Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Is there a secret to winning with Montana?

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles

Really I'd love for someone to explain what it takes to win with this thing.  My first 30 games in her I am averaging a little over 110k damage, but my win rate is 33.33%.  I mean, I know that isn't spectacular damage, but come on.  Tonight I lost 9 straight.  The tenth game was a 209k 3 kill effort which finally secured a win. 

I have THE worst luck in Montana... I really don't understand but it frustrates the #$%^ out of me.  It's a good ship, I like it, I just can't win in it.

Edited by Uncle_Lou

[STAR]
Members
77 posts
8,135 battles

CAPTAIN, FROM MONTANA YOU MUST HAVE AN ANTI-FIRE CONFIGURATION AND ACCURACY OF THE MAIN WEAPONS. DO NOT TRY UP A.A AND SECONDARY CANNES.
ALWAYS TRY TO GIVE ALL THE SHOTS AT THE SAME TIME ... (FULL SAVED), DO NOT SHOOT TURNING THE SHIP .. LOOK AND STABILIZE .. (LEARN TO LOOK) .. THAT SHIP IS NOT SO STRONG SO TO STAY DAMAGE TO OTHERS BB. S (YAMATO AND GK), BUT HE IS VERY GOOD TO ARREST THE ENEMY CRUISERS, BECAUSE HE GIVES A VERY CITIZEN IN THE TARGETS .... I AM WITH ALMOST 8.5 MILLION IN EXPERIENCE IN THE MOUNTAIN, DELAY BUT YOU WILL ENJOY AND WILL ADORE YOU. .

TRANSLATED BY THE PORTUGUESE GOOGLE.

[NO]
Members
364 posts
14,040 battles

I would suggest using stealth build. Learn to flex to situations where ships are forced to give you broadsides (similar to a stealth Missouri/Iowa)

As stated above, get good at shooting dds....12  bb guns hurt dds alot. Can often one shot them even with ap over-pens

Use your stealth to turn and try and not get stuck bow on if possible. If I am stuck bow on I often feel as if I could have positioned myself better

DO NOT SNIPE. STAYING MAX RANGE IS 80% OF THE TIME NOT OKAY. Ideal range is at a range where you can reliably CITIDAL enemy cruisers 

My Monty Captain skills are (19 points)

1. Priority Target 
  2. Expert Marksman and Adrenaline Rush
  3. Basic Firing Training and Superintendent
  4. Advanced Firing Training and Concealment Expert

Black= Take what you want, changes due to taste     Green = Recommended    Purple= Highly Recommended, boarder line MUST TAKE

My Monty Upgrades are 

1. Main Armaments Upgrade
  2. Damage Control System 1
  3. AA Gun Modification 2
  4. Damage Control System Modification 2
  5. Concealment System Modification 1
  6. Artillery Plotting Room Modification 2

Black= Take what you want, changes due to taste     Green = Recommended    Purple= Highly Recommended, boarder line MUST TAKE

[NO_CV]
[NO_CV]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,711 battles
2 hours ago, MountainManxDan said:

Shoot the DD's

^^^This man Montanas.

Also, take almost every survivability trait you can (except for the one in the rudder shift upgrade slot). 

I HIGHLY recommend this build: 

b35f3a3c88d3eb168c801537e93e2be3.png

Yes, it's lacking in AA staying power, but you don't get CVs every game and HE is generally what takes down BBs 90% of the time if you are playing it properly anyway. A tradeoff, but one I'm willing to make.  

Also, use the special damage control module on the first slot. IIRC, damage control lasts over 20 second on the Montana with that installed.

If you combine all of this, you are incredibly tanky (as long as you manage damage), very resistant to HE, and can get in closer and do work. Be mindful of DDs and position around them, make SURE to nuke DDs when you have the chance, and you'll win more. 

Hope that helps. Montana is probably my favorite tier 10 BB, besides the Republique. Yamato is powerful, it's just boring to play. 

@Uncle_Lou

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
3 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Really I'd love for someone to explain what it takes to win with this thing.  My first 30 games in her I am averaging a little over 110k damage, but my win rate is 33.33%.  I mean, I know that isn't spectacular damage, but come on.  Tonight I lost 9 straight.  The tenth game was a 209k 3 kill effort which finally secured a win. 

I have THE worst luck in Montana... I really don't understand but it frustrates the #$%^ out of me.  It's a good ship, I like it, I just can't win in it.

110k overall damage is really good winrate is team focus so not a reflection of your personal score

if your losing alot of maybe try putting your battleship in arms way to help your team

battleships sitting in the back is very bad for the team im not saying thats what your doing or anything

just saying if your numbers are that good your shooting aint the problem try being more involve in the teamplay aspect maybe and your winrate will be better

[NO_CV]
[NO_CV]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,711 battles
22 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

110k overall damage is really good winrate is team focus so not a reflection of your personal score

if your losing alot of maybe try putting your battleship in arms way to help your team

battleships sitting in the back is very bad for the team im not saying thats what your doing or anything

just saying if your numbers are that good your shooting aint the problem try being more involve in the teamplay aspect maybe and your winrate will be better

I would disagree with that first sentence wholeheartedly. You can ABSOLUTELY affect your W/R. 

Overall Division Stats: 
73806e32d187fdc3d720788d4821ea13.png

Overall Solo Stats: 
32375480c735fcf5f1471156b4b9360d.png

I actually win more playing the Monty solo than in a division. However, my damage is a little lower while playing solo. I suspect this is because I don't have a DD in my division, so I focus DDs more when solo. 

Lately, I've also started to play the Monty like an absolute madman, using concealment to get in stupid close, then turning away before firing, firing right at the edge of concealment, then kiting out. Again, you have to be wary of DDs while doing this, but it's extremely effective. I use all 5 repairs almost every game.  

Look at the difference in damage numbers while playing it this way:

Last 21 days: 
3a7ecab9261352d225a1333c50178181.png 

So, yes, I'd wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that it's not his gunnery that's the weak point. It's probably his positioning, lack of tanking for his team, or target prioritization. If most of that damage you have is from farming BBs, you are doing it wrong. Of course you take shots on BBs when they are in a compromising position, or there is nothing else to shoot, but deleting cruisers and destroyers wins the games. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
20 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

I would disagree with that first sentence wholeheartedly. You can ABSOLUTELY affect your W/R. 

Overall Division Stats: 

Overall Solo Stats: 

I actually win more playing the Monty solo than in a division. However, my damage is a little lower while playing solo. I suspect this is because I don't have a DD in my division, so I focus DDs more when solo. 

Lately, I've also started to play the Monty like an absolute madman, using concealment to get in stupid close, then turning away before firing, firing right at the edge of concealment, then kiting out. Again, you have to be wary of DDs while doing this, but it's extremely effective. I use all 5 repairs almost every game.  

Last 21 days: 

So, yes, I'd wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that it's not his gunnery that's the weak point. It's probably his positioning, lack of tanking for his team, or target prioritization. If most of that damage you have is from farming BBs, you are doing it wrong. Of course you take shots on BBs when they are in a compromising position, or there is nothing else to shoot, but deleting cruisers and destroyers wins the games. 

ya its what i meant tho that you can have good personal score but if your achieving it by letting your team get destroyed its not the best

play more like a battleship and your winrate will get better

im nowhere close to that average damage on my montana but i have 50% wr but i do try to help my team and id like to think thats why 

im no pro unicorn player thats for sure so yes i believe how you play has a teamplayer will affect your winrate

and rngesus of course )

[NO_CV]
[NO_CV]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,711 battles
26 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

ya its what i meant tho that you can have good personal score but if your achieving it by letting your team get destroyed its not the best

play more like a battleship and your winrate will get better

im nowhere close to that average damage on my montana but i have 50% wr but i do try to help my team and id like to think thats why 

im no pro unicorn player thats for sure so yes i believe how you play has a teamplayer will affect your winrate

and rngesus of course )

Absolutely. 

Just last night, I had a really frustrating experience with two tier 10 BBs- a Yamato and a Montana. 

They were in position to hold a flank and help us cut the enemy team down if they had been closer. Instead, they both hid at max range, behind an island, at FULL health, and only when everyone else was dead or almost dead and the wolves were upon them did they bother to fire up their engines. Of course, by that point, they were vastly outnumbered and lasted less than 2 minutes.

Full health to dead in 2 minutes because they didn't bother to throw their HP in earlier when it actually mattered.

All they had to do for us to win was to tank while other ships on our team were still alive. That's it. Our team begged them to get involved, but they refused. If you aren't using your HP for your team as a BB, you are not fulfilling your role. 

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
1 minute ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Absolutely. 

Just last night, I had a really frustrating experience with two tier 10 BBs- a Yamato and a Montana. 

They were in position to hold a flank and help us cut the enemy team down if they had been closer. Instead, they both hid at max range, behind an island, at FULL health, and only when everyone else was dead or almost dead and the wolves were upon them did they bother to fire up their engines. Of course, by that point, they were vastly outnumbered and lasted less than 2 minutes.

Full health to dead- because they didn't bother to throw their HP in earlier when it actually mattered.
All they had to do, and we would have won, was to tank while other ships on our team were still alive. That's it. Our team begged them to get involved, but they refused. 

yep yamoto are famous for that or infamous i should say lol

i got the tuffest ship in game so ill just hide from the enemy haha

random can be quite frustrating i think the game would be alot better if there was com for the team and not just division com

you could always mute the salty ones anyway lol

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles
7 hours ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Overall Division Stats: 

Overall Solo Stats: 

Last 21 days: 

I don't sit in back and try to snipe, that is rarely ever productive and frankly you can't typically get decent damage totals doing it.  I do try to support pushes and shoot DDs if I can get my guns to bear before they go dark.  Generally I try to prioritize anything giving me a broadside; if nothing is giving me a broadside then I'll shoot cruisers or DDs.  I don't know my captain build off the top of my head, but I may look at a re-spec into more survival skills.  It seems like survival/tankiness isn't necessarily the issue, lately it seems like teams just dissolve around me and I'm not sure what I can do differently to affect the game. 

[NO_CV]
[NO_CV]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,711 battles
20 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I don't sit in back and try to snipe, that is rarely ever productive and frankly you can't typically get decent damage totals doing it.  I do try to support pushes and shoot DDs if I can get my guns to bear before they go dark.  Generally I try to prioritize anything giving me a broadside; if nothing is giving me a broadside then I'll shoot cruisers or DDs.  I don't know my captain build off the top of my head, but I may look at a re-spec into more survival skills.  It seems like survival/tankiness isn't necessarily the issue, lately it seems like teams just dissolve around me and I'm not sure what I can do differently to affect the game. 

To be fair, I was making some sweeping assumptions based on my experience in trawling through hundreds of individual's stats and from my own personal experience. 

It does seem that many matches are lopsided, but that could just be confirmation bias speaking. 

In looking at your stats, I do see that you are averaging less than 1 kill per game. Profiles that have "above-average dmg", but "below avg w/r" *generally* mean that the player is focusing BBs. 

That, combined with your average of less than 1 kill per game but your statement affirming that you do, in fact, focus the correct targets suggests a few things to me: 

- You need to make sure that you are finishing off weak targets, particularly ones that are out of the effective range for your DDs and Cruisers to deal with. This prevents them from coming back later on, healed up, to do more dmg to your team.
- Perhaps you are not making effective use of crossfire in cooperative effort with other ships on your team? The Montana shines from catching things broadside with an accurate, heavy-hitting salvo. If you are not sneaking your Monty into unexpected locations, you are not maximizing her effectiveness. Sometimes, you need to go a short period without firing to sneak into a better position while stealthed up. Force your enemies into a position where they either have to give you broadside... or your team.  

That's about all the advice I can give by looking at your stats and making some inferences from them.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,300 posts
15,795 battles
9 hours ago, MountainManxDan said:

Shoot the DD's

While this is memeworthy funny, there is a lot of truth to this.

Montana as a 12-gun BB with good dispersion is actually very dangerous to Destroyers.  In terms of BB Main Batteries shooting at DDs, Yamato, Montana, 419mm-Conqueror are the best.  They either have super precision, i.e. Yamato, or a good blend of 12-gun mass gunfire and accuracy, i.e. Montana and 419mm-Conqueror.

A BB blapping Destroyers may not have the gaudy Damage stats to show for it, but it helps your own DDs and makes their efforts worthwhile.  Any damage a Non-DD can do to enemy DDs makes life easier for your own DDs.  It also makes the pain of DDs going out finding each other worthwhile.  There are few things worse in the game than a DD finding enemy DDs but nobody shoots at them.  It's frustrating as f_ck finding these DDs but you got no help in putting them down, because dumb@sses are trying to farm damage on some BB 18km away instead, and not the DD you found 10km from your team's BBs and Cruisers.  And if your team's DDs are doing well, then that's very much a major indicator that your team is going to win.

Next in line for Montana to shoot at?  CRUISERS.  Unless you see some idiot BB showing full broadside, Cruisers are your next priority target.  I am a Cruiser Main.  I will tell people now, that there are 2 BBs I fear on a regular basis when I play a Cruiser.

Yamato

Montana

For the same reasons those 2 BBs are good in shooting at DDs, it makes them just as good in wrecking Cruisers.  I exclude Conqueror in this because they almost all fire HE, and eating HE is not a concern to me as a Cruiser, nor are Fires.  It's BB AP, and Yamato & Montana are very reliable in applying AP to people.  Yamato, Montana can literally 1-shot my Cruisers, Conqueror firing HE and setting fires cannot.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles

There isn't much I can do about the MM and the teams I get, so I guess I will have to kind of evaluate myself over my next several games in the Monty to see if I am really prioritizing targets the way I think I am.  Teams that refuse to shoot DDs make me crazy, but I should make sure I'm not guilty of it myself.  Also wouldn't hurt to take another look at my captain's skills to see if an improvement can be made there.  I want to say its a fairly generalist build as opposed to focusing on AA or survivability, etc.  And I expect I will hit a streak of good luck/friendly RNG at some point, which never hurt anybody.

If anything I've said came off snarky please trust that it was not intended that way.  It's been a frustrating run.  Intellectually, I KNOW Montana is a great ship but the results just haven't been there.  It's awfully easy to blame the team, and while there is some of that I'm sure there are small ways I can improve my game that will help the team win and I'm just trying to figure out how.

[ZR]
Members
971 posts
11,862 battles
9 hours ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

^^^This man Montanas.

Also, take almost every survivability trait you can (except for the one in the rudder shift upgrade slot). 

I HIGHLY recommend this build: 

b35f3a3c88d3eb168c801537e93e2be3.png

Yes, it's lacking in AA staying power, but you don't get CVs every game and HE is generally what takes down BBs 90% of the time if you are playing it properly anyway. A tradeoff, but one I'm willing to make.  

Also, use the special damage control module on the first slot. IIRC, damage control lasts over 20 second on the Montana with that installed.

If you combine all of this, you are incredibly tanky (as long as you manage damage), very resistant to HE, and can get in closer and do work. Be mindful of DDs and position around them, make SURE to nuke DDs when you have the chance, and you'll win more. 

Hope that helps. Montana is probably my favorite tier 10 BB, besides the Republique. Yamato is powerful, it's just boring to play. 

@Uncle_Lou

That is spot on exactly what I run for captain perks.

As far as the shooting at DD's thing, at the start of a match I usually push in the direction I want to go but closer to the cap my friendly DD is going in.  Usually B cap for me but thats my preference.  I hold my fire letting everything spotted drive by until the first DD pops up or until I am spotted and/or feel the enemy DD wont show up.  I on average have a dd pop up under 12km away and they instinctively turn out and I usually catch them in their turn cause it is very predictable.  Blap minimum of 10k off the DD and or dev strike if RNG is good too you.

Sign in to follow this