Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

HMS Sirius

8 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I believe she'd make a good Tier 7 premium cruiser because she's basically a British Atlanta, and the Atlanta's quite interesting / fun. When do you think she'll make it into the game, if she ever will? She'll have pretty much the same playstyle as Atlanta / Flint so those familiar with Atlanta / Flint won't have any trouble adjusting. She'll be lighter than the Atlanta / Flint which means less HP, but with improved acceleration / deceleration because she's an RN cruiser. She'll have HE for sure, with possibly 1% higher fire chance than the Atlanta due to a slightly larger caliber gun (5.25 vs 5.0 inches).

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
327 posts
4,955 battles
5 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I believe she'd make a good Tier 7 premium cruiser because she's basically a British Atlanta, and the Atlanta's quite interesting / fun. When do you think she'll make it into the game, if she ever will? She'll have pretty much the same playstyle as Atlanta / Flint so those familiar with Atlanta / Flint won't have any trouble adjusting. She'll be lighter than the Atlanta / Flint which means less HP, but with improved acceleration / deceleration because she's an RN cruiser. She'll have HE for sure, with possibly 1% higher fire chance than the Atlanta due to a slightly larger caliber gun (5.25 vs 5.0 inches).

She has 3 turrets less than Atlanta with slower firing guns that were historically not that good at engaging aircraft. She would be better placed at Tier VI with the Standard RN Heal/Hydro/Smoke combo, her play style wouldn't be all that much different from Leander.

Edited by Monty9185

[PVE]
Members
669 posts
5,705 battles
14 minutes ago, Monty9185 said:

She has 3 turrets less than Atlanta with slower firing guns that were historically not that good at engaging aircraft. She would be better placed at Tier VI with the Standard RN Heal/Hydro/Smoke combo, her play style wouldn't be all that much different from Leander.

Sold!

We need a premium RN CL again and this sounds pretty good to me. Just make it one if her later refits with 10x2 guns.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,527 posts
11,524 battles
17 hours ago, Monty9185 said:

All big problems, and worse than historic weaknesses they're poorly reflected in-game.

With 5 of the same turrets as KGV the Sirius would generate just 40.5 DPS at 4.5km. That compares pretty poorly to the Dallas (46.2 DPS at 5km) let alone the Atlanta (120.8 at 5km).

I don't think it's necessarily fair that the 5.25in which throws a heavier shell to a higher AA ceiling gets short range, and whatever the shortcomings the 5in/50 on the Shimakaze is somehow awarded 10 DPS on a hand-traversed mount.

As an anti-ship gun it's a bit trapped. It has the hitting power of a destroyer gun in some ways - 1,900 HE damage as a secondary, and it can only get up to 28mm of HE penetration with IFHE which is ok on cruisers but not on 32mm T8+ BB's, but in game so far it's been graced with 9 RPM which is little better than cruiser rate of fire, and lower than say Nurnburg. It will benefit from EM/BFT/AFT, but the traverse isn't as good as Atlanta and I don't know if you'll want AFT on the main guns.

The hull is about T5 overall - thanks in part to WG's system - but with the right gimmicks of heal/hydro/smoke she can scrape into T6.

Edited by mofton

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Wow, this doesn't look promising at all. I was expecting the Dido class at Tier 7 to be Atlanta-like, because I do enjoy the Atlanta and would like this play style on ships other than Atlanta / Flint (I don't have the latter) and the USN light cruisers (Helena is a ship babe). Perhaps Atlanta / Flint are destined to be unique, and therefore lonely. 

What about the Bellona subclass? How would one of them fit as a Tier 7 premium?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,527 posts
11,524 battles
8 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Wow, this doesn't look promising at all. I was expecting the Dido class at Tier 7 to be Atlanta-like, because I do enjoy the Atlanta and would like this play style on ships other than Atlanta / Flint (I don't have the latter) and the USN light cruisers (Helena is a ship babe). Perhaps Atlanta / Flint are destined to be unique, and therefore lonely. 

What about the Bellona subclass? How would one of them fit as a Tier 7 premium?

Well, you could summarize the Bellona as an 8-gun version of the 10-gun Dido, so... not very well!

The Dido has some pretty superficial similarities to the Atlanta, but while Atlanta's a destroyer leader Dido is more of a traditional cruiser that just has smaller than normal guns that happen to be dual purpose.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
On 06/07/2018 at 2:47 PM, mofton said:

Well, you could summarize the Bellona as an 8-gun version of the 10-gun Dido, so... not very well!

The Dido has some pretty superficial similarities to the Atlanta, but while Atlanta's a destroyer leader Dido is more of a traditional cruiser that just has smaller than normal guns that happen to be dual purpose.

Yeah sadly with the stats they've given the 5.25" they'd struggle at t6 even with gimmicks. There are not Russian railguns. Though they are at least better than usn 5".

Sign in to follow this