Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Higher tier RN cruisers / Concealment Mod vs Steering Gears Mod3

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

96
[DOG]
Members
568 posts
7,192 battles

I've been working my way up the RN cruiser line.  I liked Emerald, and I liked Leander.  You can just about play Leander like it's a DD with the ability to citadel cruisers.  I just bought Fiji, and I'm liking it so far, but I'm still figuring it out.  I've been looking at the higher tiers and figuring out how I'm going to configure them, and if I need to re-work commander's skills before I get above 10 points and it really gets expensive.  But I've looked at wiki, and maybe Neptune and Minotaur might benefit from a deviation from conventional wisdom in the mods.  Apparently they are as fragile as any CL, and will really take a beating if they get hit by anything 203mm or  bigger.  Okay, so Concealment System Mod 1 is considered essential by most players.  But I'm wondering if Steering Gears Mod 3 might be a better choice, since these two ships are a bit more sluggish than their down-tier predecessors, and dodging incoming fire might be more important than concealment.  They still have smoke, plus decent speed at 33.5 knots.  I've done the math (below assumes camo plus Concealment Expert commander's skill):

Neptune with CM1:  detection 10.09 / rudder shift 8.64

Neptune with SG3:  detection 11.22 / rudder shift 5.18

Mino with CM1:  detection 8.85 / rudder shift 8.32

Mino with SG3:  detection 9.83 / rudder shift 4.99

As mentioned, they are both capable of mounting smoke.  And, given the preponderance of radar at these tiers, they would be wise to pop it outside of radar range if they can.  I think the case might be stronger for Mino, since most radar can reach out to 9 km anyway.  So it will probably want to keep the range open to 10 km + if it can.  Has anyone tried it both ways?  If so, which did you think worked better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,753
[SQUAD]
Members
8,017 posts
8,371 battles

Concealment all the way. The only time I don't take the CM is when the ship in question will still be seen from Mars even with it(Lookin at you, Izumo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101
[ANKER]
Members
240 posts
4,558 battles

Dodging incoming fire is usually hailed as easily avoided because you can use concealment to avoid being seen in the first place, and you simply slip away during smokes and avoid being caught by radar, which is easily done with baiting the radar or just being aware of where they are. 

My Prinz Eugen would be a lot more maneuverable if I went with ruddershift over concealment, but 11.5km is barely cutting it for this cruiser, and I appreciate being able to stop firing, stealth out, and heal up. Concealment is control over engagements. At any moment, you can quit firing, adjust position, and then continue. If I'm facing forward to an angled ship pushing into us in Prinz while shooting HE at it, I can stealth out and turn around to start kiting without having to expose broadside and get shot while making the turn. 
Cruisers as a whole are very dependant on concealment, which is why CE is a must take on basically all cruisers in the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
617 posts
3,868 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Concealment all the way. The only time I don't take the CM is when the ship in question will still be seen from Mars even with it(Lookin at you, Izumo).

I still take it on Moskva that way your only seen from about the moon instead of mars... :Smile_teethhappy:

Absolutely take concealment. The Mino is not sluggish at all and with CE/CM1 you can run the radar Mino which can detect anything detecting it with radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
455
[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
26 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

Dodging incoming fire is usually hailed as easily avoided because you can use concealment to avoid being seen in the first place, and you simply slip away during smokes and avoid being caught by radar, which is easily done with baiting the radar or just being aware of where they are. 

My Prinz Eugen would be a lot more maneuverable if I went with ruddershift over concealment, but 11.5km is barely cutting it for this cruiser, and I appreciate being able to stop firing, stealth out, and heal up. Concealment is control over engagements. At any moment, you can quit firing, adjust position, and then continue. If I'm facing forward to an angled ship pushing into us in Prinz while shooting HE at it, I can stealth out and turn around to start kiting without having to expose broadside and get shot while making the turn. 
Cruisers as a whole are very dependant on concealment, which is why CE is a must take on basically all cruisers in the game. 

I do agree, only PE is the only cruiser I don’t use concealment mod on. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,097 posts
11,078 battles
2 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

I've been working my way up the RN cruiser line.  I liked Emerald, and I liked Leander.  You can just about play Leander like it's a DD with the ability to citadel cruisers.  I just bought Fiji, and I'm liking it so far, but I'm still figuring it out.  I've been looking at the higher tiers and figuring out how I'm going to configure them, and if I need to re-work commander's skills before I get above 10 points and it really gets expensive.  But I've looked at wiki, and maybe Neptune and Minotaur might benefit from a deviation from conventional wisdom in the mods.  Apparently they are as fragile as any CL, and will really take a beating if they get hit by anything 203mm or  bigger.  Okay, so Concealment System Mod 1 is considered essential by most players.  But I'm wondering if Steering Gears Mod 3 might be a better choice, since these two ships are a bit more sluggish than their down-tier predecessors, and dodging incoming fire might be more important than concealment.  They still have smoke, plus decent speed at 33.5 knots.  I've done the math (below assumes camo plus Concealment Expert commander's skill):

Neptune with CM1:  detection 10.09 / rudder shift 8.64

Neptune with SG3:  detection 11.22 / rudder shift 5.18

Mino with CM1:  detection 8.85 / rudder shift 8.32

Mino with SG3:  detection 9.83 / rudder shift 4.99

As mentioned, they are both capable of mounting smoke.  And, given the preponderance of radar at these tiers, they would be wise to pop it outside of radar range if they can.  I think the case might be stronger for Mino, since most radar can reach out to 9 km anyway.  So it will probably want to keep the range open to 10 km + if it can.  Has anyone tried it both ways?  If so, which did you think worked better?

 As they all said above C.E.  . However I do use the Rudder Shift in my Hindenburg for Clan Battles .

:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,083
[SALVO]
Members
20,049 posts
19,944 battles

I could see a case being made for the Neptune, since it wouldn't be able to stealth torp either way (IIRC).  I'd probably still go with the Concealment mod, but there's a little room for debate.  But it's full concealment build for the Minotaur, absolutely 100%.  Having a concealment under 9 km with 10km torps is a huge bonus to the Minotaur, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,569
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,287 posts
10,916 battles

There is something to be said for dancing like a butterfly though. You have to consider your personal play style. YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×