up, take a torp hit, or a battle ends)I have to turn the sound so low I can't hear engine sounds, in-battle voice messages from my captain or other players, and ambient sounds. I've been using the same sound system for over 2 years and never once needed to adjust it until recently. 

I can only assume that a more recent update something was changed. Regardless of why, in the end it seems like it would be wise to add additional volume controls specifically for the battle results music, explosions, and torp hits just as there is for gunfire and voice announcements. Either that, or turn down all three volumes compared to the other sounds.

You can adjust the sound in the audio settings of each individual parameter including the sound of gunfire :cap_fainting:

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

What I meant was that sounds other than gunfire are an issue. Here's a screenshot of my settings:

12MU0xR.jpg

At issue is the SFX volume setting controls the sounds I am concerned about being too loud, but that also controls other sounds that I don't want muted. I have that set just barely above 0/sound SFX off. That volume setting makes the explosions, music, and torp hits minimal, but completely mutes all the other sounds. If I turn in up any louder -even just a little bit, just enough to show a bit of green line to the left of it- all of those sounds are much louder than even gunfire, which makes no sense because I have the gunfire level set much louder. If I then turn the game general volume down, or turn my computer volume or speakers down, I can't here anything at all other than the explosions, hits, and battle result music.  It was never like that until more recently. Regardless of why, it just seems like it would be appropriate to have a separate volume toggle for those 3 sounds.

***UPDATE*** I had some game freeze up issues when switching between screens in port with this most recent 7 7 1 public test, so I uninstalled both live and PT clients from computer, installed the Game Center app with live version built in, and then installed PT by ID. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but now the same volume settings generate a MUCH different balance. I suspect there must be some advantage to using Game Center rather than the old fashioned standalone game.  It also solve all the slow loading screen issues in port.   

I still think it would be a great idea to have separate volume controls for each feature like explosions, torp hits, and battle results music. 

Edited by ADM_Zakk_Zero
Update