Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Charlie_The_Cat

Shima 81 kts torpedo build

6 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
6,030 battles

I couldn't find anything on this forum about the Shimakaze 81 knots torpedo build, so I will ask my questions here for those who tested it.

Since a few days, I am playing with that 6.4 km range 81 kts torpedo setup, and although it SAYS the the torps' speed is 81 kts, I doubt they really go that fast.

Too many times now I have sent spread of 15 torps at ~4km  broadside ships and they were all able to dodge it (not a single hit!) as thouth they were regular speed torpedoes (even then I think I hit more often with those), while I get spotted and sunk by anyone in their BBs at 20+ km.

Can someone shed some light about those torps speed as even if they are seen from 1.7km, the time to make a Cruiser or BBs turn in or out shouldn't make 15 torpedoes of that speed all miss (aka passing in between torps).

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

The issue with that build is the range, you are better off just using the 76kts without the speed boost because your hit rate is actually higher (let me explain), I have used the 6.4kms but they usually lead to you getting spotted somehow and when that happens any enemy will try their hardest to dodge your metal fish. They are speedy torps and I once landed a broadside of 13 torps on an unsuspecting broadside Yamato, but that was the only one I've had so many hits on. The rest have had to many people near them or planes that make it hard to approach. I would recommend you switch to the 8kms, and if you don't want to repec your commander you can even switch to the 12s (9.6s) because they also work pretty well. 

Best of luck my dude.

Members
60 posts
6,030 battles

Thanks for the reply!  13 hits... yummy!  I will try the other torp loadouts.

But the thing remains: at low tier, torp range and detection range are quite near each other and using the same kind of tactics yield some results.  At high tier, with much higher (supposedly) torps speed, that tactic should still give the same results imo.

Also, just for some speed comparison: 81 kts is 92 mph.  Try to dodge a baseball at that speed... now imagine a warship being able to dodge it....  that's the issue.

Edited by Charlie_The_Cat

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,953 battles

The thing causing all of your torpedoes to miss isn't their speed, it's you. Or more specifically, your detection. People will immediately take evasive maneuvers when a Shima is spotted at close range, regardless if any torpedoes were even launched. And even if you do launch from stealth, there are smarter players and better detection options at high tiers. T5 tactics do not work well at T10.

Small stealthfire torpedo range also makes situations like hitting enemies running away difficult as well.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
43 minutes ago, Charlie_The_Cat said:

Also, just for some speed comparison: 81 kts is 92 mph.  Try to dodge a baseball at that speed... now imagine a warship being able to dodge it....  that's the issue.

The speed isn't totally accurate with the scaling WoWS uses. While the speed might be listed at 30 kts, in actuality your warship is doing many times that speed.

For example, a poster on reddit played a 09:14 minute game in his Nicholas and traveled 45.09 km during that match.

Doing some maths he was able to calculate that his average speed, assuming the distance scaling in WoWS is 1:1, would be ~158 kts (182mp/h). Meaning that things in WoWS are either moving roughly 5x faster than they should be, or the distance is 1/5 of what it's actually listed as (as in, a ship 20km away is actually 4km away if it was 1:1 scale).

Members
89 posts
8,839 battles

The longer spotting distance of the F3 torps negate their value.  They’re faster but are spotted 0.1 farther away. So the difference in reaction is less than 1 second, as compared to the 12km torps. Another 5 knots does not reduce the reaction time by enough to make a difference. TA is a skill meant for CV not DD. 

Sign in to follow this