You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Fitting Out HMCS Haida

16 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,242 posts
7,083 battles

image.png

How is HMCS Haida working out in your fleet?

I was able to move my 10 point commander from HMAS Perth to her and retrained them for last stand, basic firing training, and concealment.

For the ship, I chose main battery, improved hydroacoustics, improved smoke generator, and rudder shift. Her primary mission to spotting for the fleet's big guns but she can also engage other destroyers and take her shot at close in cruisers and battleships too.

How are you getting HMCS Haida ready for battle?

"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go ‘in harm”s way,’ and anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now." - Ernest Evans, US Navy

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 1

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,352 battles

Anchors a weigh?

They do A WEIGH A LOT. 

:3

Thinking of getting the Haida but Indy mission gonna be completed soon so more radars... :(

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,508 posts
11,498 battles

Mine:

gJn39TS.png

I'm fortunate enough to have bought Perth for Christmas and invested a ton of elite XP to generate a 19-pt skipper for her. I made a hybrid build which works for both. Perth doesn't really benefit from Survivability Expert or Last Stand, but does like Superintendent. I don't really like the traverse on either hence Expert Marksman, though I'm considering Adrenaline Rush. Concealment is critical on both ships, and IFHE is critical on Perth, and a very good idea on the Haida as it sees a lot of T6-T7 battleships to help overmatch, as well as some 25mm armored cruisers. Haida has alpha at the expense of fire chance, so it's a good idea to leverage it.

Consumables wise I want my guns kept alive, hydro and smoke special mods are no-brainers. I've gone with steering gears as acceleration has seemed less critical with hydro and creeping smoke to be moving anyway, while Haida's rudder isn't that crisp.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,543 battles
49 minutes ago, _Dreadnaught_ said:

They do A WEIGH A LOT. 

The Anchor weighs enough to get the chain to start falling from the hawse pipe. In the old days the anchor is what actually held the ship. In modern times the chain has more holding power than the anchor. In rough weather several piles of chain will be used to hold the ship in place.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,223 battles
31 minutes ago, _Dreadnaught_ said:

They do A WEIGH A LOT. 

Yes, they do.  The Navy Standard Stockless on most smallboys weighs 3 tons.  The chain weighs more though, and @Gneisenau013 has it right.  Most folks think it's "away" :cap_cool:

Even though I've only taken Haida into one match so far, it was a good'n.  97,000 damage that never happened due to the Sunday morning server glitch.  The Smoke Generator Mod I was key, purchased using my store coupon.  Creeping along with a good buddy doing the spotting work, she's frighteningly capable.  Ended the game with 4 kills; a Fletcher, another Haida, a Seattle and an Iowa.

YMMV, though.

-R

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,970 posts
14,063 battles

Always bring smoke generator mod for extended "creeping" time, everything else is to taste. You might want to enlist the services of a competent battleship player, as Haida struggles hard against radar cruisers due to her short range on both types of armament.

Oh, and fun fact: Haida in full reverse with speed boost will outrun her smoke trail and become visible.

• Cool 1

[SP3AR]
Supertester
213 posts
5,634 battles

Loading mine up with nice, hot, rolled pancakes doused in maple syrup rounds to slowly roast enemy ships with a nice sweet scent!

[DRACS]
Members
4,331 posts

I got this ship with the 10 point captain, so I got the following skills on him: Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Concealment Expert. Upgrades are: Main Armaments 1 (I still have a fair number of det flags), Hydro, Smoke, and Propulsion 2.

Now in terms of where I'd like to go, I definitely want IFHE on this ship. I don't normally take IFHE on DD captains, but since it s single ship captain and the HE on this ship is so potent, I may as well get a skill that allows me to damage all ships tier 7 and under, and all 25mm plating cruisers tier 8 and up.

I'm still very much on fence about BFT. The problem I find with BFT is that it benefits anti-air DDs like the USN ships or Grozovoi much more than it does DDs with no DF and poor AA in general. Hence why I took it on my Gearing and Grozovoi captains. I feel that a mere 0.5s reload buff on Haida's guns is not worth it for 3 points. On the other hand, Haida is VERY consumable driven due to her unique setup making her such a frightening point blank fighter, so I feel Superintendent would be the better option to ensure you *always* have your Smoke and Hydro available. Mind you, I'll take IFHE first and keep playing the ship with only 3 of each consumables for a bit to see how worth it that extra charge actually is in practice.

Adrenalin Rush might be a given, but then again, Smoke Screen Expert could work too.

Basically, it's either build this ship for DPM, or build this ship around it's smoke generator.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,711 posts
28,085 battles

I don’t understand the 3.12 km hydro.  How are you supposed to make that work?  

Max concealment is 5.67 km, so you could be detected 2.55 km before your hydro is usable. You think enemy DDs aren’t going to recognize that creeping smoke long enough for you to sneak up on them?

Smoke firing detection is 2.31 km giving you a whopping 801 meter cushion to fire your guns. Several of the German DDs have only a kilometer or so of cushion there and it hurts. 

I would like to own virtually every DD but this one just doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve been spotted by Haida hydro a couple of times, and all you need to do is charge the damned thing, spot it and kill it. The few times I’ve seen one played well it was largely used for spotting with a few torps in the mix. 

[OO7]
Members
4,217 posts
10,889 battles
23 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

image.png

I was able to move my 10 point commander from HMAS Perth to her and retrained them for last stand, basic firing training, and concealment.

For the ship, I chose main battery, improved hydroacoustics, improved smoke generator, and rudder shift. Her primary mission to spotting for the fleet's big guns but she can also engage other destroyers and take her shot at close in cruisers and battleships too.

"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go ‘in harm”s way,’ and anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now." - Ernest Evans, US Navy

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

I moved my 14 point captain from perth and bumped him up to 17 points. 

I went with pt, Ls, su, ce, se, ar and have 2 available. I will likely put DE on it. 

I put a smoke module and a hydro module on it. 

However, please take this back to wg @Gneisenau013 that I (I won't assume that there are others but there probably are) would like the option to prematurely turn off the smoke screen like we can Def aa. I like having a long smoke screen when burning down ships at range. However when trying to spot ships and trying to stay stealthy I don't want the smoke screen showing where I am. 

2nd battle in ship. Went back to defend a cap and a gneis was charging into it. Used my smoke to stay unsorted as he got in my detection range and then helped my team get rid of him. After that there was still a dd in the cap and I wanted to flank his island and spot him for the team, except my smoke was still showing exactly where I was going. 

3rd battle I had a Cleveland come around a corner in my detection range so I smoked up and helped another ship on my team finish him off. After that an Edinburgh smoked up about 10 km away and I wanted to spot him by getting inside his smoke detection range and again was dragging my smoke screen around as I went to try and spot him. 

It's kind of a pain for a stealthy destroyer to give away its position due to the smoke screen. An option to turn it off would be nice. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[EQRN]
Members
882 posts
10,916 battles

I’m using my Perth captain, but not respec-ing him. No PM and no LS!  So I went with propulsion mod instead of hydro upgrade.  I do run SE since Perth is on the shallow end of the gene pool for HP.  EM is pretty nice too to keep the guns on target while violently maneuvering.  IFHE of course is awesome for Haida (and Vampire!). At some point I’ll work on a Commonwealth DD specific captain, but for now 3 ships working off the same captain has been nice.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,147 battles
23 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

image.png

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

I’m buying the ship today and plan on outfitting her the same :)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,970 posts
14,063 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I don’t understand the 3.12 km hydro.  How are you supposed to make that work?  

It's to detect torpedoes, not ships. Unless they really are silly enough to try and rush your smoke, in which case you have about a kilometer of buffer to burn them as they try.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,711 posts
28,085 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

It's to detect torpedoes, not ships. Unless they really are silly enough to try and rush your smoke, in which case you have about a kilometer of buffer to burn them as they try.

You have 801 meters until YOU are spotted.  Not really a problem to rush. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,970 posts
14,063 battles
11 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

You have 801 meters until YOU are spotted.  Not really a problem to rush. 

800 meters of concealment is an enormous buffer in destroyer space. It's more than the difference between the best and worst concealment DDs at T10 (excluding Khab).

Edited by Edgecase

[CRMSN]
Members
68 posts
12,767 battles

Played enough matches to start getting Krakens.  I went with BFT over superintendant, however I am also still on the fence about this.  As it stands, for almost all matches I've had, I have certainly used every consumable, but it has been exactly enough.  Instead of Expert marksman I will invest my last two points into adrenaline rush.  The advantage will stack with BFT, but for me it will also shave a few precious seconds off the torpedo reload, which for me will be quite meaningful.  

Despite its short range the hydro is extremely powerful, more so if you have invested in the upgrade.  Countless times I have approached smoked dd's in caps (both with and without smoke running) and annihilated them.  Sometimes I have even used speed boost to close the gap faster.   Just make sure you know where their radars are before you begin your attack! 

And if a DD is actually smart enough to predict your attack and they see your smoke approaching, you can exploit this!  I always fire my 4 torpedos at the back of their smoke, the furthest point away from where I am approaching.  Killed many dd's this way too.

The creeping smoke also provides you with another defensive measure.  The majority of the torps fired at your smoke will miss entirely, even just from coasting along at 1/4 speed.  DD's have a hard time predicting  your slow moving smoke.  

Also I'm going to coin a new Haida phrase here....surprise Bootsecks!

Edited by SFM_Hobb3s
forgot something