You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is anyone a fan of football / anyone watching the World Cup?

79 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I know it's called 'soccer' in the US, Australia, and in Canada as well, but I still call it 'football' because it's played with your feet. An early version called cuju originated in China, but modern football as we know it largely originated in the British Isles. Now, ping pong / table tennis was invented in Britain, yet look which country has the best players in the world? Ironic, isn't it? How a Chinese sport really caught on in Britain, and a British sport really caught on in China. So now I'm watching the FIFA World Cup in Mother Russia and there have been quite a few surprise this time:

1. Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, NONE of these traditional powerhouse made it far. Germany was a big shock, especially the 0-2 loss to South Korea. However, they were in really poor form this time, and many of the 2010 / 2014 veterans are getting old / near retirement age. The 0-1 loss to Mexico also came as a shock, the winning goal for Mexico was scored by the up-and-coming H. Lozano who plays for major Dutch club PSV Eindhoven. Spain couldn't overcome Russian bias. I had expected them to breeze to the quarterfinals, but Russia defeated them 4-3 on penalty kicks. Granted, this isn't the Spain of 2007-2012, but being a traditional European powerhouse their defeat in the hands of the host nation was a huge shock to many. Spain and Portugal in the group stage only managed ties in their final group games against Morocco and Iran, respectively. What I've noticed about Iran is that they seem to be very heavy on defense, but are very lacking in offense and rely on 'opportunities' / lucky exploiting of the other team's mistakes to score their goals rather than lead a proactive, straightforward offense. Portugal's loss to Uruguay wasn't that surprising, both teams were quite evenly matched with Suarez and Cavani carrying the Uruguayan side and of course, Cristiano carrying Portugal. Still, it's sad to see Ronaldo make such an early exit.

Argentina was also a favorite of mine, but they got stomped by the dark horse Croatia 0-3. To be fair to Croatia, they do have a world class squad with Modric, Rakitic, Rebic, Mandzukic etc. In 1998, in their first ever World Cup (their national team was only founded in 1992), they managed to reach third place overall with talents such as Davo Suker. Iceland did fairly well at Euro 2016 but this was their first time ever in the World Cup, and with a team of amateurs they managed a tie with Argentina. Argentina barely made it out of the group stage but Nigeria almost managed a tie with a near goal literally 30 seconds before the match ended. I thought things would go a bit more smoothly for them once they overcome the group stage, but their next opponent was France, which is really strong this time. During their match against Argentina 2 goals were scored by the 19-year old Kylian Mbappe, Greizmann also scored a goal. Mbappe is........ a whirlwind. Every time when I count on Argentina to win, they lose.... 

I was quite assured that Mexico would top the group, but in their final group stage game against Sweden, Sweden steamrolled them 3-0. Sweden nearly knocked Germany out as well, but a goal from Toni Kroos 30 seconds before the match ended changed the score to 2-1 in Germany's favor.

2. Onto the Round of 16. Uruguay defeated Portugal 2-1, with both goals scored by Edinson Cavani. Before the match I saw Cavani and Suarez discussing tactics with each other, and they performed really well during the match though Suarez didn't score. However, since France defeated Argentina, Uruguay will have to face France in the quarterfinals. Cavani may not make it due to his calf injury. Uruguay will have a huge challenge to overcome. Mexico was unable to break the Curse of 16 once again, because they had the misfortune of playing Brazil in the Round of 16. Croatia really struggled against Denmark and the match was won on penalty kicks, but I'm glad they managed to win in the end. The last Danish player in the penalty kick hesitated for a few seconds, and overall the Danes just kept aiming at the net in the same direction, making things too predictable for Croatia. I'm a bit surprised Sweden managed to defeat Switzerland because I've always believed Switzerland had the better team. I watched part of the England vs Colombia game today, England won on penalty kicks. Kane scored England's goal during the actual match, and I didn't expect Colombia to equalize but Yerry Mina scored 90+3'. I was betting on Colombia to win, and it was really close with 4-3 in England's favor at the end of the penalty kicks, but England will now face Sweden in the quarterfinals, which I think they'll be able to overcome and make it to the semis.

3. Japan versus Belgium was a heart pounding game. Japan was 2-0 in the lead for quite some time, and nearly made history for their country (and for Asia since 2002, where Korea made it to the semi-finals, but many suspect a lot of foul play / judgment / corruption was involved), but Belgium managed a comeback 3-2. Usually the R of 16 is the limit for Asian teams, Asia's just not that good at football compared to Europe and Latin America, and don't mention the Chinese national team because it's one steaming pile of crap. Now don't get too excited, my American comrades, America's not much better. Canada's a joke.

4. France is really strong this time, with players such as Greizmann and Mbappe. Let's see what more they can pull off. Teams like France, Switzerland, have A LOT of players that are of foreign / mixed descent. Uruguay will have a huge hurdle in front of them. Can the small country in South America manage to overcome the Blue Legion? We'll find out on the 6th. Belgium will be playing Brazil, this is also a match I'm excited for. If Brazil gets knocked out then it's going to be quite interesting, because to be honest I'm getting a bit bored of watching just a couple of nations win the World Cup. Croatia can overcome Russia, and I think England can deal with Sweden. 

So:

-A conservative estimate of the semi-finals

Brazil France England Croatia

-A more wild guess for the semi-finalists

Belgium Sweden Russia Uruguay

I also watched the WC back in 2014, and Costa Rica was a shocker. They made it to the quarterfinals and only lost by 1 point to the Netherlands in penalty kicks, which was still a strong team just four years ago. They also managed to defeat Italy, which has since fallen from grace as a strong team. Costa Rica vs the Netherlands was 0-0 for the whole 120 minutes. This time though they failed to make it past the group stage.

It's a bit of a pity how many people in America can be very ignorant of the world and of other countries. 2 weeks ago in a match (where I had to do the lion's share of the work with 121k, 4 kills, Atlanta in a T8 match, total fail team, loss), just out of curiosity I asked people on both teams whether any of them are watching the World Cup. They didn't even know what I was referring to! I said "the FIFA World Cup in Russia that's going on right now", and they were like..... wth are you talking about? Lol. I wonder why the most popular sport across the world is so obscure in America, because I, for the life of it, cannot understand American / Canadian football, hockey, curling etc. I did watch a bit of NBA as a kid. China's national football team sucks big time but I get the impression that watching football's more of a thing in China than North America (except Mexico).

Now.... Why do I have a feeling they're going to give NDJ (it's a shame we didn't get USS Boise) a gimmick where it deals 50% less damage to all French ships while taking 150% damage from French ships? And this time if we don't get to buy her we'll have to wait until 2022, perhaps then they'll remove the gimmick depending on how things go...... Just kidding.

The next World Cup, if Messi and Ronaldo make it, may very likely be their last....

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,842 posts
4,180 battles

Hell yes, I'm watching it.  I had to turn off the England/Colombia match today at the tieing goal - too intense.  England finally pulled it out!  Perhaps the curse is broken.

I'll be happy if someone besides Brazil wins.  Neymar is fg poison.

Edited by iDuckman
Spelling

[INTEL]
Members
7,070 posts
28,937 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Hell yes, I'm watching it.  I had to turn off the England/Colombia match today at the tieing goal - too intense.  England finally pulled it out!  Perhaps the curse is broken.

Fixed it for you.

I do agree with anyone but Brazil. I'd like Uruguay to win.

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
266 posts
11,210 battles

the games started good but the amount of diving and incorrect penalties being called are shameful. Also the amount of times players are slipping on the grass raises alot of concern. 

ill put my money on Belgium and im giving the award for most Honest and Respectable team award to Japan.

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
410 posts
9,710 battles

I look a lot.

Match France vs Argentina is amazing.

I think a Uruguay cannot win without Cavani, for other match Brazil-Belgium, i think Brazil can get short win, i wait to look this match.

For me France-Brazil match; is final before a final. And i live on most amazing place (without a stadium) to feel a match, on  crossing between France and Brazil, the french Guiana. Even one team lose a match, all people celebrate a winner.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,446 posts
14,319 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

helps when youre playing with 12. an american ref to ref an england match first of all. second, it was the worst officiated match ive ever seen. the guy was making calls so blatantly wrong even the replays showed he was wrong, for instance the denial of a corner towards the end of the second overtime, but also an england player crushes the ankle of the colombia player, the injured colombia player recieves a yellow card and the english a pat on the back, an most blatantly an englan player steps on falcao's head but no red card, however the enlgand star tackles the colombian defender in the box, subsequently dives, and is rewarded with a penalty. the guy is also invovled in a corruption imbroglio he actually was asking ronaldo for his jersey during half time of the portugal match.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Japan really did their best this time. They were even in the lead against Belgium for quite some time. Belgium only started making a comeback after the 60-minute mark. Had Belgium been unable to turn things around, Japan would have been the Asian team to make it the furthest in the World Cup since 2002. They're the best in Asia, and some of their top players like Shinji Kagawa and Keisuke Honda play for major European clubs. Had they made it to the quarterfinals, though, they would be at a dead end because they would end up facing Brazil. From a historical perspective it would be somewhat of a symbolic match up because Japan and Brazil have been quite closely intertwined with each other in modern history. My friend told me back in the 70s and 80s the highest percentage of Japan's foreign investments were in Brazil, not even its closest ally the US. If you've heard of the Bossa Nova singer Lisa Ono, she's Japanese-Brazilian.

Glad to know there are fans like me :)))) I'm not too lonely after all... :)))

[VW]
Members
2,446 posts
14,319 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Japan really did their best this time. They were even in the lead against Belgium for quite some time. Belgium only started making a comeback after the 60-minute mark. Had Belgium been unable to turn things around, Japan would have been the Asian team to make it the furthest in the World Cup since 2002. They're the best in Asia, and some of their top players like Shinji Kagawa and Keisuke Honda play for major European clubs. Had they made it to the quarterfinals, though, they would be at a dead end because they would end up facing Brazil. From a historical perspective it would be somewhat of a symbolic match up because Japan and Brazil have been quite closely intertwined with each other in modern history. My friend told me back in the 70s and 80s the highest percentage of Japan's foreign investments were in Brazil, not even its closest ally the US. If you've heard of the Bossa Nova singer Lisa Ono, she's Japanese-Brazilian.

Glad to know there are fans like me :)))) I'm not too lonely after all... :)))

That was a heck of a game! Heartbreaking finish! I felt for them despite their having beaten Colombia their first match! :fish_aqua:

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles
16 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

That was a heck of a game! Heartbreaking finish! I felt for them despite their having beaten Colombia their first match! :fish_aqua:

Yeah..... Colombia beat them 4-1 two World Cups ago. I also feel a bit heartbroken for Colombia because they managed to give England so much trouble.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

I've caught bits and pieces, like Croatia's win by PK the other day. Just the PK part. Between the time difference between Russia and here and not having had a day off for the past 25 days, I have not seen much of the Cup.

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
410 posts
9,710 battles

Today France break Uruguayan  team without true resistance, i hope Cavani can ba allowed for next edition.

[STW-M]
Members
2,971 posts
7,026 battles

I'm personally still wondering over which soccer patch I should get.

Maybe I'll just wait for the finals and see

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

I got Mexico. Canada didn't make it in, neither did the U.S.

I figured if we couldn't win the only North American team to get in was the team to support.

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
410 posts
9,710 battles
4 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'm personally still wondering over which soccer patch I should get.

Maybe I'll just wait for the finals and see

If you want get a patch of winner, get a french patch.

Is not because i'm french.:Smile_hiding:

2 hours ago, DonKarnage2 said:

I got Mexico. Canada didn't make it in, neither did the U.S.

I figured if we couldn't win the only North American team to get in was the team to support.

Is good "joke", Mexico and USA are the better enemy in football. Lot of state with same border have rivalry in sport.  Argentina vs Brazil or France vs Germany for example. In CONCACAF area, except for 2018 USA don't have difficult to get first or second spot (of 3) for World Cup

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles

....just checked the ticker and yes the Belgians did pull off I nice little upset today....

....personally, I'm no soccer fan, but I'd like to see England at least get close (they already are) because I'm an inveterate Anglophile.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,842 posts
4,180 battles
On 7/4/2018 at 6:40 PM, DonKarnage2 said:

I've caught bits and pieces, like Croatia's win by PK the other day.

How about their win by PK today !?  Wow. 

I got an England jersey; then they won. 

And Brazil is gone!  Hooray !!!

England v.s France final?  And then the Apocalypse ?

1-percent-cat-on-the-apocalypse.jpg

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Russia put up really staunch resistance against Croatia today. I knew they would try really hard because they haven't gotten so far since they were the Soviet Union. The goal at 115 minutes in AET was a huge surprise. Then it came down to the penalty shootout and Croatia barely won with Rakitic once again saving the day just like he did during the match against Denmark. 

I knew with my intuition that Brazil might not be able to overcome Belgium, and I was right. The way Belgium thwarted every Brazilian attack, even if it was 1-1,I think Belgium may very well have scored another goal had the match entered ET. Uruguay without Cavani simply wasn't a match for France. I expected England to beat Sweden and they did.

I was expecting to see an equal, if not a greater number of Latin American teams making it into the semifinals this time, but here we go, 4 European teams. 

England

France

Belgium

Croatia

If the final is between France and England..... It would be drama Lol.

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
410 posts
9,710 battles
47 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

If the final is between France and England..... It would be drama Lol.

Don't be affraid, we just have 750 years of bloody rivalry with England

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles

....I was having onion rings at my favorite diner and ignoring the game this morning for about 45 minutes, but it was on the TV....on the way out I decided to stop and have a look for a minute....and sure enough, that was when the Russians scored the first goal....happened about 8 seconds after I looked up....weird.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
447 posts
6,713 battles

I am from Croatia -- is in our blood to watch this.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
447 posts
6,713 battles
9 minutes ago, tugdual said:

One hour before France-Belgium, i to exited.

Will be good game.... I am SOOOO NERVOUS for tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!

• Cool 1