You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Team or me?

12 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,705 posts
9,439 battles

After a 3-13 run earlier, yeah, snorted a bit about having horrid teams. Sniping BBs, CAs unwilling to take potential damage so my MO gets spared some 10K of AP damage, DDs staying away from caps all match, and being aggressive often leading back to port in seconds. Ugh!

Reading Stoggy-guy's thread--I had a good laugh at how he insisted the problem could only be the team, never him, and ignored anyone pointing this out--I remember seeing in some of my losses, I'd place within top 5, and in others, in bottom half just off base XP, usually because my team melted before I could do much damage, and a few rare times my well-aimed AP volley just missed.

So what's the standard you use for measuring if you pulled your weight. I typically rely on base XP. Tier # x 100 (110 if it's a ship I know well), and if do, say, below 1200 in Taiho, feels like didn't pull my weight. Generally speaking, if I place 1000 base XP (T5-7) or 1200 (T8-10), probably pulled my weight. Course, there are matches where it ends too soon and highest XP is like 800 (enemy team's best is ~350), but that's my general rule of thumb.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles

Base XP at the match results page is typically a decent indicator on who's doing the proper amount of pulling.  But sometimes that can get inflated by gaming the system.  The most important part is you don't want to be one of the guys sitting at the bottom portion of the Team Scores page.

But you as a player should be able to honestly tell if you were a boost to a team despite a loss, or another non-factor, or worse, a detriment.  It's very easy to blame others real quickly, but you need to look at yourself first truthfully.  I can look at my performance a little while after a match, settle down a bit, and realize whether I was any good or not, win or lose.  You should be able to quickly think back and tell, "That was a dumb move on my part which led to X & Y happening towards our loss."

On the flip side is being on the winning side.  Were you really doing anything useful or were you riding on the coattails of better players.  Yesterday alone, I vividly recall one of my Worcester wins.  I hardly did anything, yet some guys hard carried the team to victory.  I felt I didn't earn those victory rewards despite breaking a decent 1k base score.  I was just farming damage, didn't do anything to help the DDs, help the caps, etc.

Match stats won't readily tell you that stuff.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,560 posts
9,429 battles

Sometimes it is easy to tell.  If I am in my Fiji or Perth at a good choke point and die early from a foolish mistake, the results are obvious to me.  On occasion, the team pulls the win off in spite of my death.  Most times, though, I can watch the ships I could have delayed or diverted pour into a flank wreak havoc.  With other ships, I look to my place on the leaderboard, as other posters have mentioned.  When I start to wonder is when I have an extremely bad performance and end up top, or in the top two or three...

[STW-M]
Members
2,931 posts
6,969 battles

I believe a victory gives something like 50% more base xp than a loss, so I personally just multiply the losing team's base xp by 1.5 to see how close the entire match was as well as how well each individual player did.

Of course, there are still sometimes blatant potatoes like those who earn double-digit base xp.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,705 posts
9,439 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Base XP at the match results page is typically a decent indicator on who's doing the proper amount of pulling.  But sometimes that can get inflated by gaming the system.  The most important part is you don't want to be one of the guys sitting at the bottom portion of the Team Scores page.

But you as a player should be able to honestly tell if you were a boost to a team despite a loss, or another non-factor, or worse, a detriment.  It's very easy to blame others real quickly, but you need to look at yourself first truthfully.  I can look at my performance a little while after a match, settle down a bit, and realize whether I was any good or not, win or lose.  You should be able to quickly think back and tell, "That was a dumb move on my part which led to X & Y happening towards our loss."

On the flip side is being on the winning side.  Were you really doing anything useful or were you riding on the coattails of better players.  Yesterday alone, I vividly recall one of my Worcester wins.  I hardly did anything, yet some guys hard carried the team to victory.  I felt I didn't earn those victory rewards despite breaking a decent 1k base score.  I was just farming damage, didn't do anything to help the DDs, help the caps, etc.

Match stats won't readily tell you that stuff.

Yeah, and when it's a slaughter I tend not to care as much about base XP. Just came off a loss in Cleveland where I placed 3rd w/ only 593 base XP, only 2 outscored me, and top was an Alsace that waited for everyone else to die first. In that case, the Alsace was a horrid player, and I couldn't do much in a cruiser being uptiered.

Members
2,054 posts
509 battles

you just HAD to say his name.... NOW we are going to have to listen to all that [edited] again, ...
I JUST logged out after going 8-1 in DDs no less.....

You're a good player, I have played with you many times....
WHY would you do this...??

its a HOLIDAY,... its like a Saturday.... in the SUMMER no less.....

67GqeO2.gif

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
2,054 posts
509 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

After a 3-13 run earlier, yeah, snorted a bit about having horrid teams. Sniping BBs, CAs unwilling to take potential damage so my MO gets spared some 10K of AP damage, DDs staying away from caps all match, and being aggressive often leading back to port in seconds. Ugh!

Reading Stoggy-guy's thread--I had a good laugh at how he insisted the problem could only be the team, never him, and ignored anyone pointing this out--I remember seeing in some of my losses, I'd place within top 5, and in others, in bottom half just off base XP, usually because my team melted before I could do much damage, and a few rare times my well-aimed AP volley just missed.

So what's the standard you use for measuring if you pulled your weight. I typically rely on base XP. Tier # x 100 (110 if it's a ship I know well), and if do, say, below 1200 in Taiho, feels like didn't pull my weight. Generally speaking, if I place 1000 base XP (T5-7) or 1200 (T8-10), probably pulled my weight. Course, there are matches where it ends too soon and highest XP is like 800 (enemy team's best is ~350), but that's my general rule of thumb.

you fight until the fight is over...
You fight until there is no fight left in you.... and then you fight harder... 
You fight until the battle is won... and if you lose, YOU KEEP FIGHTING...

you never give up... you never surrender...
and you blame your team... LOL

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

As mediocre as I am... I only have a W/R of 50%+ on CV's, and then only just barely, I consider that I pulled my weight if I am in the top half of my team on base XP and, in games like I had with my ARP Kongo earlier today before going to work, I consider that I did well more than my fair share if I'm up there.

ARP Kongou Smiles Upon Me

image.thumb.png.989dc8516f8bcd7aa6423d291f072248.png

[YORHA]
Members
4,008 posts
6,970 battles

I'm old school.  If I remove more than my HP from play AND at least 1 kill I feel like I contributed.  Not carried.... contributed.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,524 posts
7,983 battles

^^^ I too use damage output vs my HP as an indicator that I at least pulled my weight.

Members
567 posts
80 battles
4 hours ago, Reymu said:

Measuring if you pulled your weight depends on too many factors.  If 7+ players on your team sabotaged the match by dying before 5 minutes, you're not going to last long enough to do enough damage to score a decent amount of base xp.  If you're objective minded enough, you can just tell if you did your 1/12 of your responsibility.  I generally don't think about a single game because even the greatest players in the game have a brain fart and derp themselves to the bottom of the sea.

I wish WG would add average place finish statistic.  Yes there are those really oddball matches where there may only be 5 players a side, although I can't remember the last time I played that it wasn't a 12 vs 12, so maybe they fixed that permanently.  Either way, it happens so infrequently, it wouldn't impact the metric.  That stat would be one of the greatest eye-openers as far as where a player rates performance-wise.  And it would help you to know just how well you are carrying your weight relative to the rest of the player base.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

Yeah, and when it's a slaughter I tend not to care as much about base XP. Just came off a loss in Cleveland where I placed 3rd w/ only 593 base XP, only 2 outscored me, and top was an Alsace that waited for everyone else to die first. In that case, the Alsace was a horrid player, and I couldn't do much in a cruiser being uptiered.

You got over 7k matches under your belt.  You've seen some horrendous play, bad match decisions.  Just as long as you are not one of "those guys" then you're fine.  And yes, there are teams that bad.  I've had games where I've only done something awful like 18k in a high tier Cruiser or Battleship, and I was Top 3 in the losing team.