You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RustyOldFart

It may be summer but that doesnt mean you can play like .........

17 comments in this topic

Members
3,783 posts

It may be summer time yes.  But my word why are so many players HIDING BEHIND THE ISLANDS.  Doing absolutely NOTHING to help the team win.  It has seemed now for the last couple of days that I have been the only one that wants to push and actually get the cap.  Even the destroyers turn chicken I mean seriously.  The cruisers don't support and just hide behind the islands.  I mean wow come on people.  Maybe Wargaming should get rid of the ships.  Its like paying the dang game in the pic below.  I know some of us are old enough to remember that.

Play the game the way it was meant to be played.  Stop being scared of getting shot at.  Its ONLY PIXELS people.  Poor game play just ruins the fun of the game.  Yea I would like a winning match for once.  The lemming train and the potatoes always bite the dust.  And no I'm not even the best player in the game but I at least TRY to have a good round.  But no everybody just wants to loose the match.  Sorry all RANT post.

download.png

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
8,005 battles

What does summertime have to do with people playing a certain way?

You make it sound like WoWS itself has seasons..

Members
22,279 posts
5,775 battles

The good players do it, so it gets copied, because anybody can see them do it.

The problem is, good players do it when appropriate, and always balance such tactics against being able to be effective in against the enemy. THAT part is a lot more difficult to see.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,205 posts
10,893 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

The problem is, good players do it when appropriate, and always balance such tactics against being able to be effective in against the enemy. THAT part is a lot more difficult to see.

This

[ARGSY]
Members
10,135 posts
6,627 battles
25 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

It may be summer time yes.  But my word why are so many players HIDING BEHIND THE ISLANDS.  Doing absolutely NOTHING to help the team win.  It has seemed now for the last couple of days that I have been the only one that wants to push and actually get the cap.  Even the destroyers turn chicken I mean seriously.  The cruisers don't support and just hide behind the islands.  I mean wow come on people.  Maybe Wargaming should get rid of the ships.  Its like paying the dang game in the pic below.  I know some of us are old enough to remember that.

Play the game the way it was meant to be played.  Stop being scared of getting shot at.  Its ONLY PIXELS people.  Poor game play just ruins the fun of the game.  Yea I would like a winning match for once.  The lemming train and the potatoes always bite the dust.  And no I'm not even the best player in the game but I at least TRY to have a good round.  But no everybody just wants to loose the match.  Sorry all RANT post.

download.png

You're talking mostly about Neighbours and the cluster of islands in the northern half of the map, aren't you?

Playing hide and seek in there is fun when it's standard mode, your own base is nearby and easily defensible (if you have the northwest spawn), and "no cap, kill all" is a viable strategy. But in a Domination match, the team that shuns the open water to the south will lose. It's a disease which generally affects the team that starts in the northwest, or it was for virtually every game I played on that map last night (my team, *sigh*). I suspect it's because some of them have brilliant results using the Barnacle Method (cling to rocks and await the enemy) in Standard battles on this map, and mistakenly think the same approach will work in randoms.

Bizarrely, I seem to get the northwest spawn in randoms and the southeast one in Standard more often.

Members
3,783 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're talking mostly about Neighbours and the cluster of islands in the northern half of the map, aren't you?

Playing hide and seek in there is fun when it's standard mode, your own base is nearby and easily defensible (if you have the northwest spawn), and "no cap, kill all" is a viable strategy. But in a Domination match, the team that shuns the open water to the south will lose. It's a disease which generally affects the team that starts in the northwest, or it was for virtually every game I played on that map last night (my team, *sigh*). I suspect it's because some of them have brilliant results using the Barnacle Method (cling to rocks and await the enemy) in Standard battles on this map, and mistakenly think the same approach will work in randoms.

Bizarrely, I seem to get the northwest spawn in randoms and the southeast one in Standard more often.

No actually no match in particular.

[TDD]
Members
1,049 posts
8,500 battles

the problem isn't summer time, the problem is Radar

wearing my asbestos panties so y'all can flame me all ya want.

Problem is still Radar.

Radar now dictates how every ship in game past T5 is played

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

In such occasions I found playing DDs the best solution to have fun.

So far it happend only once that my team refused to do anything. Wish I had replay enabled, because that tier 10 game was so epic bad. Not a steamroll, just a near entire team refusing to push or focus fire.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
1 minute ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Problem is still Radar.

The actual problem is that people think that radar is the problem. PSA; it isn’t.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[RKLES]
Members
8,922 posts
10,828 battles
57 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

What does summertime have to do with people playing a certain way?

You make it sound like WoWS itself has seasons..

When kids are out of school the teams in WOT and WOWs do get a lot worse. When you play when all four of the main US time zone nes have school in session things are notably better. So in a way the games do have seasons lol.

54 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

And yes tactics and strategy can be so easily misunderstood. For example I might  lay some Toros to help cover an allied ship’s retreat by making sure enemy can’t rush after them so easily. I may have launched 10km Torps 1-2 km behind the allied ship so they pass by closely, but do not hit the allied ship since some ships like Dreadnaughts BBs are sluggish and no way the Torps could hit them if they are already well into turn the opposite direction. Used this trick when the situation called for it, and was done with great care.

Now an inexperienced player might see that and think, wow look he shot Torps and hit those enemy ships and did not hit allied ship. So then they try it a little farther back and with a CA or DD that could unpredictabily turn into the Torps or with BB turning into Torp path befor they launch.

This is just one example of countless things that can be misunderstood and lead to disaster.

[TDD]
Members
1,049 posts
8,500 battles
Just now, LemonadeWarrior said:

The actual problem is that people think that radar is the problem.

Aww, honey... you go right on thinking that

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,922 posts
10,828 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

In such occasions I found playing DDs the best solution to have fun.

So far it happend only once that my team refused to do anything. Wish I had replay enabled, because that tier 10 game was so epic bad. Not a steamroll, just a near entire team refusing to push or focus fire.

Fast BBs are also fun, I have seen Scharnhorst doing well this Summer. And my Gneisenau is doing reasonably well, but does lack the 3 extra guns Scharnhorst gets as well as the faster rate of fire.

Hood can do well, Bismarck has been a lot of fun, Missouri... Pretty much any of the faster, heavily armed and armed ships. The ones that can fight hard rack up big scores and are able to run to and from areas as needed.

DDs are great as well because they can travel across the map swiftly and lay down fire support to shore up failing teams. Honestly think the Radar increas has been thanks to DDs being great at this and if ships on a team are packed into their spawn base like fish in a barrel then they will be killed like shooting fish in a barrel by the DDs. Wargaming might be trying the impossible  task or correcting team play by adding the Radar ships in time for Summer Vacation. Since those DDs tend to scare players if the players are not used to dealing with them, so then Wargaming adds way to spot them, and then new can of worms is opened.

Members
3,783 posts
14 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Problem is still Radar.

The problem is not radar there are ways to work around radar.

[CAFE]
Members
1,676 posts
12,189 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I partially agree that it is something copied when good players do it in specific situations (lots of enemies pushing and you want to remain dark).

However, I think there is a more broad reason why most people island camp. Most players do not know how to effectively play aggressive without getting killed, so rather than learn they instead opt to not play aggressive at all. Bad plays are punished far more severely the higher the tier and this is partially why T10 feels so campy. It is just easier and risk averse to hide and wait for an enemy to hopefully push you...

Members
22,279 posts
5,775 battles
18 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

Most players do not know how to effectively play aggressive without getting killed, so rather than learn they instead opt to not play aggressive at all.

Definitely that too.

I was like that originally. I basically had to force myself to YOLO for a few hundred games to get comfortable with aggression, and then learn how to dial it back to the optimum level. (still learning that one lol)