You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ju87s

"Pronounced 'Wooster'"

99 comments in this topic

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,738 battles

No, it's not, WG. It's Wuh-ster. Wanna go MA accent on the thing? Then it's Wuh-stah. There's no "Woo" sound in it.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles
8 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

No, it's not, WG. It's Wuh-ster. Wanna go MA accent on the thing? Then it's Wuh-stah. There's no "Woo" sound in it.

I remember JFK called Cuba "Cuber". How ya get to that?  Is that common in Mass? In SW Ohio where I live we call it Ohia. 

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,738 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I remember JFK called Cuba "Cuber". How ya get to that?  Is that common in Mass? In SW Ohio where I live we call it Ohia. 

Sometimes people pronounce something with the "ah" sound as "er," like "I have no idear."

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Worchester aint the only town name that the Yankees mis-pronounce. When I was in the USAF, I  heard many a resident of "Ma-chusset" call that big seaport city in the state "Baston".

How in the blazes does one get "Wuh-ster" out of something spelled Worcester? :Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles

War-ces-ter. Say it right! :Smile_teethhappy:

1 minute ago, ReddNekk said:

Worchester aint the only town name that the Yankees mis-pronounce. When I was in the USAF, I  heard many a resident of "Ma-chusset" call that big seaport city in the state "Baston".

How in the blazes does one get "Wuh-ster" out of something spelled Worcester? :Smile_facepalm:

:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF9]
Members
8,789 posts
4,145 battles
30 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I'm from Rhode Island.  There's a Worchester, RI, too.  We pronounced it "Wooster", though not with the long "oo" as in "rooster"; more with a short "oo".  I have my mother's neutral midwest accent so pronounce the 'r'.  Those with a heavy NE accent forget about it.  "Wuhstah" is probably South Bahstan or something.  There used to be regional differences in the New England accents.  Now they're all starting to sound like Brooklyn.

Edited by iDuckman

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
64 posts
5,633 battles

Born and raised in Wistah, this man is correct.

• Cool 2

Members
5,360 posts
6,097 battles

I just pronounce it as it's spelled, like I was taught in phonics. So, Worcester(Worce, pronounced like force or horse just with a 'W', then -ster).

May not be the "proper" pronunciation, but again, that's the sounds the letters make.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
48 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I agree that it's not "woo-ster".  I phonetically spell it more like "wuss-tah".  And I'm fairly local, being a lifelong New England resident.

Just remember to "pahk your cah in Hahvahd Yahd".

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles

I'm just amazed how something spelled "Worcester" is pronounced nothing at all like what the spelling goes.  I'm curious to know what English language convention leads to Wooster, Wistah, or whatever the hell it is.

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
64 posts
5,633 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'm just amazed how something spelled "Worcester" is pronounced nothing at all like what the spelling goes.  I'm curious to know what English language convention leads to Wooster, Wistah, or whatever the hell it is.

Have you read the rest of English?  It's all pretty whack.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
25 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

How do people get "Warshington" out of "Washington"?  Or "warsh" (your cloths) out of "wash".  Or "scallops", where the 'all' is pronounced like 'ALbert", rather than 'all' as in "wall", "call", "stall", "ball", "fall", "hall", or "mall"?

But there are many Mass town and city names that are pronounced oddly.  Like "Leicester", which is pronounced more like "Lester".  Or worse, "Haverhill" which is pronounced more like "Hayv-rill" (and almost like it's a single syllable... Hayvrill).  Or Gloucester, which is pronounced "Gloss-tah".

Regardless, New Englanders don't have a corner on oddly pronounced names and words. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You think that these are bad, you should look at the spellings and pronunciations of Welsh and Irish and other non-English UK languages.