You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Do we want a Dunkerque buff?

40 comments in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

Well, those of us that have love her..despite her faults... I'm gonna summon @Sventex since he has more games in her, and has posted videos on her. 

Now, she does many things well, and I have had some killer games in her. If you are top Tier, you can pass out the pain:

MBpl4W4.jpg

BUT since I've gotten her, lots of other ships have been added to the game. The Mutsu, all the RN BBs, and now her French cousins... The meta has changed a ton to I think, so is it time for a wee buff? My thoughts, and ideas:

Armor:

Yeah, I know she is a battlecruiser, not a true BB. Great, but getting overmatched by all the red BBs suck. Yes, you can kite, use cover etc, but that only goes so far. Several people have brought up the fact that the Stasbourg had better side armor..which would help, but if you get get broadside to a red BB, you get what you get...

What about her nose? They did it for the Moskva....this would reward captains that angle to the bigger gunned BBs, and not get citadeled right through yer nose...

Another idea would be spaced armor like the CAs...that would help with all the HE damage. Yeah, I know more work...but that would help I think...

AA:

Of all the times I had a bad game in her, I think a CV has been behind it about 50% of the time. Everyone and their mom knows her AA sucks, and you get used as a punching bag for planes. Not fun. 

Fictional refit in the USA? Loose a couple secondary turrets for more AA guns? 

Maneuverability:

She has good speed as is...but what about speed boost? It would help you get out of trouble if you bite off more than you can chew... (I do this a ton, LOL)

Guns: 

Sometimes, you seem to be slinging citadels left and right, then next salvo goes haywire. Now, I know they are not gonna buff her sigma... BUT what about the reload booster that her big sister is gonna get? If that not, a ROF buff? Nothing crazy, but with the smaller guns and "special" sigma, maybe this is needed? 

Stealth: 

It sucks, LOL. Now, I know they go by the height of her mast, etc, but again, this could be a fictional refit, and you wouldn't get out spotted by...everything other than the Fuso...

Now, I'm not saying do all this...she would be OP AF. But maybe one of these? 

Thoughts? 

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,322 posts

She could use some tweeks now that the rest of the Marine Nationale battleships have arrived

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,408 posts
7,334 battles

I would not touch the armor, or the AA for that matter. Both I think are fine at the moment. The one thing I would find reasonable would be increasing sigma from the current 1.7 to 1.8. If it is just enough, then all fine, if she needs more, you can still increase it to 1.9. But nothing‘s worse than buffing her too much now, and then having an overperforming ship that you can no longer nerf.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

Alright...looks like "gun buff" is winning so far...A biff to the sigma would put more shells per salvo on target, which is always nice, but lets face it, most these French BBs have a meh sigma... 

But a ROF buff would put more shells in the air per min...more times to pray to RNG. 

Not sure which one I would want.... 

[HUNGS]
Members
1,659 posts
3,603 battles

I have no issues with her and enjoy her as she is but I would not complain about a buff. Maybe up her bow armor to 27mm or a sigma buff 

• Cool 1

Members
1,889 posts
9,812 battles

Hey

I think the Dunkerque could use a slight buff to her sigma, or at least make the guns more consistent from shot to shot, also a buff to the detection range would be warranted.

Pete

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

Eh, I'd say a gun buff if anything, but mine works for me just fine. Of course maybe they could retroactively give her the line's gimmick speed boost for extra lols.

[SPTR]
Members
26,568 posts
12,505 battles

I find the Dunkerque to be still capable of pulling her weight over the months we gotten new ships in her mm tier range. I play her mostly as a hold the corridor bow tanker then kite away if the flank is out of hand or push angle brawl if I have the advantage. /^_\\

the only issue I have is fighting at 16+ kms... /;^_\\

dispersion area is a huge vertical oval caused by the fast shells so like others that commented before me here on this thread I welcome a main battery sigma buff to something like 1.9 or a reload buff down to 26 seconds for accuracy from volume fire.

[OVO]
Beta Testers
30 posts
4,055 battles

I have 2 kraken from this ship. Numerous dreadnaught. I guess i met potatos every time when i m on this ship? I also protect my broadside with an island, best armor on earth. Lol

[ANKER]
Members
240 posts
4,558 battles
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, SireneRacker said:

I would not touch the armor, or the AA for that matter. Both I think are fine at the moment. The one thing I would find reasonable would be increasing sigma from the current 1.7 to 1.8. If it is just enough, then all fine, if she needs more, you can still increase it to 1.9. But nothing‘s worse than buffing her too much now, and then having an overperforming ship that you can no longer nerf.

What about 1.7->1.8 
+ Spoodbeast consumable? 
She's literally Mini-Richelieu
It'd be pretty neat IMO. I haven't bought Dunkerque yet, but my Richelieu has become my favorite T8 ship to play, and that alone has started convincing me to buy the Dunkerque. 

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,408 posts
7,334 battles
9 hours ago, Seniorious said:

What about 1.7->1.8 
+ Spoodbeast consumable? 
She's literally Mini-Richelieu
It'd be pretty neat IMO. I haven't bought Dunkerque yet, but my Richelieu has become my favorite T8 ship to play, and that alone has started convincing me to buy the Dunkerque. 

I personally don‘t think that she really needs a speed boost. I would rather like to see them applying fixes where they are truly needed, in Dunkerque‘s case, with her accuracy.

[ANKER]
Members
240 posts
4,558 battles
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, SireneRacker said:

I personally don‘t think that she really needs a speed boost. I would rather like to see them applying fixes where they are truly needed, in Dunkerque‘s case, with her accuracy.

Though from WG's perspective, Dunk probably needs no buffs.  According to the pages, she's one of the best performing battleships. Infact she's 3rd on WR and 4th on Avg Dmg according to wows-numbers. Arizona is an obvious leader because ridiculous sigma on 12x 356mm, Normandie at 2nd is a bit too new but she is a decent ship.
She compares somewhat favorably with Warspite too, she's 200k games down because of age difference, but by this point it's unlikely her stats will drop much. 
If they ever buffed Dunk, they'd write "Changed sigma 1.7->1.8  - This change was made to make the gunnery of Dunkerque more comfortable for players"
Not that it was exactly necessary, but people really really wanted it a bit better.

Members
82 posts
4,228 battles

She's a fun ship, but it's close to Russian roulette with her accuracy. The first salvo is dead on target, second is too high, the third is a bit wide and short, and the fourth is a mix of the previous three.  An accuracy buff would be welcome but if anything it would be nice to see what happens if you mix in the reload booster so as to have something close to the dpm that is the Normandie.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,659 posts
3,603 battles
1 hour ago, American_Ace_96 said:

She's a fun ship, but it's close to Russian roulette with her accuracy. The first salvo is dead on target, second is too high, the third is a bit wide and short, and the fourth is a mix of the previous three.  An accuracy buff would be welcome but if anything it would be nice to see what happens if you mix in the reload booster so as to have something close to the dpm that is the Normandie.

Don't forget the occasional god like grouping that allows you to delete a full health cruiser from across the map which is why you keep coming back to the ship

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
96 posts
1,910 battles

Just got the ol' Dunkie from a Santa box.  Enjoying it immensely, mostly because of how differently it plays from every other BB that I have (yes I know there are other BB with all guns forward, but I don't have any of them).     

I don't mind the squishyness, she is a battle cruiser after all, but the battle cruiser speed really doesn't really do much to counter act that due to her size, terrible turning radius, and the fact that you can't kite.  Still, even though she a blast to play it's difficult to have a really good game for a few reason, mostly reload and dispersion.   I think a reload of 25 seconds and a nice dispersion buff would do it.  Keep her squishy and detectable and make her all an offense YOLO monster.

Edited by Professor_Jumbo
  • Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Dispersion buff would be all that's "needed", I think. Honestly, she's fine as she is.

I agree with this. IMHO, Dunk is overall good as she is except for the wonky shell dispersion.