You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
12th_thirstytom

battleship disappears at 11 km-no smoke

28 comments in this topic

[NORUN]
Members
33 posts
8,867 battles

what the sign says, I'm in a game , the battleship yamato disappears at 11km with no smoke while firing at me. I complain in game and others pipe in that they are doing same thing. I though this was against the rules, that there was a range on site from ship to ship and it increases when your firing? am I wrong? I was in a worchester! there was also other ships in his detection range but it did not matter I guess. hard to kill when you can not see but they can see you and shoot at you. you may want to fix your game, has been nerfed so much that I don't know what is right or wrong anymore.

• Boring 4

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

Only one vague description of the event, no proof whatsoever, and several sentences of complaining.  I don't think OP is interested in an actual explanation, he just wanted to vent and complain.

• Funny 3

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,776 posts
4,413 battles

Yeah, replay would be nice as I cannot tell what you are saying happened. :Smile_amazed:

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,591 posts
12,334 battles

He might have been spotted by someone else who eventually went into cover themselves

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
6 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

He might have been spotted by someone else who eventually went into cover themselves

This or smoke or simple lag. Without a replay all we can do to guess.

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
7,156 battles

If no one has direct LOS on a battleship it can fire all day without being detected.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
24 minutes ago, 12th_thirstytom said:

what the sign says, I'm in a game , the battleship yamato disappears at 11km with no smoke while firing at me. I complain in game and others pipe in that they are doing same thing. I though this was against the rules, that there was a range on site from ship to ship and it increases when your firing? am I wrong? I was in a worchester! there was also other ships in his detection range but it did not matter I guess. hard to kill when you can not see but they can see you and shoot at you. you may want to fix your game, has been nerfed so much that I don't know what is right or wrong anymore.

A possible explanation is that you were behind an island with no direct line of sight to the Yamato. It was being spotted by a friendly destroyer but as the Yamato got within secondary range the friendly destroyer smokes up and is no longer spotting the Yamato and magically poof the Yamato disappears. I can not say for sure that this is what happened but it is a plausible explanations. 

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,297 posts
12,401 battles

Yeah, I saw this on reddit.  It's called the David Copperfield hack, just makes your ship vanish once it's targeted by 5 ships.  The only negative side effect is a sexual harassment suit being lodged every time it gets activated.....

Or what Belthorian said .....

• Funny 3

Members
22,418 posts
5,787 battles
1 hour ago, 12th_thirstytom said:

you may want to fix your game, has been nerfed so much that I don't know what is right or wrong anymore.

This isn't Support.

If you think there's something going on that's wrong, it's probably a bug.

If you want WG to fix anything, you need to tell them there's a problem, not trail it out in the breeze and hope somebody with some pull notices it.

If you get mugged, you can't just walk out into a crowded street, yell out a description of what happened, then go back home, and expect anything to be done about it.

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles

Most likely someone else was spotting him and lost vision or he got to island cover, because a Yamato with stealth build cannot disappear at 11km without something that breaks vision.  Even a Conqueror with its stupid concealment only gets to 11.8km.

Edited by Deviathan

Beta Testers
659 posts
7,892 battles

New Romulan Warbird module added recently

gif-cloaking-romulan-BOP-original.gif.af819365bfe05ee62179c17dd0df27bd.gif

But what others have mentioned is true, if the BB has sub 11KM detection, if that BB didn't fire after a time they would disappear from sight unless someone had Line-of-Sight to them.

• Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
1,216 posts
8,777 battles
1 hour ago, 12th_thirstytom said:

A replay or even screenshots would help to support your case. All you are giving us is an extremely vague description. What map were you on? Where on the map were the ships located.

1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

A possible explanation is that you were behind an island with no direct line of sight to the Yamato. It was being spotted by a friendly destroyer but as the Yamato got within secondary range the friendly destroyer smokes up and is no longer spotting the Yamato and magically poof the Yamato disappears. I can not say for sure that this is what happened but it is a plausible explanations. 

1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

If no one has direct LOS on a battleship it can fire all day without being detected.

^^^

This. Any ship can go 'stealth' by being in the right position behind an island. So long as noone has line of sight to them, they can fire away at anything want to, the only limiting factor being their aim, and the proximity and size of the island they are behind. As soon as someone moves into LOS and they fire, they are spotted.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
19 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

New Romulan Warbird module added recently

gif-cloaking-romulan-BOP-original.gif.af819365bfe05ee62179c17dd0df27bd.gif

But what others have mentioned is true, if the BB has sub 11KM detection, if that BB didn't fire after a time they would disappear from sight unless someone had Line-of-Sight to them.

The OP said it was a Yamato which with an 18 Km base detection range would never be able to reduce it that far. That leaves the Romulan cloaking device or something else.

Beta Testers
659 posts
7,892 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The OP said it was a Yamato which with an 18 Km base detection range would never be able to reduce it that far. That leaves the Romulan cloaking device or something else.

Ah thanks missed that, reading is OP.  For a Yammy yeah we would need a replay to see what happen.  Or maybe it really is a Legendary Romulan Cloaking Device

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Supposedly the military has that type of technology already. It is highly classified but check out the Boeing Bird Of Prey technology demonstrator. It was reputed to have some sort of visual stealth technology.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
10 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

Ah thanks missed that, reading is OP.  For a Yammy yeah we would need a replay to see what happen.  Or maybe it really is a Legendary Romulan Cloaking Device

Several people missed that. My guess is he could see the Yamato via proximity spotting and that ship lost sight of the Yamato causing everyone that was proximity sighting to lose sight.

[YORHA]
Members
4,047 posts
7,023 battles

Snarkiness aside there is still the incredibly frustrating rendering issue/bug where, if a ship is close to the edge of an island it disappears, regardless of the distance from you.

I can't count the number to times I have had a fully broadside ship in my cross hairs  (well within visual range) only to have it approach the edge of an island and disappear.  A few seconds later  I get the "SPOTTED" alert and several secondsafter that it reappears just in time for it to vanish because it is approaching the next island.

This may be what is happening but, absent a replay, we will never know.

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles
3 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Snarkiness aside there is still the incredibly frustrating rendering issue/bug where, if a ship is close to the edge of an island it disappears, regardless of the distance from you.

From what I've pieced together, it has to do with whether the center of mass of your ship is past the edge of the island or not.  I've been able to abuse this with the Moskva from time to time.  The appearing/disappearing is probably them moving back and forth and that point of their ship moving back and forth from detectable to being behind the island.

e: I'm not sure if this is actually touched on anywhere or if I'm completely wrong, but it's what has made sense based on past experiences

Edited by Deviathan

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
5,013 battles
2 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

From what I've pieced together, it has to do with whether the center of mass of your ship is past the edge of the island or not.  I've been able to abuse this with the Moskva from time to time.  The appearing/disappearing is probably them moving back and forth and that point of their ship moving back and forth from detectable to being behind the island.

e: I'm not sure if this is actually touched on anywhere or if I'm completely wrong, but it's what has made sense based on past experiences

What he's complaining about is partially what you describe, but more so the lag between the time the ship is detected and rendered.  On some maps, ships will appear only for a second or two between two islands even though they were detected for longer.  @Sub_Octavian posted about a fix but I still have this issue with rendering.

You are correct though, ships are detected by their CoM, as described by devs in several interviews.  There have been discussions of detecting them also from their bow and stern but not implemented currently.

Edited by real_icebeast
  • Cool 1

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
280 posts
9,155 battles
15 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

What he's complaining about is partially what you describe, but more so the lag between the time the ship is detected and rendered.  On some maps, ships will appear only for a second or two between two islands even though they were detected for longer.  @Sub_Octavian posted about a fix but I still have this issue with rendering.

It was never fixed, they tried to work on it once in a PT and actually made the issue worse, so they rolled back and said some whatevers about it but essentially it was left the same as it was before... for now all you can do is trust the minimap, and get annoyed every time ships take too long to render because now you can't even lock on to ships that aren't rendered...

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles
27 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

I can't count the number to times I have had a fully broadside ship in my cross hairs  (well within visual range) only to have it approach the edge of an island and disappear.  A few seconds later  I get the "SPOTTED" alert and several secondsafter that it reappears just in time for it to vanish because it is approaching the next island.

This may be what is happening but, absent a replay, we will never know.

The OP's frustration has also happened to me, but reading your description and thinking back on the occasions I remember clearly, I think your explanation is correct.