Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

Royal Navy Light Cruisers: Information For The Win

RN CLs and IFA  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use IFA on your tech tree RN CLs?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't play the line
    • I don't know, but let me check
  2. 2. After reading my post, WOULD you CONSIDER using IFA on your RN CLs?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't play the line
    • Not sure/can't make up my mind

6 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles

(important: answer the first question of the poll, AND THE FIRST QUESTION ONLY, before you read the rest of this post)

I'm on Emerald right now(don't judge me), but I liked Danae as well. I remember thinking in the Danae "this would be a great ship, if only it had smoke" Smoke makes Emerald able to stay near the front line without constantly having to dodge shells that even if you only screw up just a little bit, and only once, will delete you.

Back to theorycrafting. I didn't like Caledon for 2 reasons: first, Tier III BBs have almost no superstructure to speak of, and 2, I was always getting deleted. But then I grinded out of Caledon and into Danae. I then decided "hey, you know what? Incoming Fire Alert is super cheap, and gets zero love. Why don't I take it and see if it'll help any?" So I took it, and all the sudden I wasn't getting deleted with the same regularity as I was in the Caledon. (BTW, PT was the first thing I got on Caledon. I'm not so dumb as to take the garbage PM over it) Then I got to thinking: if it has that effect on Danae's survivability, what about Emerald's? So far with Emerald, it's proving quite helpful. It lets me know when to dodge, and combined with PT, I always know how many ships are shooting at me, and most of the time when as well. I wouldn't say it makes Emerald any better, but it makes her a lot easier to sail without dying constantly, so I survive longer.

Now to the theory: RN CLs really are the type that need as much UI info as possible. Once I have 15 skill points(I have 6 at the moment, and Priority Target, Incoming Fire Alert, Last Stand, and once I get to 7 points, Superintendent; for my skills) I will also pick up Radio Location, as I have the feeling that it will greatly boost the anti-DD power of Leander on up.

Honestly, every single RN CL could really benefit from a combination of PT and IFA, because they all have super vulnerable citadels, and knowing how many ships are firing at you and sometimes knowing even exactly when they fire, when you are super fragile, is invaluable. 

what do you think? 

(NOW answer the second question of the poll.)

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles

Hello? Where is everybody? No one's interested in discussing RN CLs? Seriously?

[RLGN]
Members
10,049 posts
19,462 battles
41 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Hello? Where is everybody? No one's interested in discussing RN CLs? Seriously?

Beyond the fact I personally(*) consider everything past Emerald to be worthless garbage? No.

I’m not sure if I’ve taken IFA as a skill since PT became one... I know I still have it on some captains that haven’t been respeced in a long time though.

PT is considered by some to be a substitute for IFA when a captain has few skill points to spread around. If you’re spotted but not targeted, it’s safe to keep being reckless. When a number pops up, time to star dancing.

(*) I know the RN lights are good and can be really mean; but I’ve never been able to get anything beyond Emerald to work. For me ‘personally,’ that makes them useless junk.

Beginning with Leander, I couldn’t get the SAP to deliver results, no matter what part of a target I fired at.

’Hate’ is too mild a word to describe how I feel about Leander, (odd, considering I like Perth.)

I briefly relented a tried Fiji and Eddy, but whe they failed just as badly as Leander to deliver useful results, I sold all three without regret.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Beyond the fact I personally(*) consider everything past Emerald to be worthless garbage? No.

I’m not sure if I’ve taken IFA as a skill since PT became one... I know I still have it on some captains that haven’t been respeced in a long time though.

PT is considered by some to be a substitute for IFA when a captain has few skill points to spread around. If you’re spotted but not targeted, it’s safe to keep being reckless. When a number pops up, time to star dancing.

(*) I know the RN lights are good and can be really mean; but I’ve never been able to get anything beyond Emerald to work. For me ‘personally,’ that makes them useless junk.

Beginning with Leander, I couldn’t get the SAP to deliver results, no matter what part of a target I fired at.

’Hate’ is too mild a word to describe how I feel about Leander, (odd, considering I like Perth.)

I briefly relented a tried Fiji and Eddy, but whe they failed just as badly as Leander to deliver useful results, I sold all three without regret.

I totally understand..The RN CLs are just plain difficult, and it requires a lot of patience seeing the majority of your shells bouncing. I personally resumed the line because I was getting too aggressive in my other cruisers, and thus having horrible games where I was taken out early and did little damage. So I decided to buy and grind Emerald to relearn the art of passive, cautious play.

On a side note, I feel the same way about Tier VI+ Carriers. I just have too difficult a time hitting with manual drops that I just gave up. I still own my Ryujo so I can have a front row seat to to the CV rework, but other than that, I don't actually play it.

[RLGN]
Members
10,049 posts
19,462 battles
8 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

On a side note, I feel the same way about Tier VI+ Carriers. I just have too difficult a time hitting with manual drops that I just gave up. I still own my Ryujo so I can have a front row seat to to the CV rework, but other than that, I don't actually play it.

Except for rare occasions, I only play my carriers in Co-op because I can’t deal with everything necessary in Randoms. This does include my carriers up to Tier 8, but I mostly just play Bogue.

(1-1-1 Bogue is Love. 19 point captain. Just last night I had a 145k, 7 kill game on Big Race because the one other real player and all the bot players died in five minutes, leaving me all alone against the four ships I hadn’t killed already.)

Just as an FYI, I just passed 500 Co-op games with Bogue.

If you liked your CVs, maybe try playing them in Co-op.

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
37 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except for rare occasions, I only play my carriers in Co-op because I can’t deal with everything necessary in Randoms. This does include my carriers up to Tier 8, but I mostly just play Bogue.

(1-1-1 Bogue is Love. 19 point captain. Just last night I had a 145k, 7 kill game on Big Race because the one other real player and all the bot players died in five minutes, leaving me all alone against the four ships I hadn’t killed already.)

Just as an FYI, I just passed 500 Co-op games with Bogue.

If you liked your CVs, maybe try playing them in Co-op.

I still have a Langley that I play in randoms, good times.

It's as much about AA as it is about my terribleness with manual drops that I don't play Tier VI+ CVs, though. I might consider playing Ryujo in co-op every now and then, but in general, I don't like the way Tier VI+ CVs play.

Sign in to follow this