You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Praxz

Regretting Alabama Purchase

121 comments in this topic

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

Any one else sad cuz they recently purchased an Alabama, when you could have Massachusetts for 2 dollars more that outperforms it in just about every way? From wows-numbers.com it's averaging 76,202 damage compared to Bamas 55,985. Massachusetts destroyed warships is 1.12 compared to Bamas .79. Massachusetts KDR is 1.98 to Bamas 1.49. Add to that all the testimonials on the forums so far and its pretty damning. The numbers are similar across all servers showing the Massachusetts is a vastly superior ship. 

This is a great example of power creep, they didn't just make the sister ship different, they made it much better. I guess that's how you get people to buy it. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 13
  • Angry 1

Members
266 posts
2,743 battles

You do know that people who buy ships when they first come out tend to be more experienced or at least, more invested in a game. This is why all new Tier 10s spike up in numbers for several months until everyone gets them.

Same with the Mammy. Alabama's a great ship. This is similar to how the ARP Kongo for a whole was a solid 5% winrate better and 20k higher damage than the Tech Tree Kongo, despite being literally worse.

• Cool 6

Members
251 posts
17,171 battles

You have got to be kidding me right?

Alabama is far superior to Massachusetts, and, if you had taken 1 course in statistics, you would know that server averages meaning absolutely nothing.

Want an example to prove the point? 

ARP Myoko: 51.8% WR and 37k average damage

ARP Haguro: 48.0% WR and 28k average damage

Myoko and Haguro is the exact same ship and according to your flawed logic Myoko is somehow far superior to Haguro

• Cool 9
  • Bad 3

[KNTI2]
Members
884 posts
5,838 battles

Wait about two months.

Alabama's been out for a while, and spuds drag down the numbers.

By actual attributes Alabama is better because its guns have better sigma/dispersion.

[NMKJT]
Members
1,902 posts
5,452 battles

A lot more bads have Alabama, they drag its numbers down. NC suffers from this even more heavily.

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
5 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

A lot more bads have Alabama, they drag its numbers down. NC suffers from this even more heavily.

^^ This.

The same could be said for all US ships in general, but especially battleships.  Many on the NA server tend to gravitate to US BBs, but aren't always terribly competent in them.  Thus the lower numbers.  Doesn't mean the ship itself is bad.

To the OP:  you have to go on your own experiences, and not let "numbers" color your judgement.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,438 posts
4,559 battles

don't jink it

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
16 minutes ago, Praxz said:

This is a great example of power creep, they didn't just make the sister ship different, they made it much better. I guess that's how you get people to buy it. 

Worse sigma, speed, and range in exchange for long range accurate secondaries and a faster heal is power creep? I mean imo if you play the Massachusetts to have fun and get the most out of the secondaries you will lose most competitiveness. Using AFT, MS, and IFHE means you can’t take other skills you would on Alabama. I would take Alabama into competitive but would not take the Massachusetts. You just sacrifice too much to have those secondaries.

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,558 battles

Stats are unreliable, only premium players can even buy her right now.  I better get on that right now so I can see just how OP the ship really is and bring her stats down a notch. Just doing my part.

Update; Add one to the loss column but at least I was the first place loser.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,558 battles
5 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

don't jink it

Definition of jink

jinked; jinking; jinks
: to move quickly or unexpectedly with sudden turns and shifts (as in dodging)

Definition of jinx

: one that brings bad luck; also : the state or spell of bad luck brought on by a jinx

Sorry MR it's just my nature.

Seems as if Jink is the same as WASD. We can now start calling it the Jink Hack instead of the WASD Hack.
Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
7,034 battles

3jXsjxT.png

What performance tweaks does the Alabama ST have that allow it to outperform the standard Alabama by 7%? Anti-ship missiles? Or perhaps, it has something to do with the drivers? Nah, definitely anti-ship missiles. :cap_rambo:

It has nothing to do with the audience of a select number of players who purchase premium consistently, and also have the money to spend on an early buy Massachusetts bundle.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles
3 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Worse sigma, speed, and range in exchange for long range accurate secondaries and a faster heal is power creep? I mean imo if you play the Massachusetts to have fun and get the most out of the secondaries you will lose most competitiveness. Using AFT, MS, and IFHE means you can’t take other skills you would on Alabama. I would take Alabama into competitive but would not take the Massachusetts. You just sacrifice too much to have those secondaries.

Sigma is worse on paper only. In practice it is plenty accurate. Still plenty of bullsh 33% pens on my destroyers from them.

The reduced range doesn’t matter unless you snipe from the border. 

Neither are speed demons. 

Mass with max range secondaries, without manual secondaries, beat the crap out of my Groz and Udaloi. Need to back off when I try to burn them. 

• Cool 1

Members
660 posts
62 battles
28 minutes ago, Praxz said:

Any one else sad cuz they recently purchased an Alabama, when you could have Massachusetts for 2 dollars more that outperforms it in just about every way? From wows-numbers.com it's averaging 76,202 damage compared to Bamas 55,985. Massachusetts destroyed warships is 1.12 compared to Bamas .79. Massachusetts KDR is 1.98 to Bamas 1.49. Add to that all the testimonials on the forums so far and its pretty damning. The numbers are similar across all servers showing the Massachusetts is a vastly superior ship. 

Bama‘s main guns are in fact more accurate so I don’t see any value in buying Massachusetts. If I want to brawl with Secondaries blazing I go German BBs. The USN’s great advantage is the guns - and Bama’s are plain awesome

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,360 posts
3,637 battles

I can't wait to see these numbers after a whole bunch of people get their hands on her who have no idea how to play a secondary specced battleship.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles
9 minutes ago, Sensai_Lawrence said:

buy em both. if you can afford one 50 dollar ship you can afford 2.  

“Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.” :cap_like:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,135 posts
6,627 battles
1 hour ago, Praxz said:

From wows-numbers.com it's averaging 76,202 damage compared to Bamas 55,985. Massachusetts destroyed warships is 1.12 compared to Bamas .79. Massachusetts KDR is 1.98 to Bamas 1.49.

Forget the stats. Every bunch of stats has highs, lows, and a particular distribution (which may or may not be symmetrical). Never mind the average; if you are on the high maximum it worked for you. But for someone to be high, someone else (or a bunch of them) has to be low.

[ERN]
[ERN]
10,438 posts
4,559 battles
43 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Definition of jink

jinked; jinking; jinks
: to move quickly or unexpectedly with sudden turns and shifts (as in dodging)

Definition of jinx

: one that brings bad luck; also : the state or spell of bad luck brought on by a jinx

Sorry MR it's just my nature.

Seems as if Jink is the same as WASD. We can now start calling it the Jink Hack instead of the WASD Hack.

you might be having a good winning spree , just wait till you get a bad losing spree in it. Then complain that this ship sucks

Beta Testers
1,068 posts
6,302 battles
41 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

Bama‘s main guns are in fact more accurate so I don’t see any value in buying Massachusetts. If I want to brawl with Secondaries blazing I go German BBs. The USN’s great advantage is the guns - and Bama’s are plain awesome

The Mass can go toe to toe with German secondaries.

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
43 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Sigma is worse on paper only. In practice it is plenty accurate. Still plenty of bullsh 33% pens on my destroyers from them.

The reduced range doesn’t matter unless you snipe from the border. 

Neither are speed demons. 

Mass with max range secondaries, without manual secondaries, beat the crap out of my Groz and Udaloi. Need to back off when I try to burn them. 

The dispersion is the difference in hitting multi citadels on a cruiser at 15km vs overpenning. If you are in range to use secondaries, you are spotted. If there are BB’s in the back like there always are, they can hit you but you can’t hit them. Why would you use the Massachusetts without manual secondaries? I don’t get it. Running with results in way more hits. Again, equal players in Alabama vs Massachusetts is an easy win for Alabama. 

[ERN]
[ERN]
10,438 posts
4,559 battles
2 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

The Mass can go toe to toe with German secondaries.

and that mean training a new captain just for that secondary build. ya no thanks

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Imagine how you would feel if you bought Blyska...

At least they have people that bought Perth, Kutuzov, and Belfast a reach around and offered a refund.

OWSF Destroyers got the big ol FU.

No pity here for you. Buyer beware.

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
3 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

and that mean training a new captain just for that secondary build. ya no thanks

Really depends on how well off you are with commander XP. I don’t think the Massachusetts is worth it to 99% of players. I think for almost everyone theAlabama would be much better. That being said, if you can afford a one-off 19 point captain and are good with poistioning and map awareness, the Massachusetts is one of the most fun ships I’ve played in a while.