Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Does Zao actually have a citadel?

14 comments in this topic

Members
350 posts
4,213 battles

Been fighting a ton of Zao's the past few days and for the life of me I can NOT find the dang citadel.  Even perfect broadside, well aimed salvos only net me a couple of overpens.  Every other IJN CA is a citadel magnet... just look at them funny and score cits.  I don't know what kind of voodoo the Zao has but I just don't know how to cit one.  Heck, I'm lucky to not bounce entire salvos if they are even slightly angled.  I never realized their armor was that trollish... Either that or my aim is just really bad.

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
1,019 posts
7,827 battles

You need to aim low.

Zao has a sloped citadel deck right above waterline, a bit like turtle back. If you aim even just slightly higher than waterline, your shell will bounce off that sloped armor and register as an overpen.

Edited by Exciton8964

[VFW]
Members
1,168 posts
23,092 battles
1 hour ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Been fighting a ton of Zao's the past few days and for the life of me I can NOT find the dang citadel.  Even perfect broadside, well aimed salvos only net me a couple of overpens.  Every other IJN CA is a citadel magnet... just look at them funny and score cits.  I don't know what kind of voodoo the Zao has but I just don't know how to cit one.  Heck, I'm lucky to not bounce entire salvos if they are even slightly angled.  I never realized their armor was that trollish... Either that or my aim is just really bad.

Oh yes indeed!   The Zao armor is tough if angled, but if you hit the water line, mid-ship, with AP.....bang, bam, boom...you have a cit.  I droll when I see a Zao broadside with a Cruiser or Battleship.

VR,

Members
350 posts
4,213 battles
9 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

You need to aim low.

Zao has a sloped citadel deck right above waterline, a bit like turtle back. If you aim even just slightly higher than waterline, your shell will bounce off that sloped armor and register as an overpen.

Huh.  Maybe I've just been unlucky then because I generally aim at the waterline and center of the Zao. 

[TOG]
Members
3,417 posts
17,836 battles

Yes, there is a citadel. Been eating those when grinding. Typically when I turn away and the Zao heels over. Exposing more of the citadel,

[ANKER]
Members
240 posts
4,558 battles
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Bill_Halsey said:

Yes, there is a citadel. Been eating those when grinding. Typically when I turn away and the Zao heels over. Exposing more of the citadel,

This. The best time to shoot a cruiser is when they turn and expose their belly, making the citadel creep up like a pantyshot in a lewd anime. 
Though the best way to citadel anything is to just play Moskva really. There isn't any cruiser she can't slap from max range, as even Hinden gets dropped.

I've found that the only ship I really have trouble with is Kronshtadt, those I've yet to citadel in Moskva from between 12-15km full broadside. Not sure if maybe my aim is wrong...

Beta Testers
6 posts
2,207 battles

Yes, the Zao is basically all citadel when you are kitting away from a BB af long range.  If they catch you at like a 45 degree angle away it will go right down into you.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

Trust me she does. Its just. Trolly. :Smile_trollface:

Like that one time I sailed full broadside to a Yammy and survived with minor damaged but when I'm 18 km out a Frenchy citis me for a devastating strike. 

Members
350 posts
4,213 battles

Since starting this thread, I have managed to land a few cits on enemy Zao's.  I am encouraged by this, though the armor still seems to be a lot more troll than I would have expected given the fragility of the rest of the IJN CA line.  Kind of makes me want to pick the Mogami back up and work my way up to the Zao...

Thanks for all the responses.  Cheers!

Sign in to follow this