You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Why does game center, basically a launcher for exe files using so much memory?

20 comments in this topic

[ARP3]
Members
578 posts
11,919 battles

How can something that is basically a link to .exe files use so much ram? It uses half as much as my anti-virus.

wg.PNG.a36f5c164a9ede42c5fb58b1995b4d9b.PNG

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

There are theories to why, but saying them will prolly get ya a strike on your account.

The center is supposed to give you quick access to all WG games.

I dont run the new installer/game center. I did a work around and run the old one.

Best thing to do is run the game via the .exe and only run the center when there's an update. Not only for "reasons", but it also lags you and takes a lot of resources.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[NMKJT]
Members
3,597 posts
26 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

There are theories to why, but saying them will prolly get ya a strike on your account.

The center is supposed to give you quick access to all WG games.

I dont run the new installer/game center. I did a work around and run the old one.

Best thing to do is run the game via the .exe and only run the center when there's an update. Not only for "reasons", but it also lags you and takes a lot of resources.

I use it to apply updates, other than that I have the .exe pinned to my taskbar

Edited by Wombatmetal

[_-_]
Members
1,745 posts
35 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I use it to apply updates, other than that I have the .exe pinned to my taskbar

Bingo. The launcher is good for 2 things:

!. Updates

2. Notification of new Dasha Perova videos. :cap_look:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
1 hour ago, Cit_the_bed said:

How can something that is basically a link to .exe files use so much ram? It uses half as much as my anti-virus.

The basic problem is it doesn't seem to go to sleep when you start a game.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,442 posts
4,559 battles

I never use the game center. I just download the game directly from the website

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,448 battles
10 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

I never use the game center. I just download the game directly from the website

I think I'm still using pretty much the same install from way back when the game was in the CBT.  Never saw a need to use their new bloated GameCenter thing.

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,596 posts
8,311 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The basic problem is it doesn't seem to go to sleep when you start a game.

No, it doesn't... I usually Alt-Tab out and exit the WGC before playing.... minor hassle, but it's not like I am going to run two games at the same time, anyway.

Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,820 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

It sends information back to minsk in short for who knows why.  I think of it as a waste to have and that they should let people link the wg accounts with steam and not require new players to use the wgc.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

It doesn't seem to cause any issues with anything other than WG games and like Otter I close it from the tray when I launch a game.

Alpha Tester
3,672 posts
4,361 battles

IRL, it's probably just that WG is using some fat libraries to serve content. Add that into the game center probably being a bit overeager to load resources and possibly uncompressing them in main memory, and 129M isn't that much memory for a running program to be using.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,182 posts
5,659 battles
3 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

IRL, it's probably just that WG is using some fat libraries to serve content. Add that into the game center probably being a bit overeager to load resources and possibly uncompressing them in main memory, and 129M isn't that much memory for a running program to be using.

By itself no, but when using other programs like discord, dropbox, etc. That 129M adds up

Alpha Tester
3,672 posts
4,361 battles
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

By itself no, but when using other programs like discord, dropbox, etc. That 129M adds up

Theoretically yes... practically computers today have so much main memory that running WoWS and a normal variety of productivity stuff shouldn't strain them. 8G is almost the absolute baseline for a new system, and 16G is starting to replace that.

Even if you are using all of it, as long as much of that is not in active use, the OS can page it out to hard drive to free up main memory.

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
634 posts
9,732 battles

I keep a copy of the old style web installer that doesn't come with WGC handy for those odd times when a clean install of the game is needed.

[4HIM]
Members
2,218 posts
6,515 battles

Yeah, one more reason I don't want that trash on my PC.  I got an invite to try out Arena.  But it installed GC.  So I uninstalled it and did a clean install of WoWS.  I won't load a game if it requires me to load that trash file.  IMO it's nothing but bloatware.  

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
30 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

I keep a copy of the old style web installer that doesn't come with WGC handy for those odd times when a clean install of the game is needed.

Same here. :Smile_honoring:

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,914 battles

I believe the game center houses the bit torrent client they use to propagate the updates.

Although far from my expertise. 

Edited by c3shooter

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
634 posts
9,732 battles
10 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I believe the game center houses the bit torrent client they use to propagate the updates.

Although far from my expertise. 

It does and so does the old style launcher. The problem is that in both the old and new the embedded torrent client they use is an unoptimized mess, where if you don't limited the download speed (and severely limit or even disable the upload) it will try and use any and all available download speed you have to the detriment of anything else on your home network that is trying to use the internet.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,182 posts
5,659 battles
1 hour ago, Aetreus said:

Theoretically yes... practically computers today have so much main memory that running WoWS and a normal variety of productivity stuff shouldn't strain them. 8G is almost the absolute baseline for a new system, and 16G is starting to replace that.

Even if you are using all of it, as long as much of that is not in active use, the OS can page it out to hard drive to free up main memory.

yes...normal lets go with normal productivity stuff

RrHUB68.png