You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CraftsyDad

No Single Fire Torps on RN DD's?

13 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
4,462 battles

Is it true that the new line of RN DDs is not going to have single fire torp capability? If so I think WG are making a mistake, this is one of the unique features of RN ships that I really like. It allows one to engage multiple targets and to really hammer BB captains who are asleep at the wheel. I really hope WG reverse their stance on this

[HAG]
Beta Testers
364 posts
5,121 battles

I agree it is what I love about Gallant and that I turn thought me how to DD somewhat effectively.

[TSG4B]
Members
183 posts
4,853 battles

Let's wait until the ships get into testing, then see what our CC's have to say in their reviews... at this point, I take anything I hear about them with a grain of salt.

Edited by Darksaint1071
clarification

[TBW]
Members
7,401 posts
13,567 battles

Single fire torps are really strong possibly OP in my mind. Notice I didn't say in my Opinion, what I think, is fact to me. I base this on the fact that I wish I had single fire torps on all torp firing vessels that I own.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
411 posts
6,439 battles
3 hours ago, CraftsyDad said:

Is it true that the new line of RN DDs is not going to have single fire torp capability?

No it's not.

According to the dev blog

Instead of choosing between wide and narrow spreads, captains can choose to fire off individual torpedoes or expend the entire launcher at once.

Where did you hear that it wouldn't have single fire? 

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
15 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

No it's not.

According to the dev blog

Where did you hear that it wouldn't have single fire? 

Yeah, this is something that happened to RN CLs as well. They weren't given heals until like the day of the release, so supertesters and CCs didn't get to test them with that feature.

[UTWE]
Members
235 posts
3,199 battles

This is one of my favourite features about RN ships, I really hope WG doesn't screw another thing up like they do to 99% of things in WoWs

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,664 battles

Current state of play from a vid that Vulgarr did is that Acasta has single fire and wide spread (like Vampire). Personally I hope this goes back to single and narrow, especially for the low-tier ships that only have twin tubes, but we shall see.

[NORUN]
[NORUN]
Beta Testers
16 posts
6,544 battles

Good morning all.I've just watched Flamu and Notser's videos on the Daring.I'm not at all impressed.No choice between hydro and speed boost, lackluster gun systems and no narrow spread torp launch [just wide or single]. I for one won't be grinding this line unless they at least give it speed boost and the same pen values as the Jap 100 mm guns.Even with a speed flag you're too slow to take objectives or hunt down enemy dd's.To make this line work you have to be a unicum with a 14 point captain. As it stands now this whole line is castrated and the devs need to rethink their overall vision .

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,664 battles
21 hours ago, Paladin1954 said:

Good morning all.I've just watched Flamu and Notser's videos on the Daring.I'm not at all impressed.No choice between hydro and speed boost, lackluster gun systems and no narrow spread torp launch [just wide or single]. I for one won't be grinding this line unless they at least give it speed boost and the same pen values as the Jap 100 mm guns.Even with a speed flag you're too slow to take objectives or hunt down enemy dd's.To make this line work you have to be a unicum with a 14 point captain. As it stands now this whole line is castrated and the devs need to rethink their overall vision .

I think you're full of it.

I've seen Flamu's video, and although he wasn't impressed with the need to take IFHE, he seemed mighty pleased at what this ship could do with it fitted, as well as with the AP. 

The wide torp spread will probably get changed to narrow by the time she comes out, just as happened with other RN ships. Remember this is still a work in progress. 

The lack of a speed boost requires a different play style; Flamu stated quite bluntly what the strengths of this ship were; it's up to the player to try to make it happen. WG doesn't owe you easy kills.

As for the need for a 14 point captain, if you haven't ground one of those up by Tier X, starting at Medea and carrying him up the line, there's a problem that isn't Wargaming's. On the other hand, if you're one of those lazy mouth-breathers with more free XP than sense and you just want Daring right away, the lack of a 14 point commander to put in her at once is ALSO not Wargaming's problem.

I didn't watch Notser's video because some of his recent work has caused me to lose all respect for his opinions and because IMO he doesn't have the time or patience for any ship that isn't borderline OP. Flamu is a fighting captain who can make anything work and tell you how, where and why it does and doesn't.

This is a ship with a high skill floor and some curious quirks, at the top of a line with a high skill floor and some curious quirks. Don't like that? Don't play the line.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
81 posts
9,823 battles
On 7/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think you're full of it.

I've seen Flamu's video, and although he wasn't impressed with the need to take IFHE, he seemed mighty pleased at what this ship could do with it fitted, as well as with the AP. 

The wide torp spread will probably get changed to narrow by the time she comes out, just as happened with other RN ships. Remember this is still a work in progress. 

The lack of a speed boost requires a different play style; Flamu stated quite bluntly what the strengths of this ship were; it's up to the player to try to make it happen. WG doesn't owe you easy kills.

As for the need for a 14 point captain, if you haven't ground one of those up by Tier X, starting at Medea and carrying him up the line, there's a problem that isn't Wargaming's. On the other hand, if you're one of those lazy mouth-breathers with more free XP than sense and you just want Daring right away, the lack of a 14 point commander to put in her at once is ALSO not Wargaming's problem.

I didn't watch Notser's video because some of his recent work has caused me to lose all respect for his opinions and because IMO he doesn't have the time or patience for any ship that isn't borderline OP. Flamu is a fighting captain who can make anything work and tell you how, where and why it does and doesn't.

This is a ship with a high skill floor and some curious quirks, at the top of a line with a high skill floor and some curious quirks. Don't like that? Don't play the line.

Fascinating perspective

I never realized my beloved Mogami was considered borderline OP

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,664 battles
5 hours ago, Notser said:

Fascinating perspective

I never realized my beloved Mogami was considered borderline OP

This is the way you come across to me when doing ship (p)reviews these days. Your older work was better, IMO.

• Cool 1