Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

USS Helena

63 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,733 battles

Well got my 2nd Kraken in 5 battles today in Helena. I urge you to not miss the gem of the US cruiser split. She is a ton of fun like any mid to high tier cruiser the higher point the captain the more utility you can have. Been shredding planes with the AA build. 

Happy 4th a day early.

• Cool 5

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,733 battles
10 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Congrats, but only 2 Krakens in 17.6k battles??

No 2 krakens in my last 5 battles in Helena.

[SBS]
Members
3,782 posts
2,408 battles

I'm half way through the grind to get the Helena.  I just can't bring myself to keep playing the cit magnet that is the Omaha.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles
24 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm half way through the grind to get the Helena.  I just can't bring myself to keep playing the cit magnet that is the Omaha.

Dallas isn't much better in that regard, unfortunately. 

3,702 posts
611 battles
2 minutes ago, Slumlord_Trump said:

What can this boat do that other ships of its tier can't? 

15 guns, 5"/38 DP secondaries. She's an HE-spamming, plane-murdering monster. 

[FAE]
Members
2,332 posts
2,886 battles

Omaha should have gotten some love. I also blame t7 mm awful. 

Members
5,357 posts
6,097 battles
8 minutes ago, Slumlord_Trump said:

What can this boat do that other ships of its tier can't? 

Bring 15 guns to bear on the enemy, with much, much better forward and rearward firing angles than a Myokou. Sets fires like crazy, even with IFHE and no DE to offset the fire chance penalty a bit.

I have higher average damage totals in Helena than I do in my T8 and T9 CAs...

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
7 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I was in that camp having played it almost 2 1/2 yrs ago. Unbeknownst to me it was buffed and I played it recently so as to not burn freeXp on Dallas.

Omaha has its weaknesses, no doubt, but it's a blast now. Some tough MM but starts fires, maneuverable and guns all over.

Compared to when I originally played it, it's way better. Keep trying and good luck.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts

i thought about getting helena since there are people claiming it's a gem, but after looked at the gun range of only 13.24km? that's way too short for my liking, so no go there at least for me

[AAA]
Members
620 posts
7,116 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Well got my 2nd Kraken in 5 battles today in Helena. I urge you to not miss the gem of the US cruiser split. She is a ton of fun like any mid to high tier cruiser the higher point the captain the more utility you can have. Been shredding planes with the AA build. 

Happy 4th a day early.

What’s your captain build?

Members
5,357 posts
6,097 battles
5 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i thought about getting helena since there are people claiming it's a gem, but after looked at the gun range of only 13.24km? that's way too short for my liking, so no go there at least for me

That's the stock gun range. She has an upgrade available that brings it up to 14.6km. Still a bit short (I'd love if it were 15.1km instead), but better than the number you're seeing.

3,702 posts
611 battles
9 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

14.6km upgraded. And 10.1km concealment. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,051 posts
19,462 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Congrats, but only 2 Krakens in 17.6k battles??

They don’t grow on trees?

That; and I apparently have negative modifiers in my ‘Be in the right place at the right time,’ ability, because it sure doesn’t seem to happen very much...

...at the same time, I apparently have massive bonuses towards ‘go to the side of the map that looks good, only to come around some rock and find most of the enemy team,’ because that sure seems to happen a lot... :Smile_sceptic:

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,733 battles
4 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

What’s your captain build?

PT, EM, CE, IFHE, AFT, BFT and el I thought about Sup and Demo expert but you throw so many shells as long as you have IFHE you don't really need it. With my AA build I shot down 27 Kaga planes as for some crazy reason he was focusing me. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts
5 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

That's the stock gun range. She has an upgrade available that brings it up to 14.6km. Still a bit short (I'd love if it were 15.1km instead), but better than the number you're seeing.

i know it can be upgraded, but 14.6 is still too short, even cleveland about 15.6km feels too short lots of times

Members
5,357 posts
6,097 battles
9 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

PT, EM, CE, IFHE, AFT, BFT and el I thought about Sup and Demo expert but you throw so many shells as long as you have IFHE you don't really need it. With my AA build I shot down 27 Kaga planes as for some crazy reason he was focusing me. 

I was thinking of going this route with my captain:

ZzQXrd1.png

I have 15 points on my captain at the moment, next skill I'm picking up will be AR.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,733 battles
7 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I was thinking of going this route with my captain:

ZzQXrd1.png

I have 15 points on my captain at the moment, next skill I'm picking up will be AR.

SE is for people who worry more about themselves than dealing damage or shooting down planes. The net gain in HP is negligible. Too each there own I have over 6K battles just in cruisers and run it on zero if them. 

Offense,offense, offense then plane killing is my mantra.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,500 posts
7,240 battles
51 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

With it's 10ft gun range it is tough to grind the Dallas

3,702 posts
611 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

Once you get both Concealment Expert and IFHE, it's really not THAT bad. She can wreck faces with IFHE and CE. The problem is she's equally worthless with either one without the other. So anyone jumping into her without at least a 14 point captain is in for a rough ride. You really need to exploit her 10.1km concealment AND her shells with IFHE. One without the other just doesn't work. 

[TDRB]
Members
2,500 posts
7,240 battles
24 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Once you get both Concealment Expert and IFHE, it's really not THAT bad. She can wreck faces with IFHE and CE. The problem is she's equally worthless with either one without the other. So anyone jumping into her without at least a 14 point captain is in for a rough ride. You really need to exploit her 10.1km concealment AND her shells with IFHE. One without the other just doesn't work. 

Yes and I know the T6 Cleveland range wasn't much longer. My commander is only 8pt on my Dallas too. Like you said it needs a higher point commander.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,595 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

Disagree totally; I'm lovin' my Dallas and it's a ton of fun. Remember, it's not the ship, it's the driver.

1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

I blew through Omaha when there were only two lines and hated it; when I went back to grind out Dallas I liked her a lot better. I still don't think she's the best ship in the fleet, but she wasn't nearly the grind I remembered her to be. And you're right; the MM she gets is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

I was in that camp having played it almost 2 1/2 yrs ago. Unbeknownst to me it was buffed and I played it recently so as to not burn freeXp on Dallas.

Omaha has its weaknesses, no doubt, but it's a blast now. Some tough MM but starts fires, maneuverable and guns all over.

Compared to when I originally played it, it's way better. Keep trying and good luck.

Yeah, this.

1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

All the USN CLs could use a range buff; Russian bias.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this