You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ObiphanKenobi

Dallas — American Tier VI cruiser.

75 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,480 posts
12,810 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's a thing going recently that everything needs to have IFHE as part of the build... It's funny to see, even when you know and show facts as to why that isn't necessary on a number of those ships.

But they just keep on going.  Oh well, that's their 4 points.

Hard to think that people thought Cleveland was OP at T6 before IFHE.  How did it ever kill anything?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,480 posts
12,810 battles
24 minutes ago, Optio_Praetorii said:

New BB players instinctively hitting Damage Control :Smile_Default:

Touche, point scored.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,224 posts
11,779 battles
Spoiler

CteMJdy.jpg

Spoiler

VeTd4Bp.jpg

Spoiler

N3PAQdw.jpg

Bonus: Dalas facing 9 ships, kill off 1, harass the rest for the team!

9 allies ships hiding behind island and slowly pushing from C to A. While a dd and a tirpitz helping me working on A cap. Sadly, both die and left me to "harass" A. Unfortunately, due to the allies' push, the enemy team is now 9 ships at A. Guess what happen to the red Amagi?

Spoiler

HzuVqkT.jpg

Edited by ObiphanKenobi

[KRAK]
Members
1,028 posts
11,917 battles

I have won 1 game out of 11 consecutive since I bought it, 22K average damage. Still on A hull though.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles
12 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

I have won 1 game out of 11 consecutive since I bought it, 22K average damage. Still on A hull though.

Must be matchmaking. I started off with a great WR but have settled back a bit. I did start off with a 10 pt IFHE captain however. Helps keep the damage numbers up even if the survivability is down. It will never be the T6 Cleveland (CVs will never truly fear you) but it is an OK  ship.

I have other ships that are supposed to be good ships that I have dug very deep holes at the start and am still trying to dig my way out. Always on the losing team, no matter how well I did. Texas an Lyon for example both had 20% WR. I would expect a better rate if I was AFK every game!

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
614 posts
On 9/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Must be matchmaking. I started off with a great WR but have settled back a bit. I did start off with a 10 pt IFHE captain however. Helps keep the damage numbers up even if the survivability is down. It will never be the T6 Cleveland (CVs will never truly fear you) but it is an OK  ship.

I have other ships that are supposed to be good ships that I have dug very deep holes at the start and am still trying to dig my way out. Always on the losing team, no matter how well I did. Texas an Lyon for example both had 20% WR. I would expect a better rate if I was AFK every game!

Once the ship is fully upgraded, it should get better as well.  It's a fun little ship, becoming one of my go-to ships so I play at least once when I'm on.  My captain has CE, though I tend to take that on most ships over IFHE.  I just prefer that extra bit of room to sneak up or disengage.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles
1 hour ago, Optio_Praetorii said:

Once the ship is fully upgraded

Thinking about it... it is strange that I had a better win rate before I got all the upgrades. Still don't have CE. It is a LOOOOOONG way to a 14 pt captain. Took CE instead on my (new) Helena. No upgrades on it yet and am doing OK WR wise.

[KRAK]
Members
1,028 posts
11,917 battles

Have 11 % win rate now, 18 games. Closing in on B Hull though. Average about 20K damage, retraining 15 pt captain. This is not the old Cleveland.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles
15 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Have 11 % win rate now, 18 games. Closing in on B Hull though

Wow, had some low WR ships but never that low (after 18 games). Wonder if it is something built into MM but it seems I usually win my first Random game and often my second in any new ship (after a few training wheels trips thru CO-OP). Things can go down quickly from there but I would think that my first game should be my worst. Almost seems MM knows it is my first game and puts me on the team with all the good players to carry me (not taking credit for the win when just learning a ship),

Members
2,531 posts
5,363 battles
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Forgive him because I remember he originally played on the EU server so English is probably not his first language.

However, I do agree that some parts were a bit hard to understand. But these days a lot of times I have trouble understanding teenagers lol.

If you take their phones away, they stop talking...easier, that way...:Smile_teethhappy:

[KRAK]
Members
1,028 posts
11,917 battles

Thought I was loosing my mind with it, so played my Shchors and got 80K damage. Just one tier up, same type of battle.

I also think MM puts bad players together. I just played another game I lost in little D and was the top score teammate with 50K damage. I could not believe it, but there it was. Another team player said he had been playing 5 days and had not won a single game in 5 days. So I really  think the worse you are in a ship, the MM will pair you with others with low scores, which is how I can get to 20% win rate with little D, meaning that 80% of the time, whoever was on my team was going to loose the match they were in. This is over 40 games.

There is more to MM that people think, it is not just 3 tier spread general matching, along with ship types on both sides. They are like facebook, Yahoo, Google, IRS, etc,. and have lots of data and have algorithms on what to do with it, WG is the same. It is their data.

Edited by Ericson38
  • Boring 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,028 posts
11,917 battles

Finally MM puts me in a T5-6 match. Why should I want to find a T8 Cleveland lurking around a point the same time as me ?

Beta Testers
382 posts
3,132 battles

This ship is a flaming pile of donkey balls. I thought I hated the Omaha.....

Back to Des Moines. The new light cruiser line can lick my sack

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,480 posts
12,810 battles

I was completely unimpressed with the Dallass too.

[BOTO]
Members
408 posts
9,749 battles

Dallas is pretty decent once you have all the upgrades and modules and you're using at least a 14 point Captain with IFHE and CE.

The stars of the USN CL line are Helena and Cleveland.

Beta Testers
844 posts

Yes, it’s a ship, that’s why it floats.  That’s why they don’t call them cars.

It appears the ship is vanilla and just average to most players.  That’s what my original post was driving at, going from just ‘meh,’ to something just a tad more exciting could make the CL line a more interesting one.  Also, why wouldn’t we want a better T6 USN CL?  But why is the range so short?

I, like many others will usually take the Leander, Nurnberg or LaGas out before the Dallas, etc., and certainly Premiums like DeGrasse, etc.  Making the CL line a little more interesting couldn’t hurt, and I’m talking about Very minimal buff such as slight uptick in range and ROF would make it somewhat reminiscent of the late T6 Cleveland and more competitive with the aforementioned CLs.  I am NOT suggesting it become Cleveland, just a minor buff would go a long way to making Dallas an exciting want-to-play ship.

[STW-M]
Members
3,098 posts
7,342 battles

Yeesh, Dallas without IFHE is an absolute pain to sail.

In Killer Whale, I can land over a hundred hits on battleships up to 3 tiers lower and still be relying on fires to do meaningful damage.

At least it works well enough against the enemy cruisers and destroyers...

[BIER]
Members
210 posts
3,419 battles

152mm without IFHE can only pen 24mm of armor. That means most T6 and up BB's (which tend to have 25mm plating) are only vulnerable on their superstructure. So yout struggle for anything but fire damage against most BBs you face.

But 24mm of penetration is just fine for all DDs, and virtually all cruisers you face (only some T8 ones will really give you fits).

IFHE is not a necessity on the Dallas, unlike the Helena which really has to have it, as it faces T8 and T9 all the time.

Without IFHE, you play the Dallas as a fire starter on BBs, then switch targets to CA's. It also blasts DDs  quite well, but you need other people to spot them, as your concealment is blah.

Personally, it's my go-to ship for T6 Operations, where the huge volume of shells is really useful, and, frankly, you don't need the high accuracy of the Budyony or the speed of the LaGlass. It's AA is also far superior to either.

In general play, it's middle of the road - very good in some maps/MM, meh in most others.

I kept it, and I still play it semi-regularly. It's a good ship to train extra captains for other American cruisers, too, if you always move the same captain up. Pretty fast to get a 10 point captain, which you can then transfer to a new CA/CL and be happy.

[TRGT]
Members
189 posts
3,677 battles

Had Dallas for a month and so far I like it, nimble and small compared with a Duca D'Aosta or Molotov when compared, but the guns lacks range and I also can't wait to put IFHE in Captain'e experience

The guns are accurate even before I put Aiming Systems Modification 1, also in put Steering Gears Modification 2 in Slot 4 that helps to dodge shells, turrets turn not DD fast but fast enough

to track small ships reasonably close unlike my Pensacola or Molotov.

Well adapted for Operation Killer Whale, wish I had smoke on that thing.

Members
195 posts
1,262 battles

I just took Dallas out of mothballs with a new captain. It's still a fun ship. I did notice that the HE fire % in-game is shown as 13%, while wows wiki and wows-numbers shows 12%. I hope the in-game #s are right - I want to try a DE/AA build that skips IFHE for more interesting skills.